what do you think about the new home page ?

I stopped looking at the Alamy home page when they put that awful video on it.  Before then I would look most days to see the image they had chosen to highlight each day.  Not impressed with a first glance at the new home page....

• Like 1

I'm more interested in the new logo and text font... Trying to look fun and jaunty....? I'm not convinced, but then, no one likes change do they 🙃 At least the Dashboard remains an unchanged bastion of regular fonts...

p.s. the green, arrggghhhh.... it hurts my eyes.... 😎

p.p.s. are they finally extolling the virtues of having high resolution images? There's a video of doing a crop on a cow picture on the main page.

Edited by Steve F
  • Love 1

Is it me... or.. ? Previously, clicking on the loupe next to the search field was taking us to a screen with 'Advanced Search' where we were able to input a contributor's name. This is no longer possible, we have to input a keyword first which takes us to the results page. Then we have Advanced Search, but it means we can't see the contributor's complete portfolio as a filter keyword is needed?

48 minutes ago, Steve F said:

I'm more interested in the new logo and text font... Trying to look fun and jaunty....? I'm not convinced, but then, no one likes change do they 🙃 At least the Dashboard remains an unchanged bastion of regular fonts...

p.s. the green, arrggghhhh.... it hurts my eyes.... 😎

p.p.s. are they finally extolling the virtues of having high resolution images? There's a video of doing a crop on a cow picture on the main page.

35 minutes ago, Phil Crean said:

That fluorescent green is horrendous; spoils an otherwise good redesign.

Phil

I agree, the green is terrible. Something less garish would be better. 

• Love 1

I thought I was accidentally directed to Stocksy. I really don't see how this new look would work for Alamy, or how it would sell my photography at all. 

Completely agree about the fluorescent green logo - it hurts my eyes! And I feel sorry for the poor cow on the front page... 

• Love 1
  • Like 2

I couldn't quite place it to begin with... I knew I'd seen something very similar then it came to me....

Inov8 Running Gear.

They use a lot of that green with a similar style website.... not just green but..... GREEEN

Edit... the footers look very similar. When I'm on the Alamy page now, it keeps reminding me I need to buy some more merino wool Inov8 running socks. 

Edited by Duncan_Andison
  • Love 1

As an ex-designer I find the choice of main typeface on OWN THE BLANK PAGE with distorted O H N & E somewhat bizarre, sorry, plain ugly (would have been interesting to sit in on the web designers "rationale" for the choice of typeface). Also the new condensed alamy brand logo hiding top left looking apologetic. The fluorescent green, yuck. However the image search no longer showing my full portfolio is a real backward and unhelful step for me, assuming it’s permanent and not a passing tech glitsch. On plus side the single front page image is cleaner than the old design. A few tweaks and the whole thing could look very good. I’ve checked out competitor sites and one stands out as very professional.

Edited by Malcolm Park
spelling edit.
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Malcolm Park said:

As an ex-designer I find the choice of main typeface on OWN THE BLANK PAGE with distorted O H N & E somewhat bizarre, sorry, plain ugly (would have been interesting to sit in on the web designers "rationale" for the choice of typeface). Also the new condensed alamy brand logo hiding top left looking apologetic. The flourescent green, yuck.

Agree, I don't understand the font.  The same letter is both super wide and super narrow in different locations.  Not very appealing to my eyes.

Whenever I see something new which I find baffling or unappealling nowadays, I assume its because I'm a OOTBOF (out of touch, boring old fart).

I'm assuming this is the case with the Alamy redesign and the uneadable fonts and hideous green are a bold and imaginative innovation which will be at the cutting edge of Alamy's launch into a brave new world of selling ever more creative and illustrative media.  

• Love 1
  • Like 4
  • Dislike 1

23 minutes ago, Malcolm Park said:

As an ex-designer I find the choice of main typeface on OWN THE BLANK PAGE with distorted O H N & E somewhat bizarre, sorry, plain ugly

Yes, that typeface grabs my attention... and not in a good way. I'm staring at the page like a dog being shown a card trick (© Bill Hicks)...