I've fallen off the cliff!

1 hour ago, John Mitchell said:

Hopefully you're wrong about forum members. Let's keep our fingers crossed. However, it's impossible to predict where things are headed. The travel industry is already taking a heavy hit, which ironically will be good for the planet with fewer jets flying around. Also, air pollution in China is reportedly at an all-time low due to less traffic on the streets of big cities and less travel in general. It's a topsy-turvy world out there...

Canada seems well-prepared for COVID-19, but the situation in many other places is very worrisome. For instance, outbreaks the Seattle area just south of Vancouver are especially worrying.

Yes same here and not intending to be morbid but we are looking at a pandemic on a scale that none of us have ever experienced and it is inevitable that many of us will contract it. Anyway no point in worrying about something that you can’t do anything about except for temporary deferral. Best to stay as healthy as possible and hope for the best. 

Same applies to the environment in fact - a very temporary respite in terms of pollution but the trend is heating. A report today has this winter as the warmest on record in Europe. I don’t think we have had a freeze at all this year. Some frost in the morning but daytime temps well above zero. 

As for the economy, an airline went bust here as a direct consequence of Covid-19:and it had only recently been rescued by the government. The hit on the global travel industry is going to be enormous. 

15 minutes ago, Shergar said:

Im not worried yet as I have survived the Stella Artois the Heineken the Guinness the John Smiths and the Budweiser virus, sometimes 2 or 3 times a week.

So the rumours of Shergar’s demise are not true then. You can’t believe anything any more. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

It's only the 5th of March, so not really time to panic just yet. However, March has started off very slowly for me with zero sales and only three zooms so far. I can't help think that we're beginning to see the effects of COVID-19 (Coronavirus) on the global economy, which no doubt impact stock photography.

it would be impacting me in a positive way, if I had any incentive left to do anything.  Lots of photo ops in my home town tonight (first UK death in my home town tonight). Lots of panic buying/empty shelves at the supermarkets; folk beginning to wear face masks, etc.

Matt Ashmore are you there? Or any other local togs?   

As I posted on another thread, I had planned a garage sale in April but have canceled it. The virus hasn’t hit Oklahoma/Kansas yet. We’re in the middle of the US so it’s working inward from the coasts where international travel comes in.

The worry is that they’re now saying some people can be carriers with no symptoms. Just because there have been no announcements of infection here, doesn’t mean people aren’t walking around with it, being typhoid Marys.

Amazon has sent most of their workers home, to work from home. But the people who sort, load and mail can’t work from home, can they?  Other companies will follow. If the photo buyers aren’t working, then.....and if nobody is going on the streets to buy the books, mags and newspapers....I expect some publishers that are barely hanging on will fold.

Not all jobs can be done from home. 
Sports may have totally empty stands and arenas.

I had a very hard time finding one of my medications and had to drive to another town to get it. The generics are mostly made in China.

This medication is so very expensive in the brand name, and I can barely afford the generic.

Wash, wash, wash your hands, folks, singing two verses of Happy Birthday to set how long to actively wash.

Betty

• Love 2

I am starting to believe I will be impacted, as i am having concern as a Nomad that i am a walking incubator, and that even if i am not too worried about the impact of me getting it, i can't justify putting other people at risk.    I'm actually scheduled to go to Canada next week to visit, and i think i'll pick a spot to explore for the next 4-6 months.  

ADDED: i am also leaving many forums on travelling currently, as i am finding the whole discourse extremely difficult to digest. The whole "this is scaremongering", just go, "there is little danger" where in fact we are part of the danger.  

