So how is your 2018 going, eh?

8 hours ago, Brasilnut said:

I agree.

2,000 images,  unless they are of a very very specific niche, just won't cut it anymore. Even though quality is of course super important, I think quantity is even more important...as well as variety. If Marb had 20,000 images and was whining of no sales I'd take him seriously but 2,000 come on...work harder and smarter!!  

I see you also complaining daily at the Shutterstock forum's pathetic "doom and gloom" thread. So I think the issue is more to do with your own approach to this business than factors related global diminishing returns.

-----

Loads of money to be made boys and girls but as always "the cream rises to the top"

Thats funny because you do your fair share of whining on that very “pathetic” thread yourself so you cant be doing that well by your boasting. 

If you want to get sales traction on a smal portfolio, then Livenews is certainly an avenue to explore. Weather news is always a good seller, and anyone and everyone can do it....as many here can attest to. We're in the middle of a series of storms this week and the papers are voracious in their use of imagery

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DnnG9urWwAAkriy.jpg

km

1 hour ago, RedSnapper said:

If you want to get sales traction on a smal portfolio, then Livenews is certainly an avenue to explore. Weather news is always a good seller, and anyone and everyone can do it....as many here can attest to. We're in the middle of a series of storms this week and the papers are voracious in their use of imagery

km

Good advice. I’ve certainly made a lot of sales from Beast from the East and the heatwave or ‘El Scorchio’. But I am missing the storms as I’m in Andalucia at the moment. I can’t decide if this is good or bad........

1 hour ago, RedSnapper said:

km

Agree with this - two of my weather pics from yesterday were used today in the Irish Sun.  If I can do it, anyone can.

https://www.thesun.ie/news/3149922/ireland-weather-update-rain-wind-storm-callum/

2 hours ago, RedSnapper said:

km

What you think about other countries?

On 9/20/2018 at 22:36, Brasilnut said:

These guys in the 100k club seem to be doing alright and not by luck...but by sheer hard work & dedication. 

The 100K club is a small minority of contributors. Some are significant out-performers. Most started contributing when the market was strong and continued contributing for 10 years or more. Several regulars on this forum are members and we see their numbers reported on a monthly basis.  They still do relatively well from their back catalogs (which in many cases is now in the tens of thousands of images), but I wonder how long it takes them these days to break even from their new submissions. Keeping costs to a minimum is key. 

Loads of money depends on contributors' individual circumstances.

So saying that doesn't mean very much, given everyones circumstances are different. 

I'd be happy with at least $3k/month net income from all agencies + private client work & other photography-related gigs. 

I don't think you should be including "other photography related gigs", as I believe you were boasting about stock photography income. 

On 19/09/2018 at 10:09, Marb said:

But I get sales every day on microstock, sometimes much more in revenue than here so that theory doesn't really hold water.

But you also complain bitterly on micro stock about poor sales? 

10 hours ago on a favourite thread of yours. Sensing a pattern.

"Absolutely atrocious. Abysmal. Apalling. 

4 hours ago, RedSnapper said:

Shoot local. Zero out of pocket costs.

km

I wish I had your ability to constantly find new subjects to shoot locally that sell. Not sure about others, but the sums don't add up for me with travel photography. 

27 minutes ago, andremichel said:

I wish I had your ability to constantly find new subjects to shoot locally that sell. Not sure about others, but the sums don't add up for me with travel photography. 

Shooting locally doesn't work for me, but I try to take photos wherever I have to be. Not the best strategy, apparently, but it keeps costs down!

6 minutes ago, Colblimp said:

I wish I'd lived in Cork city when I started with Alamy - so much more going on there.

It's only about 50 miles to Cork from where you live why not pay a visit or two?

Allan

1 minute ago, Allan Bell said:

It's only about 50 miles to Cork from where you live why not pay a visit or two?

Allan

It's 100 km and takes an hour and a half on empty roads.  I try to get up there at least once a week - I'm doing some commercial work tomorrow in North Cork so will spend a couple of hours in Cork city afterwards.

On 01/07/2018 at 12:58, Malcolm Park said:

2018 not quite as encouraging for Alamy sales growth mid point as previous years. My gross sales revenue stats:

1 Jan -30 June 2018 13% up on 2017

1 Jan -30 June 2017 49% up on 2016

1 Jan -30 June 2016 44% up on 2015

Definite slowdown for me in the pace of sales revenue growth, in spite of adding around 1000 shots monthly for the past year. At least the trend is currently still upwards.

Updated since June, figures to end September, including quantity increase of images sold in each period:

1 Jan -30 Sept 2018: 33% up on 2017, qty increase 33%

1 Jan -30 Sept 2017:45% up on 2016, qty increase 35%

1 Jan -30 Sept 2016: 22% up on 2015, qty increase 46%

Trend for current year is now looking better than at end June.

Archived