Should I purchase used equipment ?

Both my Camera and lenses are starting to get tired now - I do a lot of shots on the beach and in storms by the sea, so salt, water and sand are the order of the day. None of my (sigma) lenses are weather sealed, so to be honest I've done pretty well.  Sometimes I'm struggling to get focus lock, and the buffer on my D7100 is c*ap, making me miss shots.   I've been looking on the likes of MPB at low shutter count cameras and lenses in excellent condition. In the past I've always bought new.  Just wondered if any of you had positive / negative experience with getting used kit from dealers ?

I haven't used MPB but have heard positive things about them. As for used equipment as long as you get it from a reputable source it's often a good deal. I recently bought a used Zeiss lens from WEX which is in superb condition, as new to my eyes, and it comes with a 12-month guarantee. Also got a Fuji X100F refurbished from Fuji UK - again 12-month guarantee and looks new to me.

Most of my lenses are second hand these days. Quality is usually very good, unless you buy from a press photographer ...

With Canon, unfortunately, they've stopped repairing really old lenses. Might be worthwhile to check with Nikon. 

Ffordes are usually quite good. 

Bought a lens S/H from MPB which was like new at reasonable price.

Bought a lens S/H from ffordes which was like new very reasonable price.

Sold gear to MPB for very good return.

Allan

I have recently bought quite a lot of equipment, all of it second hand.

I got one lens from MPB, everything else from Camera Jungle - linked to Jessops and based in their London Oxford Street store.

All in excellent/as new condition and delivered quickly and well packed.

I've fairly recently had a used Canon 80D from Wex and a few lenses from MPB - all good, reasonable prices and exactly as described (or better).  Well recommended.  Mifsuds and ffordes are also good but it's a few years since I bought used from them so I don't have current knowledge.

I’ve bought used camera bodies and lenses from Wex and MPB recently. All good, happy with condition and performance of kit and delivery speed. Also MPB took back and fully refunded a lens I changed my mind about.

Have bought both bodys and lens from MPB. 

Lens bodies seem to be good prices but i`ve noticed recently that their second hand lens prices seem to have increased.

When comparing to new sometimes their isn't much difference. Was looking at a new Sigma 10-20 recently.

Think i`m buying new here.

Just my take. But the service is always 100%

Extremely reliable. 

I bought legacy Nikon lenses on ebay when I started out - one that I love from a photographer selling his gear - who sent me a check for $6 afterwards because he forgot to actually buy the insurance when he sent it (unbeknownst to me) and was reimbursing me, and one from B&H via ebay - all great. The first lens I sent to someone the photographer recommended to have it fitted so it would work with my old D70. And my Sigma 50-500mm which is the sharpest lens I own (only rival is the pricey Nikon 40-150) was bought refurbished from Adorama. I'm planning to sell off much of my Nikon kit and wish you were in the US. But yes, if the seller is reputable, you can get a good deal.  

6 hours ago, vpics said:

Most of my lenses are second hand these days. Quality is usually very good, unless you buy from a press photographer ...

With Canon, unfortunately, they've stopped repairing really old lenses. Might be worthwhile to check with Nikon. 

Ffordes are usually quite good. 

Apologies to the OP, little bit off topic, however if you buy older second hand stuff - H Lehmann in Stoke will repair pretty much anything.

http://www.hlehmann.co.uk/
I've used them a few times over the years, always excellent.

I've bought quite a  bit of second hand stuff, my last two Canon DSLRs were used and were fine.  At one time I was into collecting old film era lenses and mostly they were OK, but I did get one with fungus, which was returned and a refund obtained. I've also sold stuff on Ebay and have at times seen gear go for very low prices, so there are real bargains to be had!

You don't need the latest kit to sell on Alamy, but I confess that my last two Sony cameras were bought new.

23 hours ago, vpics said:

Quality is usually very good, unless you buy from a press photographer ...

Yeah; never buy stuff from people like me......

Buy from established UK based dealers - like MBP or FFordes - who are carefull of what they buy-in in the first place, who check and clean the kit, and offer a 6 month guarantee, and you can't go wrong

km

Like so many on here I agree the secondhand market for equipment is well worth the effort in searching for what you want. 

I remember speaking to the owner of a small camera shop some years ago, and he said I would be amazed at how many people, manly male, continually selling and then buying the 'latest' all singing and dancing model of camera or lens, he said they never really used it and they just wanted to be seen with the 'latest' he refereed to it as Male Jewelry 

From my view point long may this continue!

Absolutely! I've also bought from (MPB in the UK) a few time and have been very happy with them.

I also bought my Nikon D7000 from a dealer on Ebay... but I checked his selling history and reviews carefully.. and he did only sell photography equipment (this guy https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/alldigital0869). When buying a secondhand body, what I would be asking for is the shutter count.... the likes of MPB specify it by default. 

My best purchase last year was a second-hand 5D MkIII with a new shutter (so, zero actuations) from Fixation. The previous owner left his copyright details in the camera so I called him to talk about the body. He told me he didn't know which body I might have but that he sold two to Fixation - and that one of them was dropped into sea water.

Fingers still crossed it was not the one I bought.

Richard.

I'm using a Canon 5D Mk III bought second hand from Camera Jungle. It was in 'mint' condition and actually was like new. I also bought a second hand Canon 70-300 zoom lens from them, which I thought was soft so returned it to them and they had it back with no quibbles (nice word!!).

John.

Thanks all.  Good feedback.  I may well wait till the photography show, because they do have some good offers.

Whilst I'm tempted with the XT2 I think it makes sense to get another Nikon, at least I can still use the lenses that are in good nick. I think it's going to be a D500, so lets see how the offers compare with low shutter count used.  For sure I'm not going to buy off Keith ;-)

I've just sold my Eos 6D and 24-70 (along with a bundle of small accessories) to MPB.   I've previously bought kit from them with no issues.   I would've got my X Pro 2 via them, but the discounts and cashback over the Christmas period was too good not to consider.

I've kept a few Eos lenses back, but I get the feeling a trade (for a big Fuji Zoom) might be happening soon!

Archived