I've fallen off the cliff!

Another ant lover here. None available to rehome at the moment at the local animal sanctuary but I am on the waiting list. Bloody hard to microchip them though.

In the meantime I am mum to an old pussycat with only one eye called Uno. He is also a rescue case having been left outside in all weathers by cruel owners. Has to be petted on his own terms and firmly believes an owner's place is in the kitchen opening Whiskas pouches.

BTW I've also had periods where I think somebody has a hit out on me and my photos - do not despair John xx

Linda

• Love 1

Everything as usual here. But while we're on the animal subject, I volunteered to help with the stricken koalas on bushfires ravaged Kangaroo Island. They had 13,500 applications! Which is excellent news.

• Love 2
  • Like 1

My Wee Port was averaging 2 reasonable sales per month until November, but since then I have had $1 MS value sale in December and thats it....I believe I am on the same Cliff as John, with Zooms and CTR tumbling.

Interestingly I am seeing the same type of Sales figures that Reimar is reporting from my other MS sites in the interim....and Yes, it does make you wonder....

• Love 1

You people are lucky not to have to deal with NY cockroaches. 

Betty, those ants may be trying to find Arthur Bryant's BBQ in KC. I could go for some of their great briquet myself. 

Colin, ants are tiny and thrive on group efforts, but they're not stupid. They get it. 😉

• Love 1

10 hours ago, Reimar said:

Yep - bad month.  Only $15 so far.  Luckily my MS stuff has pulled in 10x that much so far this month.  Makes you wonder.

What I wonder is whether moving your port to MS has dramatically damaged your performance on Alamy. I remember it used to be quite strong.

I hear of many MS contributors who try Alamy and are less than happy with the results. At the same time they try to argue that there is no evidence that buyers check the MS sites before paying more on Alamy. But might your experience offer some evidence that they do?

You have done the reverse to them, where as a long term Alamy contributor with a strong record of sales in the past,  have ported everything across to MS.

Edited by andremichel
  • Love 2

10 hours ago, Reimar said:

Yep - bad month.  Only $15 so far.  Luckily my MS stuff has pulled in 10x that much so far this month.  Makes you wonder.

I'm currently playing with the idea of changing all my RM here (that not sold) to RF, and moving pushing a lot of that content over to MS.

You think it was worthwhile?

I just want to maximise any potential earnings. 

• Love 1

1 hour ago, andremichel said:

What I wonder is whether moving your port to MS has dramatically damaged your performance on Alamy. I remember it used to be quite strong.

I hear of many MS contributors who try Alamy and are less than happy with the results. At the same time they try to argue that there is no evidence that buyers check the MS sites before paying more on Alamy. But might your experience offer some evidence that they do?

You have done the reverse to them, where as a long term Alamy contributor with a strong record of sales in the past,  have ported everything across to MS.

Since the commission drop I have also tried MS with just over a 1000 of my images.

Two things I have found.

1. Totally different images sell there than here. I have sold images there multiple times that have never sold on Alamy after years. Only a handful have sold on both platforms. 

2. My number of sales have not dropped here but the average price  has, and continues to drop, this I don't think can be blamed on having the same images here and there, that would have happened anyhow, as others have also complained about falling prices.

For the last 3 months I have netted more there than here with less than half the amount of images.

I am not a fan of MS, I would much rather they didn't exist but in MY opinion stock as a worthwhile pursuit is coming to an end, I might as well gain as much from my images as I can. 

Edited by BobD
  • Love 1
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Celluloid Hero said:

I am mum to an old pussycat with only one eye called Uno.

What did his other eye used to be called?

Allan

I'm tumbling down the same cliff at Alamy with just one small sale in the last two months. It is enlightening on the state of the stock image industry, though deeply discouraging, to know that my video portfolio at various microstock sites is also crashing downwards towards the rocks below. 

Edited by Joseph Clemson
Spelling
  • Love 1

8 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

:lol:

Best story I’ve heard yet.

I have an African Gray parrot. I cook Echo mixed vegetables, and cut up fruit for her. She eats well but enjoys tossing bits out of her cage and onto the tiled floor. Rather like a toddler does.  If I want a life, I can’t stand by with a broom, dustpan or mop all day. I clean twice a day.

