I've fallen off the cliff!

3 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

In my other part-time gig, I tutor high school kids in their homes. A few years ago, I tutored a grade 8 student who kept a pet tarantula in an old aquarium set up in his cramped and cluttered bedroom. I always used to have a look at the tarantula before getting down to work. One evening, I noticed that the tarantula was not the aquarium, so I asked my student where it was. His answer: "I don't know." 😬

😱 I’d have said, “Guess what?  You don’t know where I am, either,” Then taken a powder.

Edited to add: I just now pictured you unable to concentrate on tutoring and nervously and constantly looking around. If only I were there to touch the back of your neck with a feather. Bwa-ha-ha!
The fence guy yesterday was nailing the last board on my fence. The compressor was making racket and he had earbuds in.  I needed to ask him something but didn’t want to shout. So I tapped him lightly on the back. You’d have thought I stabbed him with a switchblade the way he reacted. Hee hee.

Back on subject: I only have 8 zooms showing for the rolling month and my CTR has fallen below 20. It’s horrible.

Edited by Betty LaRue

1 hour ago, Betty LaRue said:

😱 I’d have said, “Guess what?  You don’t know where I am, either,” Then taken a powder.

Edited to add: I just now pictured you unable to concentrate on tutoring and nervously and constantly looking around. If only I were there to touch the back of your neck with a feather. Bwa-ha-ha!
The fence guy yesterday was nailing the last board on my fence. The compressor was making racket and he had earbuds in.  I needed to ask him something but didn’t want to shout. So I tapped him lightly on the back. You’d have thought I stabbed him with a switchblade the way he reacted. Hee hee.

Back on subject: I only have 8 zooms showing for the rolling month and my CTR has fallen below 20. It’s horrible.

Fortunately, tutoring pays better than stock photography, so I stuck it out and lived to tell the tale. As I remember, the tarantula never returned. I guess the kid's very large pet iguana (seriously) got it.

Yes, it's a slow month. I only have four sales so far -- two PU, one presentation, and thankfully a low $$$ one. CTR doing fine at 0.68, though.

• Love 1

8 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

I only have 8 zooms showing for the rolling month and my CTR has fallen below 20. It’s horrible.

Actually if your CTR is 20 that is excellent. Don't you mean 0.20?

I only have 7 zooms for the rolling month and my CTR is 0.77, so there.🤪

Allan

• Love 1

23 hours ago, meanderingemu said:

what's interesting is that the number of images listed here has now increased twice since Thursday, but no new image appear in the portfolio

and now the number is down by 5, which is not connected to any daily uploads....  i wondered if i deleted  images  6 months ago, but doesn't look like it....  

still no change to portfolio number though now the difference (2397-2386=11) doesn't match images that passed QC and are not visible.  Totally confused

Edited by meanderingemu
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Actually if your CTR is 20 that is excellent. Don't you mean 0.20?

I only have 7 zooms for the rolling month and my CTR is 0.77, so there.🤪

Allan

well 0.20 is below 20  😉.

i still remember a useless University teacher who wouldn't test his answers and had multiple choice like (adjusted for magnitude )

a) 0 to 1

b) 1 to 2

c) 2 to 3

d) 3 to 4

e) above 4

and the answer would be 7234, and he would just justify it by saying, if you understood you would have been fine....  

Very high ctr but no sales. Almost 2 years ago I covered the filming of War Of The Worlds and put the images up here exclusive.BIG mistake as I never sold anything and the programme (yes, I know it turned out to be more BBC woke tripe) has been aired and gone. I had some very good images in that collection but alas, they went into a big black hole here.wasted. 

• Like 1
  • Dislike 3

It is quite discouraging not to get any kind of response for your work. Even a zoom every now and then would do. CTR may affect how your images are shown, but it's also what they call gamification these days; it is very addictive. You feel good when it goes up and frustrated when it goes down - and you check your rating everyday. Most days it's just disappointing.

At least 'Images sold in...' -topic gives some pleasure when 'Your Images' does not. Happy to see that it is actually possible to license images and even with reasonable fees every now and then. 

• Love 2

1 hour ago, JaniMarkus Hasa said:

At least 'Images sold in...' -topic gives some pleasure when 'Your Images' does not. Happy to see that it is actually possible to license images and even with reasonable fees every now and then. 

I'll have to take your word for it.

Edited by Marb

Would the Covid 19 virus play a role in the downturn of activity, the Chinese economy is in lockdown and people are being told to stay home, anyway this should affect the Personal Use sales.

• Love 1

On 16/02/2020 at 02:18, Betty LaRue said:

When I was a kid I had my mother collecting flys for me for my "pet" spider. When she came to see it and found it was a black widow with hundreds of babies she wouldn't collect any more flys. Then the tiny little babies seem to disappear through the vent holes I had in the jar lid. I gave up on that spider.

As for the images I'm at 5 this month which is a bit down but not as down as that $.

• Love 1

Some glimmers of hope:

I just got 2 of the 3 zooms by someone looking for photographs of my suburban hometown today, so fingers crossed.

The first image licensed this year here was taken in the small beach community where my family has a summer cottage, so I'm feeling more confident in my decision to leave many of my small town American photographs here, mostly as RM. My editorial pseudo seems to be seeing more action. 

Just licensed nine images directly earlier today to an overseas client, so my renewed efforts in that direction are paying off. Uploading to Alamy is so much easier, so hoping that things turn around and return to the nice regular modest to excellent sales I was seeing in the first half of 2019. Looking back my February 2019 started with a $10 license, followed a week later by one for $75 so maybe history will repeat itself. 

• Love 1

I went through a bad spell of few zooms and sales towards the end of last year. I then started uploading images from my backlog (I tend to upload during the colder months when not travelling or gardening so much) and things picked up nicely. I think it was David Kirkpatrick (?) who recommended uploading 'little and often' to keep your CTR etc at a reasonable level. It seems to work for me.

• Love 1

On 19/02/2020 at 01:18, andremichel said:

Still only 4 sales this month. Zooms and CTR still weak. My monthly sales chart certainly looks like a cliff edge compared to previous months.

I wonder if things have slowed down in the invoicing department due to the sale to PA Media. There might be some kind of transition going on.

• Love 2

5 hours ago, John Walker said:

Update:

Alamy has saved me just before I landed on the rocks - 4 sales have come in 🙂.  Zooms have stopped dropping but still still sitting at a low 20.

John

Ok you may have spilled some of your drink on the way down....but looks like you have landed on your feet with four sales to cushion the fall....Cheers 😀 

• Love 1

15 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

I wonder if things have slowed down in the invoicing department due to the sale to PA Media. There might be some kind of transition going on.

I’ve wondered the same thing. I’m looking for an excuse. After all, it couldn’t be my images, could it? 😎

• Love 1