So how is your 2018 going, eh?

35 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

Any time I need cheering up I pop over to Youtube and watch old B52 clips - some going back to their first gigs in the 1970s. 

A truly fantastic cheerful band, and they all seem like such nice people. 

Oh dear, I hate to say this but the B52  ‘s are another of those bands that really grate. That shouty voice. What I will say though is that they actually have their own individual sound at least, not like todays music which all has that same robotic autotune effect.

My soundtrack growing up was, and still is to some extent,  Oldfield, Jarre, Tangerine Dream, Floyd, Eno, Gabriel, Vangelis,  Kraftwerk, Laurie Anderson, Kate Bush etc., There isn’t a day goes by without listening to something by early TD.

1 hour ago, geogphotos said:

Blimey O'Riley that stuff is not going to lift your mood Marb! 

Bop around the room to Loveshack or Rock Lobster....I'm sure your sales will pick up with all that positivity booming around

Er, no thank you. I would be wanting to put my foot through my speakers in a very short space of time, as nice as the people may be in the band. Almost as bad as The Beautiful South, Bob Marley, Mowtown, Northern Soul, Opera and Rap!

The music I mentioned can be very uplifting and inspirational. In fact, it was almost exactly 30 years ago I was at the Docklands concert watching Jarre in the wind and rain. I managed a few 35mm slides but very very grainy as I had a 600mm college lens.

My stock photo mood is such that I would need something really uplifting; perhaps Leonard Cohen would be an appropriate first step! ;)

Or a couple by the Rolling Stones: "I Can't Get No Satisfaction" (I've tried ;) ) and "Nineteenth Nervous Breakdown" would fit the bill.

Any classical Requiem would do.

13 hours ago, Marb said:

Oh dear, I hate to say this but the B52  ‘s are another of those bands that really grate. That shouty voice. What I will say though is that they actually have their own individual sound at least, not like todays music which all has that same robotic autotune effect.

My soundtrack growing up was, and still is to some extent,  Oldfield, Jarre, Tangerine Dream, Floyd, Eno, Gabriel, Vangelis,  Kraftwerk, Laurie Anderson, Kate Bush etc., There isn’t a day goes by without listening to something by early TD.

They're not mutually exclusive. At least not all of them. Don't care too much for Jarre. Good memories of the early Floyd and TD (Ricochet; Rubicon) though.

Have a second look at REM with Kate Pierson. I really like it the way it is. Including the B-52 flavor. But it is actually meant as, dare I say it, irony. And so is most if not all of B-52. Not REM of course , because they are usually dead serious.

Now think if the song is apt. ;-)

wim

(good occasion to play Ricochet and maybe even Rubycon - remastered both)

14 hours ago, Marb said:

Wow  ! .... all great stuff (apart from P Gabriel !). Have lots of the above at home. Ommadawn is just amazing. My Mum got me in to Tangerine Dream, P Floyd, JMJarre. Along with Hawkwind and Fairport Convention....

Currently listening to Miles Davis (In a Silent Way)  while I flaff around with old images in Alamy Image Manager.....

If anyone interested, The Police guitarist Andy Summers does a lot of photography https://andysummers.com/photography

:D

45 minutes ago, AlbertSnapper said:

Wow  ! .... all great stuff (apart from P Gabriel !). Have lots of the above at home. Ommadawn is just amazing. My Mum got me in to Tangerine Dream, P Floyd, JMJarre. Along with Hawkwind and Fairport Convention....

Currently listening to Miles Davis (In a Silent Way)  while I flaff around with old images in Alamy Image Manager.....

If anyone interested, The Police guitarist Andy Summers does a lot of photography https://andysummers.com/photography

...and did a very underrated album with Robert Fripp! 

Sorry, not music related, just wanted to add to my personal 2018 good news.

Had 2 three figure sales reported in the last two days. One was over $300 which is my biggest sale for years. With those and a few others I've now almost doubled last year's revenue.

Definitely lots to be positive about.

Andy

On 8/12/2018 at 10:14, FCUM said:

Sorry, not music related, just wanted to add to my personal 2018 good news.

Had 2 three figure sales reported in the last two days. One was over $300 which is my biggest sale for years. With those and a few others I've now almost doubled last year's revenue.

Definitely lots to be positive about.

Andy

Good for you Andy, gives us all some hope at least.

Sadly I am still in the depths of despair.

On 8/10/2018 at 18:13, AlbertSnapper said:

So I'm not the only one here who predates rock 'n roll. The cafe I had lunch at yesterday was playing '50s pop. Hey, guys! I suffered through that junk once. Not again, please!

I knew Miles all through the '50s. He lived in the same building that my sister did, 881 Tenth Avenue. I played something for him once (trumpet), and he gave me his highest praise, a slight nod of his head. I knew him before and after he lost his voice. I never found out who he was yelling at when that happened. Yes, I was very young back then. 

My sales have gone down for the past two months, but they're still more than normal expectations for a collection of my size. Zooms have started to pick up. Over all, my sales have doubled in each of the last 4 years, and amounts are good for today's normal prices. 

NYC has been a good stock subject, but you have to dig down further than tourist landmarks. 

I don't usually snap people in trouble, but speaking of musicians, this guy in San Miguel de Allende displayed the guts of a trooper. And on his pro level, he was making good music, bless him. 

crippled-busker-playing-guitar-and-harmo

Edo

On 8/15/2018 at 14:29, Ed Rooney said:

I knew Miles all through the '50s. He lived in the same building that my sister did, 881 Tenth Avenue. I played something for him once (trumpet), and he gave me his highest praise, a slight nod of his head. I knew him before and after he lost his voice. I never found out who he was yelling at when that happened. Yes, I was very young back then. 