Never had ants in Oklahoma City. Since moving to Kansas, during the warmer months, the ants find their way into her dedicated room (yes, she has her own room) to the bits of corn or grapes on the floor. They ignore the green beans for the sweet stuff.

They also climb the legs of her large cage and swarm her food bowl. I’ve found one or two that have had watery deaths in her water dish.
Sorry, but this means war. Spring is coming and I have to be ready.  🧨🐜

Betty

This trick won't work for you (unless you build a moat around her room) but a good trick for cat owners is to set their food bowl inside a larger bowl filled with water. If they can't reach food they tend to stop dropping by.

Paulette

• Love 1

Not all doom and gloom, this was yesterday's report from Alamy Measures.

John.
Last Updated on : 14 Feb 2020 08:31 GMT
  YesterdayLast 7 daysLast week (Mon-Sun)Last business week (Mon-Fri)This monthLast month

Results per page: 2050100 Page 1 of 1 Go to page: < Previous |   Next >
Pseudonym Your Sales Your ViewsDescending Your Zooms Your CTR (%)
********* 1 751 7 0.93
< Previous |  1 | Next >

Total Views for John Keates : 751
Total Zooms for John Keates : 7
Average CTR for John Keates : 0.93
Total CTR for John Keates : 0.93
Average CTR on Alamy for last month : 0.55

Edited by Stokie
  • Love 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, NYCat said:

This trick won't work for you (unless you build a moat around her room) but a good trick for cat owners is to set their food bowl inside a larger bowl filled with water. If they can't reach food they tend to stop dropping by.

Paulette

Good trick. I wrapped the bottom of the cage legs with Duck tape, sticky side out and that kept them out of the cage last year. I can’t use any toxic sprays, but can spray with vinegar for short term effects. 

If anyone is in need of adopting ants, I get hoards of them, in the spring, every year, in the kitchen.  About the only thing that seems to keep them at bay, is a product by Combat that is a gel that you squirt near where they are coming in.  They gobble it up and disappear for a while.  I repeat this process until summer....I guess by summer they have plenty to eat outside.

• Love 1

4 hours ago, andremichel said:

I think not. 

My sales VOLUME in the last five years has been creeping up.  My REVENUE has been steadily going down at Alamy.  I see no change since last December when I decided to spread my eggs around.  I supply Getty too.  My wife is always telling me I'm wasting my time submitting to several stock sites.  She thinks once it's out there in the "interweb", everyone sees it.  That is not my experience.

• Love 1

4 hours ago, chris_rabe said:

I'm currently playing with the idea of changing all my RM here (that not sold) to RF, and moving pushing a lot of that content over to MS.

You think it was worthwhile?

I just want to maximise any potential earnings. 

Yes.

My 10x at the moment won't last, but I get about 3x more income now as Alamy revenue is sliding down.  Definitely worthwhile.  I've seen enough promising agents bite the dust in the past -  the one basket approach doesn't work for me.

• Love 1

7 hours ago, LawrensonPhoto said:

Well something is different as the overnight update isn't happening anymore, it seems to happen in late afternoon now.

My CTR dropped suddenly to 0.50 which it has never done before.

And only 3 zooms in 2 weeks isn't normal for me either.

Saying that, I have 3 sales already which is good

The later server update, if it stays this way, means that reportage photos uploaded in the daytime can appear on the website the same day, rather than early the next morning. A welcome change for people like me who have reportage access but not live news access. I'm curious if there is a new regular time for the update. 

• Love 1

10 minutes ago, zxzoomy said:

The later server update, if it stays this way, means that reportage photos uploaded in the daytime can appear on the website the same day, rather than early the next morning. A welcome change for people like me who have reportage access but not live news access. I'm curious if there is a new regular time for the update. 

I believe Reportage images do go on sale immediately.....(Once properly titled and tagged) - but dont get indexed until the next day

So - you can provide a link direct to the image, or create a lightbox - if you want to share them with potential purchasers immediately

• Love 1

Last month was bad, this month is worse so far with only a few zooms hence CTR down and not a sniff of a sale yet. There was a time a few short years ago where I was getting 10-20 sales with one or two in the higher $$ or occasionally $$$. It's now last summer since I had anything over $50. Hardly worth the effort anymore, and I'm better off by staying home.

• Love 2