what do you think about the new home page ?

Guess I'm the odd (wo)man out - I really like it. It grabbed my attention, made me read different things and check out various collections.

(I hated the old video on top - made me dizzy, so that alone makes me glad to see this change). 

One thing I don't like  - if you click on "Stockimo" it only takes you to the contributor info page - not to the collection of images for sale. 

Edited by Marianne
Had another thought
  • Love 1
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, Marianne said:

Guess I'm the odd (wo)man out - I really like it. It grabbed my attention, made me read different things and check out various collections.

(I hated the old video on top - made me dizzy, so that alone makes me glad to see this change). 

That's true, there is a lot more stuff to keep clients busy. However, sometimes I have to wonder if the most effective homepage wouldn't be one with a simple, non-distracting layout with a really big SEARCH box smack in the middle.

Edited by John Mitchell
  • Love 1
  • Like 1
  • Dislike 1

15 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Can someone send me a link to the announcement notice? Mine seems to have vanished. 

I found it. Another notice done in the current style of advertising and politics, brimming over with empty superlatives. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Chuck Nacke said:

I HATE the type.......

But I still wear bush jackets and button down Polo shirts........

Chuck

Revision, 

I DO NOT LIKE the type , Font, but I dislike it less this morning.....

Besides my bush jackets and Polo shirts, I only use Arial type.

and the new "Alamy" font "SUCKS" in my opinion.

Chuck

10 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

That's true, there is a lot more stuff to keep clients busy. However, sometimes I have to wonder if the most effective homepage wouldn't be one with a simple, non-distracting layout with a really big SEARCH box smack in the middle.

You mean something like this?

The Google aesthetic.

wim

12 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

Good point LOL. 

what's the obsession with The Home Page...?
why would a contributor ever need to go to The Home Page?
I haven't visited The Home Page since joining in 1927

when I saw it was nothing I ever needed to visit again...

Edited by FocusUno
  • Like 1

Jeff/Rosie/Uno:

I check the home page every now and then when I share the Alamy brand with photo buyers. They always tell me what they see and implore me to check it out too. The current page is a serious attempt to engage (forgive the American spelling) people who can spend money on stock photography. Most online businesses try to grab the attention of potential customers as best they can. Except stock photography, it's been decades since agencies have really tried to do it - now Alamy is really making an effort.

As an industry, stock photography is stuck in a hole that it can only get out of if it convinces potential buyers that paying is better than free. (and more than 90% of usages today come from free sites.) This is a big step in the right direction.

• Love 1
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, Brian Yarvin said:

Jeff/Rosie/Uno:

I check the home page every now and then when I share the Alamy brand with photo buyers. They always tell me what they see and implore me to check it out too. The current page is a serious attempt to engage (forgive the American spelling) people who can spend money on stock photography. Most online businesses try to grab the attention of potential customers as best they can. Except stock photography, it's been decades since agencies have really tried to do it - now Alamy is really making an effort.

As an industry, stock photography is stuck in a hole that it can only get out of if it convinces potential buyers that paying is better than free. (and more than 90% of usages today come from free sites.) This is a big step in the right direction.

Yes, they deserve Brownie points for trying to get customers' attention with the new homepage.

I can't help feeling that Alamy took a cue from the homepage of a certain big agency (whose name I won't mention) that specializes mainly in video.

1 hour ago, John Mitchell said:

Yes, they deserve Brownie points for trying to get customers' attention with the new homepage.

I can't help feeling that Alamy took a cue from the homepage of a certain big agency (whose name I won't mention) that specializes mainly in video.

You mean green is the new pink?  Plus, is it really all about movement (video)?  As long as they don't forget us stills contributors.

3 hours ago, Brian Yarvin said:

Jeff/Rosie/Uno:

and that is the point, the Home page should be considered from the eyes of a potential non or semi regular buyer, not of contributors.  We job is to make images they will want, Alamy's is the get them to these images.  

also i saw a few comments that the package discounting was too prominent.  These discounts were always there, so only mentioning it at exit seems pretty counter-productive, now you are only showing them to people who didn't walk away seeing full price- what is the point, beyond maybe getting them to licence a couple more images- the Ikea tealights approach.   

