August 2019 Favorite Uploads

Regis

Weir on The River Thames at Marlow in Buckinghamshire, UK. A heatwave (by UK standards) with blue sky with no clouds so had my circular polariser on all day.

This image was actually 6 portrait images that photoshop did an amazing job at stitching together.

a-view-of-the-weir-on-the-river-thames-at-marlow-in-buckinghamshire-uk-WD9XJA.jpg

• Love 1
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Regis said:

Hi Paulette, 

Yes they are in the water.

And I can tell you that I have myself already seen crocodile just there and not far from there...

Yes, I am not really good at keywording...

When you put a word like "fool-hardy" do you put the hyphen or not?

Thank you for your time.

Regis

Hyphens are ignored in search, and the words truncated, so fool-hardy would search as foolhardy. If you need two words separated but kept together as one tag, use a space. A comma will separate them into two.

• Like 1

Young boy with REZIST t-shirt and romanian flag at protest against allegations of on-going corruption within the government of Romania, in Bucharest Stock Photo

Protest in Bucharest.  This gave me an appreciation of how difficult the Live News is (got prior access).  i actually totally missed this shot in my submission (sitting i quiet park, struggling with crappy connection, running to nearest McDonalds), until i reviewed pictures at end of day. 

Edited by meanderingemu
  • Love 1

I just happened to walk by and catch these shots in downtown Minneapolis. It's a beautiful building I remember from my childhood there. Apparently, the architecture is very special. It is one of very few buildings in the world that uses techniques similar to those used in building suspension bridges.

Exterior window washers dangling outside Marquette Plaza, the former Federal Reserve Bank building at 250 Marquette, Minneapolis, Minnesota. Stock PhotoExterior window washers dangling outside Marquette Plaza, the former Federal Reserve Bank building at 250 Marquette, Minneapolis, Minnesota. Stock Photo

• Love 1

22 hours ago, The Blinking Eye said:

I just happened to walk by and catch these shots in downtown Minneapolis. It's a beautiful building I remember from my childhood there. Apparently, the architecture is very special. It is one of very few buildings in the world that uses techniques similar to those used in building suspension bridges.

Exterior window washers dangling outside Marquette Plaza, the former Federal Reserve Bank building at 250 Marquette, Minneapolis, Minnesota. Stock PhotoExterior window washers dangling outside Marquette Plaza, the former Federal Reserve Bank building at 250 Marquette, Minneapolis, Minnesota. Stock Photo

That is quite a building. Hope it's earthquake-proof.

Thought I'd sneak this one in before the month comes to a close. It has a grittiness to it that I like for some reason. Older neighbourhoods like this are being transformed as Vancouver becomes increasingly built-up and gentrified.  I captured it with my Sony a6000 and Sony 16mm lens with a 0.75X ultra-wide converter attached.

Main Street and Broadway, Vancouver, Canada

the-historic-1912-lee-building-on-the-co

Edited by John Mitchell
  • Like 1

It's been a quiet month with Alamy, both with uploads and sales. Lots planned for September, both reportage and stock. These are two favourites from only 8 uploads, of George Monbiot and Catrina Davies in conversation at Oxford's Broad Street Blackwells Bookshop.

WA829M.jpg

WA82AX.jpg

1 hour ago, John Mitchell said:

That is quite a building. Hope it's earthquake-proof.

I haven't ever heard of an earthquake in Minnesota. The federal government sold the building a few years ago, and it was improved and has a rare LEED Platinum certification which is a big deal, I guess. That means it's super green (environmentally prudent). A huge skyscraper in Saudi Arabia called Kings Centre was modeled after it. These are the things I learn when I sell stock photos. 🙂

Edited by The Blinking Eye
typo

On 30/08/2019 at 14:53, meanderingemu said:

Young boy with REZIST t-shirt and romanian flag at protest against allegations of on-going corruption within the government of Romania, in Bucharest Stock Photo

Protest in Bucharest.  This gave me an appreciation of how difficult the Live News is (got prior access).  i actually totally missed this shot in my submission (sitting i quiet park, struggling with crappy connection, running to nearest McDonalds), until i reviewed pictures at end of day. 

You could still have uploaded at the end of the day - one never knows who may like it for editorial, or indeed reportage. Nice shot :) [btw - I once sat in a field in my car in the pouring rain.  I had to open the car windows to try and grab as much signal as possible, as the reception was so bad (and of course worse with the rain). I think it took me 90 mins to file as the connection kept timing out, and there was nowhere else to go to upload (!) - all I thought was, everyone else would be having same issues .... (though the staffers may have some kind of booster).

36 minutes ago, BidC said:

You could still have uploaded at the end of the day - one never knows who may like it for editorial, or indeed reportage. Nice shot :) [btw - I once sat in a field in my car in the pouring rain.  I had to open the car windows to try and grab as much signal as possible, as the reception was so bad (and of course worse with the rain). I think it took me 90 mins to file as the connection kept timing out, and there was nowhere else to go to upload (!) - all I thought was, everyone else would be having same issues .... (though the staffers may have some kind of booster).

thanks.  i guess since i had to ask for access, i wanted to respect the one hour rules, plus i had uploaded 3 distinct sets from the protest, so i decided to go with the straight micro route for this one. 

i can imagine your frustration in your car

it was weird for signal,  i presume #freeroamers got relegated. 

• Love 1

6 minutes ago, meanderingemu said:

thanks.  i guess since i had to ask for access, i wanted to respect the one hour rules, plus i had uploaded 3 distinct sets from the protest, so i decided to go with the straight micro route for this one. 

i can imagine your frustration in your car

it was weird for signal,  i presume #freeroamers got relegated. 

I guess you could always mention when you ask for access if it is OK to 'break the rule' if access poor. On a really demanding day, even the Downing Street togs have had problems (I think July 24th was one example, though can't remember the exact date). The rain, and yes excessive use of the available network, can cause problems.  Alamy are looking for sales, so filing at the end of the day (possibly for internet, or next days news) is still a sale for them as well - however, you would need to confirm that 'logic' with them :) Best wishes for next time !

Edited by BidC
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

Thought I'd sneak this one in before the month comes to a close. It has a grittiness to it that I like for some reason. Older neighbourhoods like this are being transformed as Vancouver becomes increasingly built-up and gentrified.  I captured it with my Sony a6000 and Sony 16mm lens with a 0.75X ultra-wide converter attached.

Main Street and Broadway, Vancouver, Canada

the-historic-1912-lee-building-on-the-co

nice shot.  love the area.