Edited by meanderingemu
  • Love 1

20 hours ago, riccarbi said:

Yet, there is another case. Your pictures about Croatian elections are of an interest and potentially saleable, of course, but probably only in Croatia and a few other countries. I have many intresting photos of small Italian historical towns, yet I always sell almost exclusively those I made in Venice, Milan, and Rome, and mostly to UK clients.
 That's why I insist that Alamy should keep on becoming more international and attract customers from as many countries as possible.
A humble suggestion could be, for example, to let international contributors to keyword their image also in their native language (in a separate box) and then automatically generate a human-translated version of Alamy in that specific language.

but we only find out after the fact, and if we have active contributors on the forum from region, and let's be honest the forum is heavily weighted to English speaking countries.  Alamy is not forthcoming on the info where they are present.  We know that they are present in Spain, because we see sales here from a Spanish contributor, but i sold marginal subjects in Turkey last year to a Newspaper through distribution, why not tell us, i would have added more soft news then.  

as for language, this is a struggle.  I applaud the current efforts of offering our images on other languages mirror sites, but after seeing basic gaps from translation on the French one where Translation totally missed the commonly used terms, i would be weary in not writing my description in English, which seems to be a significant proportion of searches based on AoA. 

About the virus, I am, unfortunately, writing from the front. The city I live in - Cremona, Northern Italy - is in the so-called "yellow zone", namely that bordering the towns that are currently quarantined, and we have over 200 people seriously infected on treatment in our hospital's ICU. Schools, sports arenas, exhibition centres, museums, cinemas and theaters are all closed indefinitely. Even if I don't personally know anyone who has been infected and I have no symptoms, I had to cancel a prepaid three-day photo travel to Amsterdam this week, because I didn't know if and when, once there, I would be allowed to come back home.
The problem is that the infection is very contagious and about 10% of the people infected need intensive care and artificial ventilation, thus putting the National Health Service under extreme stress.
The economic impact is also quite serious, not only for the travel industry but also for small businesses, shops, and manifacturing companies.
Hope it'll end soon.

Edited by riccarbi
  • Love 1

5 minutes ago, riccarbi said:

About the virus, I am, unfortunately, writing from the front. The city I live in - Cremona, Northern Italy - is in the so-called "yellow zone", namely that bordering the towns that are currently quarantined, and we have over 200 people infected on treatment in our hospital's ICU. Schools, sports arenas, cinemas and theaters are all closed indefinitely. Even if I don't personally know anyone who has been infected and I have no symptoms, I had to cancel a prepaid three-day photo travel to Amsterdam this week, because I didn't know if and when, once there, I would be allowed to come back home.
The problem is that the infection is very contagious and about 10% of the perople infected need intensive care and artificial ventilation.
The economic impact is also quite serious, not only for the travel industry but also for small businesses, shops, and manifacturing companies.
Hope it'll end soon.

I am so sorry you are seriously affected by this. I live in New York City and my landlord just sent us an email about extra steps they will take to keep our hallways clean. It is worrisome to be in such a crowded city. Fortunately, my main job is feeding cats in my neighborhood so I can stay off public transportation if I so choose.

Paulette

• Love 1

Getting back to the OP:  this year so far is my worst start on Alamy since 2010.

And the coronavirus front is no better--the first cases reported in my state of Maryland are in my county (Montgomery).

On 27/02/2020 at 22:49, Marb said:

Not a single Feb sale. Absolute waste of time making exclusive images available here when they sit gathering dust when they can be earning on other sites.

Nothing about contributing to Alamy is compulsory . . .

Dd

36 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

First British response to this virus?

People stockpiling toilet paper! 

Exactly the same in the Antipodes I'm afraid . . . the old adage about that most uncommon of senses springs to mind.

DD

The experts at WHO are saying that COVID-19 should follow the same pattern as other "pandemics" -- i.e. it will eventually peak and then fade away. The big questions of course are when that peak will occur and how many people worldwide will end being infected (or worse).

2 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

The experts at WHO are saying that COVID-19 should follow the same pattern as other "pandemics" -- i.e. it will eventually peak and then fade away. The big questions of course are when that peak will occur and how many people worldwide will end being infected (or worse).

