what do you think about the new home page ?

Just now, Brian Yarvin said:

I love it! It brings some energy to a stock photo site. For the past decade, the only claim most suppliers have made is "we've got everything." What's best for me is the praise it has for us - the contributors. The message seems to be that we're doing something worth checking out. 

I like it too Brian, even the colour.  So refreshing to have something new and positive happening.  I would like to know what the font is used in the little alamy logo top left.

• Love 1
  • Like 3

Really do not like it at all.  But it is presumably aimed at buyers, not contributors, and doubtless someone has been paid a lot of money to advise that this is what will bring the buyers flooding in, so what do I know?  

• Like 2

One thing about the promo video: The only frames that tell anyone that Alamy is a picture library appear for about a second each, and the voice-over doesn't mention it at any point. I suppose it's aimed at those who already know the nature of Alamy's business, but those who don't might be left wondering what it's all about, unless they freeze the relevant frames.

• Like 1

The bright green is an eyeopener all right, at least all the buttons use the same shade, even the one down bottom right just now "Submit Reply"I'm not sure about the opening videos for a site which is predominantly selling still frames. For the uninitiated who don't know what stock photographs are all about, perhaps we should be happy for them to migrate to microstock. I've only got a couple of sales so far this month and they are not too exciting but at least they not in the pathetic $ area.

6 hours ago, gvallee said:

Is it me... or.. ? Previously, clicking on the loupe next to the search field was taking us to a screen with 'Advanced Search' where we were able to input a contributor's name. This is no longer possible, we have to input a keyword first which takes us to the results page. Then we have Advanced Search, but it means we can't see the contributor's complete portfolio as a filter keyword is needed?

Yes - I've found the same.  Also, it now only reports about 50% of my total images.

2 hours ago, AlexH said:

Don't start with the same content as everyone else, find the unexpected and unique" - well its fine words but surely this bold claim stood up more when Alamy actually had a commission structure that encouraged exclusive submissions? The opposite is now the case, there is no incentive to be exclusive and falling license fees encourage content to be spread around everywhere. Alamy's unexpected and unique offering is only diluted by their recent actions. Branding doesn't change that, and buyers will know it.

Totally agree .. I have no idea why Alamy ditched the idea of keeping those of us supplying exclusive content with some kind of incentive (50% seemed fair, especially as many of us started out at 70% back in the day as they say). To make up the shortfall in commission the obvious choice is to put our content with other outlets, not something I ever wanted to do. Maybe Alamy might rethink it one day ..... (I can dream!).

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, John Walker said:

Yes - I've found the same.  Also, it now only reports about 50% of my total images.

I thought at first it was only finding part of my portfolio, but then I searched by each pseudo and the total was about right.

After being rather confused when I first logged in, I stuck it out through the day and it seems to have all fallen in place for me. I can do exactly what I did before and I actually quite like it. At least it's now bright and cheerful and the 'greens' keep me awake!

Jim 👍  

• Love 1
  • Like 1

Big surprise as didn't stike to me the rebranding was going to go live today.

Nice advertising video.

Does anyone know a software which can change that particular color to something pleasing to the eyes? It's everywhere including the "submit reply" button and a bit scary 🙂 

• Like 3

I've worked in the tech/web business and launching a new look is always jarring at first.

I'm not a fan of fun typefaces - but that might be because I studied typography when Helvetica was the "it" typeface. Saying that usually throws a wrench in my web design street cred because younger designers hate Helvetica.

The new typeface and the neon green buttons and bobs seem to me to be unprofessional, maybe looking to garner a wider audience of users and buyers that are usually intimidated by strong bold design. It also wreaks of foreboding - are we going the way of microstock? 

Otherwise, I like it. Always good to freshen up every now and then. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DJ Myford said:

One thing about the promo video: The only frames that tell anyone that Alamy is a picture library appear for about a second each, and the voice-over doesn't mention it at any point. I suppose it's aimed at those who already know the nature of Alamy's business, but those who don't might be left wondering what it's all about, unless they freeze the relevant frames.

VOICE-OVER!  I did not know there was a voice-over as well.

Allan

2 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

One cannot ignore at vivid green like that on a go-to button. I think that's the point — Alamy is not trying to come up with your favourite colour (color). 

Every time I hit the "SUBMIT REPLY" button I get a further dose of radiation.

Allan

1 hour ago, Gnans said:

Big surprise as didn't stike to me the rebranding was going to go live today.

Nice advertising video.

Does anyone know a software which can change that particular color to something pleasing to the eyes? It's everywhere including the "submit reply" button and a bit scary 🙂 

Greasemonkey for Firefox.

Monkey Wrench for Chrome.

wim

• Thanks 2

I didn't like the new homepage at all at first, but it has grown on me somewhat. It's busy, but the overall organization seems an improvement. I get the "creativity is chaos" (hey, that's just like my bank account) thing. However, I don't think that it's necessary to emphasize the chaos with wonky fonts in the heading at the top. They do get your attention but look a bit tacky to me. Personally, I would have chosen a richer, more subtle shade of green. Where is Robin Hood when we need him, eh? 🌳🌳🌳

Edited by John Mitchell
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, DJ Myford said:

I thought the same thing, it is almost void of still photos.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

One cannot ignore at vivid green like that on a go-to button. I think that's the point — Alamy is not trying to come up with your favourite colour (color). 

The bright green does indeed "pop." Whatever works, I suppose.

I'd say my fave colour is blue. I'm already missing it, feeling blue that is.