Edited by meanderingemu
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Reimar said:

You mean green is the new pink?  Plus, is it really all about movement (video)?  As long as they don't forget us stills contributors.

I think the default at the top of the new homepage is "Explore fresh content," not video. But, yeah, the emphasis on video is a bit puzzling. It looks as if Alamy wants to offer video researching services. Bright green does seem to be the new hot pink, not just here but at a lot of other places. It too shall pass...

3 hours ago, Brian Yarvin said:

it's been decades since agencies have really tried to do it - now Alamy is really making an effort.

It looks like PA did really buy Alamy for a reason, and they want to move that side of the business.  Add fact they also started to use the name Alamy on some PA_news business, renaming the two streams of live news as Alamy Editorial, i actually feel more positive about the brand.  Now if they could only start to expend outside UK focus on the short term editorial side.  

7 hours ago, Phil Crean said:

Yes! Also on Safari

Phil

8 hours ago, NYCat said:

Is anyone else only seeing a little blue box with a question mark in the boxes that show "Stock Content", etc.? I'm using Safari.

Paulette

I guess they heard us. I see images now.

Paulette

• Like 1

I do like the 'call to action' button in bright green on the individual images which proclaims 'download', which everyone assumes is free, then it takes you to the sales page where the image is almost free.

4 hours ago, spacecadet said:

One by one all my Alamy bookmark menu logos are turning from little black tiles into bilious green circles.

There are eleven of them. Yech.

Mine are all still black tiles with an "a" in the middle. But I am on Safari maybe they cannot change the tiles so easy on iMac.

Allan

OUCH! just hit the GREEN button and got burned.

ITMA

Oh NO! Now I have to hit the green button AGAIN.

Edited by Allan Bell

Interesting article on colour choice for websites here.

The green buttons certainly do have good "symbolicity" (e.g. green means "go", eco-awareness, etc.). Also, they do grab attention, but apparently not in a positive way for some people. Perhaps it's worth noting that most forum members appear to live in northern climes, so we're used to more subdued colours. People in tropical areas where vibrant hues predominate might react quite differently to bright green. There may be cultural differences as well. For instance, forum members in the US don't seem as put off as those in the UK by "loud" green. We Canucks seem stuck in middle as usual.

Just sayin'... 😎

Keel-billed toucan (Ramphastos sulfuratus) at the Macaw Mountain Bird Park, Copan, Honduras - Stock Image

Edited by John Mitchell
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1

I also live in Vancouver; I do not mind the green. Maybe that's because we have a lot of it surrounding us here on the "wet" coast. I quite like the alamy font and watermark. The "OWNTHEBLANKPAGE" offensively kerned font elicits a revulsion reaction from me. Years of graphic design work makes it almost cause a rash; it is hideous! Aside from that, given that the bulk of sales seem to be editorial, it seems that our images are used to fill in pages that already have type, Therefore, this catchline appears a tad ludicrous, and entirely misses the point of Alamy's most common target. If it results in sales at a higher price point, great. However, nature and wildlife photography seems to have fallen off Alamy's radar. Given that museums and aquariums etc. are reopening, one would think that things would pick up; alas not. Most searches have humans (albeit politicians and celebrities) in them. That does not bode well for those of us that photograph animals, landscape and nature.

14 hours ago, mwakeling said:

I also live in Vancouver; I do not mind the green. Maybe that's because we have a lot of it surrounding us here on the "wet" coast. I quite like the alamy font and watermark. The "OWNTHEBLANKPAGE" offensively kerned font elicits a revulsion reaction from me. Years of graphic design work makes it almost cause a rash; it is hideous! Aside from that, given that the bulk of sales seem to be editorial, it seems that our images are used to fill in pages that already have type, Therefore, this catchline appears a tad ludicrous, and entirely misses the point of Alamy's most common target. If it results in sales at a higher price point, great. However, nature and wildlife photography seems to have fallen off Alamy's radar. Given that museums and aquariums etc. are reopening, one would think that things would pick up; alas not. Most searches have humans (albeit politicians and celebrities) in them. That does not bode well for those of us that photograph animals, landscape and nature.

You have some very nice images of local wildlife, nature, etc. It has become a highly competitive area, as you know. Best of luck.

The bright green buttons are fine with me as long as they work. Time will tell... 🌳