So how is your 2018 going, eh?

6 minutes ago, Cryptoprocta said:

If you are doing better with your other media, the answer surely must be to focus on that, and only upload and manage images when you have some spare time. Focus on your strengths.

It's all so unpredictable of late it's hard to know what to spend time on really. Like shooting moving ducks at the fare. Technology is moving so fast, more image theft sites popping up left, right and centre, people are taking high quality images on phones with little effort. It's quite scary really.

14 minutes ago, Marb said:

Thanks, I appreciate the encouragement. I don't mind accepting a fall off (and yes, micro too at the moment) but when I put the work in, make more editorial (exclusive here) I do expect at least to stay afloat, not sink.

Bear in mind how incredibly difficult it is for us to increase our ports (keeping up the quality) at the same rate as the collection is going, so our ports become a smaller and smaller proportion of the whole. Then take into account similar huge rises in all the stock agencies. For sure, it's a buyer's market.

Ian, I think we've mentioned your tendency to crop very closely. Maybe it wouldn't bother every buyer but including some copy space can't hurt. The buyer can always crop. I would have included more sky in at least a couple of your shots of the flag. Hope you don't mind a suggestion.

Paulette

3 minutes ago, NYCat said:

Ian, I think we've mentioned your tendency to crop very closely. Maybe it wouldn't bother every buyer but including some copy space can't hurt. The buyer can always crop. I would have included more sky in at least a couple of your shots of the flag. Hope you don't mind a suggestion.

Paulette

Hi Paulette, absolutely no problem with that and agree 100%. I am more mindful of doing that these days (the flags were an exception) 

PS, I am envious of you getting that close to tigers. Beautiful. 

3 hours ago, Marb said:

Re- my post above, I will add my stats as evidence that uploading more and more work (in my case at least) is not paying off here. For some strange reason I cannot upload a screenshot of my zooms graph but here are the stats.

April : 1.31 (a promising good month)

May : 0.92

June :0.61

July : 0.35

Still no sales.

33 minutes ago, Marb said:

The zooms for each month are 

Apr 15

May 11

June 0

July 2

If that helps ?

Hi Marb

I have no explanation why you have made no sales recently but looking at your figures above something doesn't quite make sense. Your CTR for June is 0.61 yet your zooms are 0, can't quite make that out.

Apart from that only your CTR for July is below average and the month is not finished yet.

I'm afraid we all go through these periods of drought for no apparent reason.

1 minute ago, BobD said:

Hi Marb

I have no explanation why you have made no sales recently but looking at your figures above something doesn't quite make sense. Your CTR for June is 0.61 yet your zooms are 0, can't quite make that out.

Apart from that only your CTR for July is below average and the month is not finished yet.

I'm afraid we all go through these periods of drought for no apparent reason.

Sorry, just re-checked and something must have been a miss as zooms for June are now showing 7.

1 hour ago, Marb said:

Hi Paulette, absolutely no problem with that and agree 100%. I am more mindful of doing that these days (the flags were an exception) 

PS, I am envious of you getting that close to tigers. Beautiful. 

Thank you. I think I am very lucky to be able to take my wildlife trips. I will never make all that money back but the experiences are priceless. One thing I have been doing to try to increase sales is to keep a lightbox of my images that have sold. Every now and then I look at it and try to understand why they sold. As you can see, I take very few images with people and yet about 25% of my sales are images with people. So, as it is said here many times, it does help to have people. I also see that a lot of the sales "tell a story" that can be used in an article. And issues in the news, of course, even if they are not strictly news images.

Paulette

2 hours ago, Marb said:

The zooms for each month are 

Apr 15

May 11

June 0

July 2

If that helps ?

Thanks Marb - along with the 7 for June that makes 35 zooms since the beginning of April - The one thing that does seem to be consistent is that most people have found that the number of zooms per sale is something between 3 and 5. The ones that sell may not be the ones that were zoomed, though some will be I am sure.

On those figures I would have thought that since 1st April you would have sold 11-12 if lucky or 7 if unlucky.

How many sales have you actually had since 1st April?

Kumar

1 hour ago, Doc said:

Thanks Marb - along with the 7 for June that makes 35 zooms since the beginning of April - The one thing that does seem to be consistent is that most people have found that the number of zooms per sale is something between 3 and 5. The ones that sell may not be the ones that were zoomed, though some will be I am sure.

On those figures I would have thought that since 1st April you would have sold 11-12 if lucky or 7 if unlucky.

How many sales have you actually had since 1st April?

Kumar

I have had 5 sales since April (not including one sales refunded)

29 minutes ago, Marb said:

According to the old rule of thumb of one sale per 1000 images per month, you aren't really doing badly for a new-ish contributor.

7 minutes ago, Brasilnut said:

Close to breaking the $1k mark with 48 sales so far this year. This game is easy!

not. 

Ditto :) 41 sales for just under $1,500 during 2018.  Live News helps, though.

59 minutes ago, Marb said:

TBH then you are probably doing just marginally worse than average, and from the number of zooms you have had you probably have a couple more sales at least coming in soon.

Advise you just keep going, and try increasing the number of your images which have people in them - it helps!

Cheers

Kumar

2 hours ago, Doc said:

TBH then you are probably doing just marginally worse than average, and from the number of zooms you have had you probably have a couple more sales at least coming in soon.

Advise you just keep going, and try increasing the number of your images which have people in them - it helps!

Cheers

Kumar

Thanks Kumar. Much appreciated.

48 minutes ago, Marb said:

There is nothing like modesty!

He's being modest.

He has 8536 images online.

On the 1 image per 1000 per month benchmark (if that means anything), he's 'underachieving' (1 x 8.5 x 6.5 = 55.25)

However, note the size of his port in 2 years less than you've been here (and 6 years less than I have), and look at the quality. We both need a kick up the proverbial.

IME, files take quite some time to be found, so I'm sure Alexandre will do well for years to come. He seems to live in a blue-sky, sun-shiney world. :)

10 hours ago, Brasilnut said:

^^ nobody seems to have noticed my "not" at the end? :) 

To be fair you had made it very very small. Anyway, sorry for misunderstanding you all the same.

Well,  I've already exceeded my gross revenue for the whole of last year and my sales numbers are  still pretty healthy,  (54 so far this year), although, they have slowed a bit in the middle of this month 

Archived