So how is your 2018 going, eh?

22 hours ago, Marb said:

All my news/live news images here have gone into the big black chasm forever. The sales drought continues. Truly awful returns here for the work uploaded. Kind of makes one want to give up really. 

Nah, giving up is for the weak.

I'm joining the $100k club one day and buying myself a Ferrari engraved "Alamy" on the side.

26 minutes ago, Brasilnut said:

I'm joining the $100k club one day and buying myself a Ferrari engraved "Alamy" on the side.

That's optimistic. Given the challenging environment, most contributors are forced to settle for Porsche. 

23 hours ago, Marb said:

All my news/live news images here have gone into the big black chasm forever. The sales drought continues. Truly awful returns here for the work uploaded. Kind of makes one want to give up really. 

But that's the joy of stock. :P You can give up and leave your files online and if you feel like it again,  you can restart; if not, don't.

2 hours ago, Brasilnut said:

Maybe I should upload that image of a fake Ferrari I shot in Helsinki. ;-)

Here it is on Reddit (not my picture).

OMG there are some beautiful Ferrari kitcars and lookalikes out there. The Pagano! The 335 Spyder!  And the lookalikes that bolt on a Mazda (it may well be Japanese) Mx5 Miata.

And if you don't like red, but prefer the classic understated British Racing Green: there's the Exomotive. Oh blast! Too late for that - production halted in February.

Me, while being a member of that club, I drive this. Production halted in 2005. ;-)

But made in Holland!

wim

Absolutely diabolical here. As bad as micro stock is for a decline in sales, I would be in trouble if I just relied on Alamy for photographic income. Looks set for a blank September (a supposed busy period) Just goes to show that hard work (including editing) sometimes doesn't pay off.

27 minutes ago, Marb said:

Absolutely diabolical here. As bad as micro stock is for a decline in sales, I would be in trouble if I just relied on Alamy for photographic income. Looks set for a blank September (a supposed busy period) Just goes to show that hard work (including editing) sometimes doesn't pay off.

Marb, you're showing as having 1999 images on sale. I've been working very hard to add numbers to my port and have added around that number in the past four or five months. Luckily for me they are mostly images from old drives which just need editing and keywording, but it's still hard work and seen much burning of the midnight oil. Even so, I'm not expecting to see any reward in the short term. That's how it works and I accept that, as you need to.

1 minute ago, Avpics said:

Marb, you're showing as having 1999 images on sale. I've been working very hard to add numbers to my port and have added around that number in the past four or five months. Luckily for me they are mostly images from old drives which just need editing and keywording, but it's still hard work and seen much burning of the midnight oil. Even so, I'm not expecting to see any reward in the short term. That's how it works and I accept that, as you need to.

But I get sales every day on microstock, sometimes much more in revenue than here so that theory doesn't really hold water.

3 minutes ago, Marb said:

But I get sales every day on microstock, sometimes much more in revenue than here so that theory doesn't really hold water.

Well, yes it does as I'm referring to Alamy, which is a different market model to microstock (even if I complain at some of the prices being similar!)

2 hours ago, Marb said:

The buyers are different.

You need to decide whether you want to focus on micro, then.

I also do a lot better on micro, but for the moment, I'm choosing to upload to Alamy alone, and have uploaded almost 900 pics here this calendar year. But clearly these are either not what Alamy customers want or others do them better, or in certain cases I'm so far down the search that they'll never be seen.

19 hours ago, RedSnapper said:

If you have content better suited to another type of market, then concentrate your time , effort and emotional energy there.

Forget about Alamy

End of story

km

So Alamy sales are once in a blue moon, prices have dropped to the same or less money than a microstock sale. Am I missing something or is this site just not worth the time and effort anymore ?

Still no sales.

16 minutes ago, Marb said:

So Alamy sales are once in a blue moon, prices have dropped to the same or less money than a microstock sale. Am I missing something or is this site just not worth the time and effort anymore ?

Still no sales.

Like me, you are either uploading files which Alamy buyers don't want, or others are uploading files more nearly matching their needs.

If you read the end of month sales, apart from a few stars, you'll see that files sold relative to port size is very small - they're still talking about 1 per thousand per month average. And the file prices are going down - though some are still reporting high value sales.

As you are supplying RF, it can't be harmful to also upload files here. You're complaining elsewhere about sales on at least one micro site, so maybe time to move on?

On 9/19/2018 at 11:07, Avpics said:

I agree.

2,000 images,  unless they are of a very very specific niche, just won't cut it anymore. Even though quality is of course super important, I think quantity is even more important...as well as variety. If Marb had 20,000 images and was whining of no sales I'd take him seriously but 2,000 come on...work harder and smarter!!  

I see you also complaining daily at the Shutterstock forum's pathetic "doom and gloom" thread. So I think the issue is more to do with your own approach to this business than factors related global diminishing returns.

-----

Loads of money to be made boys and girls but as always "the cream rises to the top"

2 hours ago, Brasilnut said:

2,000 images,  unless they are of a very very specific niche, just won't cut it anymore. Even though quality is of course super important, I think quantity is even more important...as well as variety. If Marb had 20,000 images and was whining of no sales I'd take him seriously but 2,000 come on...work harder and smarter!!  

That's utter rubbish.  I've just over 2,000 images and I'm averaging 5 sales a month and have been for some time.  July was a blank month but August made up for it with 12 sales.  Don't spread false information.

1 hour ago, Colblimp said:

That's utter rubbish.  I've just over 2,000 images and I'm averaging 5 sales a month and have been for some time.  July was a blank month but August made up for it with 12 sales.  Don't spread false information.

53 minutes ago, LawrensonPhoto said:

Live news though?

That's true - you certainly do make a lot of Live News sales, (and good on you - that's where the steady, decent money seems to be these days), however....

...despite my recent 70-day dry spell (which admittedly had me worried - and moaning - for a while), and only having 2723 images online and submitting very sparsely, I am still averaging 4 sales/month here this year.  I think that there are quite a number of factors which come into play.  In my case, I believe that a wide variety of editorial shots and constant drip-feeding the system helps.

1 hour ago, Colblimp said:

Thanks. I knew I wasn't wrong. He is talking nonsense. It's clear others here are feeling the same poor sales. 

58 minutes ago, LawrensonPhoto said:

Of the 12 in August how many were live news?

I had 17, 15 live news, 2 stock.

Which is slightly below average? for my number of images (stock I mean)

More live news than stock by a considerable margin lol...

7 hours ago, Brasilnut said:

Loads of money to be made boys and girls but as always "the cream rises to the top"

Maybe "the cream" of stock photography is making all the money while most of us are languishing. It also depends on what you think "loads of money" is.

These days its challenging enough just trying to break even. 

18 minutes ago, andremichel said:

Maybe "the cream" of stock photography is making all the money while most of us are languishing. It also depends on what you think "loads of money" is.

These days its challenging enough just trying to break even. 

These guys in the 100k club seem to be doing alright and not by luck...but by sheer hard work & dedication. 

Loads of money depends on contributors' individual circumstances.

I'd be happy with at least $3k/month net income from all agencies + private client work & other photography-related gigs. 

Archived