Edo

Wow !   that must have been great to have known (and accompanied) one of the greats musicians of our time. Always aware of him but only now discovering his music. Any recommendations as regards an album to listen to ?

7 hours ago, AlbertSnapper said:

Wow !   that must have been great to have known (and accompanied) one of the greats musicians of our time. Always aware of him but only now discovering his music. Any recommendations as regards an album to listen to ?

Try the jazz section of AccuRadio (free). There's so much and so many styles. Kind of Blue remains the best selling jazz album of all time. That was his brief modal period, 1960, with the first great quintette plus Canonball. 

https://www.accuradio.com

• 3 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, Marb said:

Well here I am in Sept, continually adding images, ctr are the highest this year so far and yet not a single sale. It's just awful. Dead.:(

How many new images have you added in the last three months, say? Your portfolio number looks pretty much the same as it did some time ago. It seems to me that those with regular sales either have a very large portfolio already, or are adding to it at a much much faster rate.

16 minutes ago, funkyworm said:

Sally, you just beat me to it.

Marb, have you compared your production to those you are competing with? The P's started in early June. Jeff G mentioned in a thread recently that he came back from his trip to the UK with 1000+ images taken in I think it was 19 days. He may be one extreme but that is the competition.

Yes but a lot if bulk images uploaded are mainly similars (looking at a lot of portfolios) I know I am not hitting the average downloads per month (I think around 3 as stated in a past thread) and to be fair, I do pretty eclectic images. Huge uploads from other contributors are irrelevant if they are not similar subjects. And my point also was having the highest CTR/Zooms or whatever (showing on my graph) should be reflecting in at least a sale.

5 minutes ago, Marb said:

Yes but a lot if bulk images uploaded are mainly similars (looking at a lot of portfolios) I know I am not hitting the average downloads per month (I think around 3 as stated in a past thread) and to be fair, I do pretty eclectic images. Huge uploads from other contributors are irrelevant if they are not similar subjects. And my point also was having the highest CTR/Zooms or whatever (showing on my graph) should be reflecting in at least a sale.

Marb, i'm quite in your same situation.

I found out CTR is only one factor for a good ranking, others are images-age , years you contribute actively, ....

As you i don't have a special tip, i tried to change images to RF and see comparisons with other places

1 hour ago, Marb said:

I don’t think you can dismiss the portfolio size as an important factor on the grounds of large numbers of similars. Don’t know what you mean by downloads. 

CTR, as I understand it, will only help to increase your chances of appearing higher in searches and of course is dependent on whether you’ve captioned and keyworded well enough for it to have any effect. You can have sales without a high CTR, if someone is looking for the type of images you have in your portfolio and they are well captioned and keyworded. 

You did have a sale recently, and it was a good one as I remember. I haven’t had any this month yet. I think the evidence, as suggested by someone else in the past, is that you probably arent doing too badly for your portfolio. Your expectations may exceed this however, and inevitably you’ll be disappointed. 

45 minutes ago, Sally said:

I don’t think you can dismiss the portfolio size as an important factor on the grounds of large numbers of similars. Don’t know what you mean by downloads. 

CTR, as I understand it, will only increase your chances of appearing higher in searches and of course is dependent on whether you’ve captioned and keyworded well enough for it to have any effect. You can have sales without a high CTR, if someone is looking for the type of images you have in your portfolio and they are well captioned and keyworded. 

You did have a sale recently, and it was a good one as I remember. I haven’t had any this month yet. I think the evidence, as suggested by someone else in the past, is that you probably arent doing too badly for your portfolio. Your expectations may exceed this however, and inevitably you’ll be disappointed. 

I would have to say that many images I have found by experimenting in the search that came up on the  first few images, on the first page have had as many keywords you can count on one hand so not sure that it's that important.

12 minutes ago, Marb said:

I would have to say that many images I have found by experimenting in the search that came up on the  first few images, on the first page have had as many keywords you can count on one hand so not sure that it's that important.

A lot of my sales now are news, if there's a story there, great, but if not, I search out stories.  Try it, I guarantee you'll come back with something.

42 minutes ago, Marb said:

I think we can safely assume that all these factors are important, rather than dismissing them. Doing everything as well as you can, can only increase your chances of sales. We have a good saying up North, carved inside this doorway (Chambers Publishers of the dictionary fame) if you can see it:

HE THAT THOLES OVERCOMES

old-doorway-with-1882-date-and-carved-in

Further to the above about finding new and profitable ideas, I've recently published a blog post on using Google Trends and Wikipedia Analytics to analyse what may be trending or perhaps "un-trending". Using the available data I analysed the following terms to :

• Alt-Right
  • Antifa
  • Brazil corruption (Lava Jato)
  • Brexit
  • Hipster
  • Iran war
  • Metoo
  • Opioid Addiction 
  • Overtourism / Over-tourism / Mass-tourism
  • Plastic in the Ocean
  • Refugee Crisis
  • Trade Tariffs
  • Transgender

Hope you'll find it useful and can draw some profitable concepts. I'm curious to know, other than AoA, if contributors use such analytics to come up with potentially profitable concepts. 

On 12/09/2018 at 11:15, funkyworm said:

And often those with similars have found the goose that lays the golden egg, for example a certain pier in Wales, in which case why wouldn;t you repeat the success formula. On top of that Keith has huge amount of variety often aimed at key issues which will be reported on in the UK.

Yes..it's a matter of getting, in my case, a balance of LiveNews (mostly weather based) photos, plus more traditional stock/library imagery aimed at UK editorial markets. In both instances the key thing is to keep costs of production down to an absolute minimum. If i can't walk or cycle to make it, then i don't bother (unless i'm piggy-backing the photos on another paid-for assignment)

If you look at my collection here, I can pretty much guarantee that on every page there will be at least one image that as been licenced as stock and/or LiveNews

km

Archived