So how is your 2018 going, eh?

6 hours ago, Joseph Clemson said:

Then, as Allan notes,  Alamy made another change to the search engine in May 2018 which returned it largely to the state it was in 2017. 

Interesting. I lost this thing. Where's the post about it?

Stefano

Barcelona photographer

15 minutes ago, stipe said:

Interesting. I lost this thing. Where's the post about it?

Stefano

Barcelona photographer

Jeff Greenberg speculated that there had been a change in the search engine on April 30th in ranking shake-up of some sort. I didn't comment on that thread at the time but I looked at my benchmark searches and concurred that something had changed as my images were appearing in noticeably different (mostly lower) positions. That thread didn't really take off and the discussion fizzled out. At the end of May there was further speculation about a reduction in the number of zooms some contributors were getting, based on the notion that a pause in submitting affected the zooms a contributor gets.  That notion didn't seem to hold much water but I did add a comment in that thread that I thought the reduction in zooms being experienced may be linked to the search engine change Jeff had noticed some weeks earlier. Looking at my Alamy measures data  now I can see a clear pattern where I was getting below Alamy average CTR (and my own previous average CTR) throughout 2017, followed by a massive boost in views, zooms and sales which took my CTR well above average, and which lasted until early May 2018. Whatever change had been made in late 2017 was reversed in early May 2018 and since then my views, zooms and sales have become almost non-existent. 

It presumably follows that if my own zooms etc have declined then others will have had the opposite experience (assuming Alamy's overall sales have remained the same or better). The reports of varying experience I'm seeing seem to bear that out. 

Jan - Jun 2017 : 26 sales for $456 net (average number of images on sale ~ 2,900)

Jan - Jun 2018 : 33 sales for $470 net (average number of images on sale ~ 3,700)

Pleased to be up on last year :), but sales revenue per image on sale appear to going down :(.

I shouldn't be too pessimistic though as I've added quite a lot of images recently, so they haven't had much time to sell (or to be reported as sales). Hopefully some will appear as sales in the second half of 2018. ;)

Mark 

Sales 55% of 2017

Revenue 62% of 2017

2017 sales Jan. - June:   78

2018 sales Jan. - June:   89, +14%

7% more images so far added this year.

John.

5 hours ago, NYCat said:

I hope you aren't offended, Marb, but you do remind me of this character from Lil" Abner comics....  Image result for joe btfsplk images

Paulette

:lol: Forgot that one! I was too busy envying Daisy May’s figure! Or is it Daisy Mae?

On 02/07/2018 at 17:36, Marb said:

July is looking to be just as dead as June for me. Stopped uploading. No point.

Cheer up Marb, the sun is still shining!!

John.

On 02/07/2018 at 17:36, Marb said:

July is looking to be just as dead as June for me. Stopped uploading. No point.

I've just had a sale on my very first Alamy image from 2009- from my QC submission. Give it a chance.

On 04/07/2018 at 10:20, Stokie said:

Cheer up Marb, the sun is still shining!!

John.

I hate this constant, relentless hot weather. Far too much and drying up my plants. Can’t keep up with the watering. We need rain.

still no sale. I genuinely can’t be bothered to pick up my camera, especially in this heat.

Archived