6 minutes ago, Colblimp said:

I wish I'd lived in Cork city when I started with Alamy - so much more going on there.

It's only about 50 miles to Cork from where you live why not pay a visit or two?

Allan

1 minute ago, Allan Bell said:

It's only about 50 miles to Cork from where you live why not pay a visit or two?

Allan

It's 100 km and takes an hour and a half on empty roads.  I try to get up there at least once a week - I'm doing some commercial work tomorrow in North Cork so will spend a couple of hours in Cork city afterwards.

On 28/09/2018 at 15:25, andremichel said:

I wish I had your ability to constantly find new subjects to shoot locally that sell.

Try weather...

happens everywhere

km

• Upvote 1

On 28/09/2018 at 15:25, andremichel said:

I wish I had your ability to constantly find new subjects to shoot locally that sell.

Try weather...

happens everywhere

km

• Upvote 1

Had my first live new image used last week and yes it was weather, storm Ali

• Like 1

On 01/07/2018 at 12:58, Malcolm Park said:

2018 not quite as encouraging for Alamy sales growth mid point as previous years. My gross sales revenue stats:

1 Jan -30 June 2018 13% up on 2017

1 Jan -30 June 2017 49% up on 2016

1 Jan -30 June 2016 44% up on 2015

Definite slowdown for me in the pace of sales revenue growth, in spite of adding around 1000 shots monthly for the past year. At least the trend is currently still upwards.

Updated since June, figures to end September, including quantity increase of images sold in each period:

1 Jan -30 Sept 2018: 33% up on 2017, qty increase 33%

1 Jan -30 Sept 2017:45% up on 2016, qty increase 35%

1 Jan -30 Sept 2016: 22% up on 2015, qty increase 46%

Trend for current year is now looking better than at end June.

best year ever for volume of sales and we still have 3 months to go. Revenue about 30% behind my best ever year but it could be close

33 minutes ago, David eastley said:

best year ever for volume of sales and we still have 3 months to go. Revenue about 30% behind my best ever year but it could be close

I am also having my best ever year (in 12 years with Alamy). Volume of sales is up more than 60% on my best ever year (which was last year, as it happens). My revenue is up about 7% on my all-time revenue high, which was in 2009.

A big factor in this was my increasing use of the Alamy live news feed. Mostly, as the great @RedSnapper suggests these were weather images, but not all. Some shots of Airport queues - I was a victim too - sold well.

Edited by Steve Valentia
  • Upvote 1

Sales wise I am where I would expect to be but since August my zooms have vanished.  Current CTR for the last 7 weeks is 0.04, when historically my average is around 0.6. 

Until a month ago sales were steady running at 5% above 2017.

Since then they have fallen off a cliff. Dreadful September and no sales so far in October. 

Zooms confuse the picture by improving to 71 for the rolling month. 

Looks like I'm about to find out how closely sales correlate with zooms as well:(

Seriously, where have they gone?

Edited by spacecadet

Total Sales 10

Gross: $275

I am pretty happy with Alamy so far as it is my first year to start as a Stock Photographer and also first time to own a camera. 

My number of images are limited and less than 1000. I belive I am doing good except last two months in which I had only one sale. 

• Upvote 1

Did a news feed Friday on the giant puppets in Liverpool. First shots up here and not a single sales. So much for news feed big events selling. 

Edited by Marb
  • Downvote 2

5 minutes ago, Marb said:

Did a news feed Friday on the giant puppets in Liverpool. First shots up here and not a single sales. So much for news feed big events selling. 

One news feed will not feed you. I think if you bought a lottery ticket you would expect to win every time. I have dabbled in news with some moderate success. A full time job limits me to focus on news.

For greater success you need to do it day in and day out when opportunities arise and keep doing it. Colblimp is a good example on here, starting to consistantly sell his news shots.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Marb said:

That's very short-sighted, defeatist attitude. I was a press photographer in Liverpool for 20 years, and I know that such an event would be covered by dozens of local and national photographers. Take the following into account when covering a "big event".

• Many press outlets will have their own photographers and not need Alamy news images.
  • Many other photographers will be contributing to the news feed.
  • Your images may not be as good as others.
  • Your images may not go online as quickly as others.
  • etc, etc.
  • Upvote 8

45 minutes ago, Marb said:

Some many  days you bust a gut and get nothing...

Other days you do very little and it goes global..

get back on the horse

km

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, Marb said:

You may not know for sure until the end of next month or so when sales get reported. I’ve have not always spotted images used which are reported later.

Noone here who does live news sells something out of every shoot. But you are more likely to get sales if you do it consistently. Expecting uses out of each shoot is over ambitious.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Marb said:

As others have said, one event won't do it - you have to keep on shooting.  I shot a murder scene on Monday, I've made a bunch of local sales and a bunch more via Alamy.  You mustn't give up, rather dig your heels in, refuse to give up and try even harder!

9 hours ago, Craig Yates said:

One news feed will not feed you. I think if you bought a lottery ticket you would expect to win every time. I have dabbled in news with some moderate success. A full time job limits me to focus on news.

For greater success you need to do it day in and day out when opportunities arise and keep doing it. Colblimp is a good example on here, starting to consistantly sell his news shots.

Thanks Craig - you're right that all my hard work is starting to pay off - 4 images used in today's Irish Sun, including some older weather shots.  I've had pics used every day this week - I'm over the moon!  With a storm hitting my locality tomorrow, I'm 100% sure I'll make sales.  It's just a case of keep on shooting!

5 minutes ago, Colblimp said:

I shot a murder scene on Monday, I've made a bunch of local sales and a bunch more via Alamy. 

You'll make a killing on it! Sorry; I'll get me coat.

• Upvote 1

I'm on track to get the same number of sales but revenue is only about 80% of where is should be to match last year. I had some good 3 figure sales last year which boosted revenue.

10 minutes ago, Steve Valentia said:

You'll make a killing on it! Sorry; I'll get me coat.

Very good - groan...  :lol:

21 minutes ago, funkyworm said:

A little extra (local) knowledge can make a huge difference... and not just for news.

That's exactly it - local knowledge!  For example, I know where to go tomorrow and Friday to get saleable images, just 20 minutes down the road.  Because I want to be out early Friday morning, I've arranged to stay at a mates house tomorrow night.  I contend anyone can take images which will sell, you just have to persevere. 

14 hours ago, Colblimp said:

As others have said, one event won't do it - you have to keep on shooting.  I shot a murder scene on Monday, I've made a bunch of local sales and a bunch more via Alamy.  You mustn't give up, rather dig your heels in, refuse to give up and try even harder!

Thanks Craig - you're right that all my hard work is starting to pay off - 4 images used in today's Irish Sun, including some older weather shots.  I've had pics used every day this week - I'm over the moon!  With a storm hitting my locality tomorrow, I'm 100% sure I'll make sales.  It's just a case of keep on shooting!

That's great news  if you are having that experience ( and I genuinely mean that as you have always been polite, friendly and helpful here) as I would have thought with weather shots you are literally competing with thousands of people, especially now nearly everyone has a decent camera in a phone. Also, the local papers send out their press photographers which also ramps up the competition.

12 hours ago, funkyworm said:

Yes... big events mean more competition which means more competition. Its a consideration one needs to factor in when covering large events. A lot of the time you could be on the back foot before you have even started the race. 

Try and play to what strengths you may have, which could be weaknesses in the competitors. A little extra (local) knowledge can make a huge difference... and not just for news.

That said... it aint easy... I am not the only one who has stopped covering certain big events.

Thanks. I live in a village in Cheshire so not that much really to cover unless I head for Liverpool/manchester.