Your photography new year resolutions ?

I'm not normally one for new year resolutions, but I will be making several this year on the IT business side of things which I won't bore you with. 

As regards Photography and stock I think mine are going to be :-

Shoot more niche stock as well as the local news/weather pictures ( where 90% of my pictures / revenue comes from 

Do some marketing to get more paid for assignments, PR work,  studio/portrait work and treble my income from that side of things

Improve my skills re lighting /flash /  studio work

Chill out a bit more behind the camera

What are yours going to be ?

All the best Simon 

My photographic resolution is to do some indoor, home-based picture-taking. I have a few ideas, and have been looking out for suitable props.

The other resolution is to get a big book, just finished, profitably into print. It's many years since I last wrote a book without already having a contract with a publisher. It's been a labour of love, and, at 130,000 words, a bit of a monster. 

• Like 1

Best of luck with the book John!

I've just uploaded a load of stuff to a POD site and might start to take photos that I want to rather than those that I think might sell here. However it's difficult to disregard the obviously commercial after years of finding out what does and does not sell as editorial.

Edited by Bryan
Can't spell

Take my new Christmas present with me wherever I go! (RX100 VII)

First tryout - Dartmoor Hunt, Boxing Day meet - https://www.alamy.com/search/lightbox/4014585.html

Sent the link to "Devon Live" - who replied with

Julian, 

Are there any free to use photographs from this event that you have taken?

Many thanks,

Grrrr......

Jools

30 minutes ago, Jools Devon said:

Sent the link to "Devon Live" - who replied with

Julian, 

Are there any free to use photographs from this event that you have taken?

Many thanks,

Grrrr......

Jools

to which you replied, "Sure, what's your credit card number?" 

I learned long ago that there's no point in my making new year's resolutions about anything. As far as Alamy goes, though, I always say that I'm going to be smarter about what kind of images I make and upload. Shall see how that goes. I always have a few ideas kicking around in the attic such as getting back to doing some writing, which for many years I combined with photography. Shall have to see how that goes as well.

Edited by John Mitchell
  • Love 1
  • Like 1

My new year resolution - to bring back the passion into what I do.  Photography for the love of photography.  I feel I had lost that in the last few years and instead this was starting to be replaced by certain frustrations, bitterness, obsessions about sales or no sales, and also to keep these negative vibes away from the forums.  Want to stop walking around and only looking at things and think is it sale able or not sale able, look through the view finder and see dollar signs; or not.  My resolution is to turn the clock back  to what I remember when and how I started, how fun and exciting it used to be, so much to learn, to experiment, and sales or no sales was not top priority so never got in the way of the enjoyment.  I have today put a deposit on a lens  for my A7III I have wanted something like it for almost a year now, this is just something to motivate me to move in that direction. I hope to bring some creativity and spontaneity back, change a little bit my shooting style, and who knows could even bring in more sales in the coming year. 

Wishing all you forum members more sales/licenses and all the best in the New Year!

Helen

Edited by hsessions
  • Love 4
  • Like 1

I never make resolutions. (For many years)That way I don’t feel a failure when I don’t keep them.  I do have wants and desires connected to my photography, and if I manage to fulfill some, I’m very pleased.

want to go to the Wichita zoo. I haven’t made it there, yet. Curious to see if it is photo-friendly.

I have a few book covers in mind, but need models. I need to kidnap a few people.

Betty

On 26/12/2019 at 00:02, Simon said:

What are yours going to be ?

All the best Simon

To be uncomfortable... Go early, stay late, explore, talk with strangers, be cold, be hot, get tired... but get the shot or at least try!

Best wishes to you and yours for a Joyous New Year!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dlmphotog said:

To be uncomfortable... Go early, stay late, explore, talk with strangers, be cold, be hot, get tired... but get the shot or at least try!

Best wishes to you and yours for a Joyous New Year!

Relax, don’t fret about the best shot,  Take time to look.

40 minutes ago, Sally said:

Relax, don’t fret about the best shot,  Take time to look.

@Sally

I agree there is a time to relax, look and contemplate but there is also a time for work and effort. Being uncomfortable for me is more than a physical thing it it also a mental process of trying new things and accepting failure. Comfort is a trap that I am prone to default to...  So being uncomfortable is my New Years resolution.

Best regards,

David L. Moore

vibbily