A question for ALAMY re Measures

17 minutes ago, David eastley said:

although it is a pain as I track this data all the time I doubt it will impact rankings ( what ever that is these days) as everyone will see the same impact so our relative rankings should be largely unchanged

considering some of the concentrations we saw recently, like the recent change date of June sales to September which had about 40% of cases on forum contributors I am not reassured about this. 

1 hour ago, Alamy said:

Hi All

We are currently experiencing some ongoing technical issues with Alamy Measures due to a large amount of data processing on our servers. Our IT team are working on fixing this as soon as possible but we apologise for the inconvenience caused.

In addition to this, from the 30th of Sept, there will be some technical backend changes to the site which means we're expecting the recorded zooms in measures to be reduced by about 20% - this will be across the board. We anticipate this reduction in the recording of data to be in place for no longer than 3 months, after which it will return to normal levels. This is purely a technical requirement whilst essential upgrades are implemented through the site and will not actually affect zooms or sales.

Thanks,

Alamy

Thanks for the update. 

Email just now from Alamy

Alamy Measures

From the 30th September there will be some technical backend changes to the site. As a result, we're expecting to see a 20% reduction in the number of zooms we can record and report to you. 

If you therefore see a reduction in the zooms we're reporting, please be assured this isn't reflective of your actual zooms. 

This is a technical requirement whilst essential upgrades are implemented on the site. We anticipate this reduction to be in place for no longer than 3 months, after which zooms will be recorded again normally. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Nigel Kirby said:

Alamy Measures

From the 30th September there will be some technical backend changes to the site. As a result, we're expecting to see a 20% reduction in the number of zooms we can record and report to you. 

If you therefore see a reduction in the zooms we're reporting, please be assured this isn't reflective of your actual zooms. 

This is a technical requirement whilst essential upgrades are implemented on the site. We anticipate this reduction to be in place for no longer than 3 months, after which zooms will be recorded again normally. 

Only slightly different from the Alamy post to the forum on the 27th. That also referenced processing a large amount of data effecting measures and they were working to fix it. 

40 minutes ago, Joseph Clemson said:

Three months to do an IT backend systems upgrade? Surely they could replace the entire system in three months? What is going on?

Maybe they are going to make it such that we can view just our zooms going back to the year dot if we wish, as requested/mentioned by another contributor some time ago.

Allan

5 hours ago, Nigel Kirby said:

Alamy Measures

Feels like there is at least a 20% drop in sales as well 🙃

• Love 1
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Nigel Kirby said:

Alamy Measures

No words... 😂🤣

Edit: I just received my email and at the bottom there's a frog, peering over a leaf.  Could this be the creature that's upgrading the IT system?  It would probably do a better job than whoever is going to take 3 months to complete the work...

Edited by Colblimp
  • Like 1

…some people on the forum have complained about quick fixes/bodges applied to Measures in the past – now some are complaining about the estimated three month wait for a proper fix.

If you’ve never worked in IT how can you have any idea what’s involved ?

Or even, if you have worked in IT but never worked on Alamy’s systems, how can you have any idea what’s involved ?

I’m a contrib since 2005/06 but never built a large port’,  partly because I’ve being busy elsewhere working in IT.

I didn’t expect to find myself defending Alamy but; hey guys, stop whinging about measures !

GD

• Like 3

My guess is that Measures has not been working properly for a long time, and hopefully Alamy are going to try and put in a proper fix, as well as probably some further changes to the search engine. 

I would prefer it if they took their time and did it properly rather than further "quick fixes" which then have further problems.

Personally I find Measures very helpful in terms of keywording and managing my portfolio so I hope they sort it and keep it.

Kumar

• Love 3
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, Gorilla Dave said:

…some people on the forum have complained about quick fixes/bodges applied to Measures in the past – now some are complaining about the estimated three month wait for a proper fix.

If you’ve never worked in IT how can you have any idea what’s involved ?

Or even, if you have worked in IT but never worked on Alamy’s systems, how can you have any idea what’s involved ?

I’m a contrib since 2005/06 but never built a large port’,  partly because I’ve being busy elsewhere working in IT.

I didn’t expect to find myself defending Alamy but; hey guys, stop whinging about measures !

GD

in fairness many of us are "whinging" about the communication part and our eroding "partnership" with Alamy.  Issues as to Measures have been brought up since last fall and communication was always reactive.  As for the latest communication, a project of this magnitude, and i agree with you 3 months is reasonable, does not get developed overnight, yet with ongoing increasing problems reported, Alamy elected to wait until 3 days from start to even communicate and acknowledge that the problem, as we suspected, was much deeper than the quick patch they have been performing over the last year.  

• Love 1
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I'm getting something from Measures but not sure how accurate it is. Not that far off usual levels so I'm guessing much of it is working again now. Is that an accurate assessment or are we still in the lap of the gods?🤔

• 3 months later...
On 29/09/2021 at 11:07, Nigel Kirby said:

Alamy Measures

@Alamy  Any Update on this?   It wasn't supposed to take more than 3 months, but i have yet to receive any communication related to it....

Edited by meanderingemu
  • Love 1
  • Like 1