So far, not here, and there's some talk that higher heat areas will be less affected,  but we'll see how that plays out.  I heard a rumor of a case in Honduras, but that turned out to be suspected only and tested out as not infected with COVID-19.   Cases in Mexico and Ecuador.

This is useful:  https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

1 hour ago, geogphotos said:

First British response to this virus?

People stockpiling toilet paper! 

First I heard of the 'runs' on loo paper was from relations in Australia, then seeing last night shopping trolleys in Sainsbury's loaded with them. The shelves were still well stocked, not so for all products that supposedly kill 99.9% of known germs. They remain continually empty.  I also heard that paracetamol were in short supply. 

Edited by sb photos

33 minutes ago, MizBrown said:

So far, not here, and there's some talk that higher heat areas will be less affected,  but we'll see how that plays out.  I heard a rumor of a case in Honduras, but that turned out to be suspected only and tested out as not infected with COVID-19.   Cases in Mexico and Ecuador.

This is useful:  https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Interesting stats. Perhaps there is just less travel between those "high heat areas" like Central America and heavily infected countries. Most COVID-19 cases in Vancouver have been linked to people who have travelled to China or Iran. Vancouver has a large Chinese population and a significant Persian one. BC now has its first "community spread" case of Corona virus. No one knows how the Vancouver woman contracted the virus.

45 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

Similar situation here. Could be a legacy of British colonialism. 😅

But here in the Old Country my local shop had its normal quota of loo roll on the shelves this afternoon, though I heard of shortages in Oz. The only shortage I've personally seen so far was hand wash in M&S at Glasgow Central Station, where it's normally on sale near the checkout - that was a blank shelf on Monday and Wednesday; they may have refilled by now. Have to admit, I made a huge batch of soup to freeze in case I have to self-isolate, but I don't think I can cram it into my freezer!

Edited by Cryptoprocta

8 minutes ago, Cryptoprocta said:

The only shortage I've personally seen so far was hand wash in M&S at Glasgow Central Station, where it's normally on sale near the checkout - that was a blank shelf on Monday and Wednesday; they may have refilled by now.

You can’t buy antibacterial hand gel anywhere in the UK! None in the supermarkets and none online in Boots, Superdrug or even Amazon.

I managed to buy hospital grade wipes online. Being extra cautious as my mother is in a care home. Any virus that gets in there could be disastrous! 

40 minutes ago, Cryptoprocta said:

But here in the Old Country my local shop had its normal quota of loo roll on the shelves this afternoon, though I heard of shortages in Oz. The only shortage I've personally seen so far was hand wash in M&S at Glasgow Central Station, where it's normally on sale near the checkout - that was a blank shelf on Monday and Wednesday; they may have refilled by now. Have to admit, I made a huge batch of soup to freeze in case I have to self-isolate, but I don't think I can cram it into my freezer!

No hand gel in Boots today in Glasgow Central. I checked. Nada in Edinburgh Waverley as well. I’m digging around the house to find the half empty bottles I have from travel.

Edited by Sally

24 minutes ago, Thyrsis said:

You can’t buy antibacterial hand gel anywhere in the UK! None in the supermarkets and none online in Boots, Superdrug or even Amazon.

I managed to buy hospital grade wipes online. Being extra cautious as my mother is in a care home. Any virus that gets in there could be disastrous! 

That's my worry too, I share support of my 90 yo Mum with my sister, and travel there 3or 4 days each week via two trains and a bus in each direction.

13 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Liverpool looked empty both Weds and Thurs -- bistros, bars, and the streets. Then today every place was mobbed. I thought a football match was coming up, but no. 

I just went into town, a few miles from Liverpool and plenty of food etc on the shelves. No panic buying at all.

Failing everything, tea tree oil is a naturally antibacterial. 

Edited by Marb

35 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Liverpool looked empty both Weds and Thurs -- bistros, bars, and the streets.

That's what happens when Liverpool lose two games in a row. 

Edited by MDM