August 2019 Favorite Uploads

Regis

Johnnie5 commented my original horizontal Neptune image would have more uses in portrait format. I agree and here it is..

I cropped the original horizontal photoshop file to portrait format, but that made the face too large for the background. So I scaled back only the photoshop face module to 87% of the original face, for a better fit.

Good advice. Thanks Johnnie5

poseidon-neptune-face-in-the-waves-mythi

Edited by Bill Brooks
clarity

An Australian Bird of Paradise displaying in tropical rainforest in Queensland. Taken a few days ago.

What a show it was!!

On the first day, it was raining and there was next to no light at forest floor level. I did not get anything.

The next day, he came back and performed two impressive displays.

Victoria's Riflebird (Ptiloris victoriae).

W63AF9.jpg

Almost heart shape. Still practising...

W63ANJ.jpg

W63BF9.jpg

W63C8C.jpg

• Love 3
  • Like 2

Rathtrevor Beach Provincial Park on Vancouver Island, BC. Panoramic stitch of 4 frames,  Canon EOS 6D with 24-105L lens,  24mm focal length.  

wide-panoramic-scenic-landscape-view-of-

Pic taken mid-June '19.  This is looking across Strait of Georgia towards Sunshine Coast.  This was taken couple of hours before sunset;  I should have waited as sky simply burned couple of hours later, but this is not bad either.

• Love 1

The race to the finish line of a top level cycle race as far as a photographer goes is a few milliseconds of blind panic, of jostling elbows and trying not to photograph an elbow, of trying to pick out the rider likely to win from the pack and then hoping the lens does its job. For the winning rider to [appear to] look down said lens is pure icing. Image uploaded immediately but as yet I don't think it's had any takers.

w72mty.jpg

• Love 3
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, The Blinking Eye said:

My first foray into being a member of the paparazzi.  USA presidential candidate Elizabeth Warren during a post-rally photo op with fans.  She took a picture with anyone who wanted one with her.

Elizabeth Warren for United States President rally, Oakland, California on May 31, 2019.  Close up of Elizabeth Warren shaking hands with a fan. Stock Photo

I like the way the greeting is echoed in the smart phone on the left, good picture.

Some older ones that I'd wanted to upload.

A common snapping turtle under water surface in an Eakins Park pond in Fairfax County, Virginia. Stock Photo

Snapping turtle under water, Eakins Park, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA

Paquita drinking coffee.  She was the mother of a Nicaraguan lawyer who was the father of Reynaldo (photo also available). Stock Photo

Paquita drinking coffee.  One of the Sandinistas from the time of Carlos Fonseca.  She had a son with another Sandinista who himself shared a safehouse with Fonseca.

Housefly (Musca domestica) on a wooden outdoor table edge. Stock Photo

Housefly on an outdoor teak table.  Taken with a Nikon D50 (my first DSLR) and a 105mm micro lens.

• Love 1

On 01/08/2019 at 13:11, Bill Brooks said:

Johnnie5 commented my original horizontal Neptune image would have more uses in portrait format. I agree and here it is..

I cropped the original horizontal photoshop file to portrait format, but that made the face too large for the background. So I scaled back only the photoshop face module to 87% of the original face, for a better fit.

Good advice. Thanks Johnnie5

poseidon-neptune-face-in-the-waves-mythi

Nice job.  Now that you've done that think about doing the two versions without the face maybe with references to your originals to illustrate what could be done to customize the photo.  I've had photos sell for an element in a book cover and another as part of a movie poster and DVD cover for $$$$.  They used my photo of Caesars Palace in Las Vegas.

The Hangover 3 Stock Photo

Been a quiet month for photography, but I spotted this contented pig dozing and wallowing in a mud bath while walking around Beamish museum.

pig-wallowing-in-a-mud-bath-to-keep-cool

Edited by Bryan
  • Love 1
  • Like 3

Have just had three excepted through reportage as were noisy due to bad light - but am chuffed to have got them as a rather rare subject in itself.  Just goes to show sometimes when you spot something you dont recognize while driving it is worth stopping and grabbing the camera.  This is a leucistic jackdaw - and a cracking example of one too.

W8DXND.jpg

• Like 1

On 05/08/2019 at 12:36, Avpics said:

The race to the finish line of a top level cycle race as far as a photographer goes is a few milliseconds of blind panic, of jostling elbows and trying not to photograph an elbow, of trying to pick out the rider likely to win from the pack and then hoping the lens does its job. For the winning rider to [appear to] look down said lens is pure icing. Image uploaded immediately but as yet I don't think it's had any takers.

w72mty.jpg

cracking shot 👍

9 hours ago, Bryan said:

Been a quiet month for photography, but I spotted this contented pig dozing and wallowing in a mud bath while walking around Beamish museum.

love this! happy as a pig in ....   

• Love 1

On 09/08/2019 at 07:48, Bryan said:

You weren't there on Monday afternoon, were you? We thought they were out of sight in the nice cool byre but a helpful child spotted, er, probably her, from a vantage point. Same pig, same Pockerley puddle....

Edited by spacecadet

On 08/08/2019 at 11:34, Johnnie5 said:

Nice job.  Now that you've done that think about doing the two versions without the face maybe with references to your originals to illustrate what could be done to customize the photo. 

OK, but I think I will submit a completely different background and leave neptune as is. The new one has been sitting on my boot drive as half done,  until I find a face or something to put in the middle. Maybe submit it as a background only, for the client to use in something bigger..

On 08/08/2019 at 23:48, Bryan said:

Great pic. That's one very happy-looking and lucky piggy. Over here, he most likely would spend his life crammed in an industrial barn with hundreds of his fellow inmates and never see the light of day.

• Love 2