4 minutes ago, Marb said:

That's great news  if you are having that experience ( and I genuinely mean that as you have always been polite, friendly and helpful here) as I would have thought with weather shots you are literally competing with thousands of people, especially now nearly everyone has a decent camera in a phone. Also, the local papers send out their press photographers which also ramps up the competition.

There's not thousands of pro photographers where I'm going tonight - there may be one, two at the most, but I don't care about that.  I'll get my shots then send them in, go back, shoot some more, etc.  I'd contend most local papers don't have staff photographers, my local rag gets all its pics from freelancers.  Just get out there and shoot!!!

2 minutes ago, Marb said:

Thanks. I live in a village in Cheshire so not that much really to cover unless I head for Liverpool/manchester.

I live 4 miles from civilisation - if 10 cars go past the end of my drive in a day, it's been very busy.  The location of your house isn't the reason for lack of sales/lack of things to shoot.

20 minutes ago, Marb said:

That's great news  if you are having that experience ( and I genuinely mean that as you have always been polite, friendly and helpful here) as I would have thought with weather shots you are literally competing with thousands of people, especially now nearly everyone has a decent camera in a phone. Also, the local papers send out their press photographers which also ramps up the competition.

Your local press sends out their togs? Well, they'd almost certainly use their pics rather than look around. My local press only use free pics sent in by punters.

I think if you make a sensible assessment and a sensible trial and find Live News isn't working, just move on. I know that moving to and living in/near e.g. Glasgow would cost me far more than a few live sales (in competition with the national press's togs) would make, so I can rest easier with that (when I remember!).

Edited by Cryptoprocta

19 minutes ago, Marb said:

Thanks. I live in a village in Cheshire so not that much really to cover unless I head for Liverpool/manchester.

That's a beautiful part of the world

I covered a festival in my local town with some famous guests. Got some decent shots and not one single sale so for me it hasn't worked and I don't want to go chasing stuff that will not sell as time is precious. Of course if I happen to be in the location at that time I will shoot it.

Edited by Marb

29 minutes ago, Marb said:

I live on an Island on the far west of Ireland (the clue is in my name). I see only tractors and cows passing near my house, and the occasional tourist in the summer. In March this year, I made 11 news sales in one day and by the end of the week the total had risen to 24 sales. I totally agree that you have to go out and get the shots. One of Alamy's biggest earners, @RedSnapper doesn't drive and takes most of his images within a 10 mile radius of his house, I believe.

@Colblimp

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Marb said:

I would have thought with weather shots you are literally competing with thousands of people,

In theory, yes..
In practice, probably a few dozen at most.....check out the by-lines in the onlines / print ....same names will appear frequently ...because we're out there doing it all the time

32 minutes ago, Steve Valentia said:

One of Alamy's biggest earners, @RedSnapper doesn't drive and takes most of his images within a 10 mile radius of his house, I believe.

@Colblimp

But lives in a well known holiday town on the coast, with a university and a theatre. Still, he has to get out there and actually make the photos.

Edited by Cryptoprocta

2 minutes ago, Steve Valentia said:

One of Alamy's biggest earners, @RedSnapper doesn't drive and takes most of his images within a 10 mile radius of his house, I believe.

@Colblimp

99.5% within walking/cycling distance of my house...10 miles would be a major expedition for me

km

8 minutes ago, Steve Valentia said:

I live on an Island on the far west of Ireland (the clue is in my name). I see only tractors and cows passing near my house, and the occasional tourist in the summer. In March this year, I made 11 news sales in one day and by the end of the week the total had risen to 24 sales. I totally agree that you have to go out and get the shots. One of Alamy's biggest earners, @RedSnapper doesn't drive and takes most of his images within a 10 mile radius of his house, I believe.

@Colblimp

Meanwhile, I've visited 7 countries so far this year already and still trying to recover some of my costs lol

Shooting locally is the way to go!

15 minutes ago, Steve Valentia said:

@Colblimp

We're going to have to meet up at some stage, maybe an Alamy meet-up should be arranged?

5 minutes ago, Colblimp said:

We're going to have to meet up at some stage, maybe an Alamy meet-up should be arranged?

I'm coming to Cork on Wednesday next week, before flying to Malaga very early on Thursday morning. I'll be heading back on the afternoon of Thursday week 25th Oct. Maybe we can have our own Alamy meet-up?

Edited by Steve Valentia

12 minutes ago, Steve Valentia said:

I'm coming to Cork on Wednesday next week, before flying to Malaga very early on Thursday morning. I'll be heading back on the afternoon of Thursday week 25th Oct. Maybe we can have our own Alamy meet-up?

That would be awesome!  We should go for Wednesday maybe?  I was in Malaga for a holiday earlier this year, with the intention of shooting a ton of stock pics.  Look what I captured as soon as I got off the aircraft!

malaga-spain-8th-june-2018-irish-musician-songwriter-and-record-producer-phil-coulter-is-pictured-at-malaga-airport-after-disembarking-a-flight-from-cork-ireland-credit-andy-gibsonalamy-live-news-P06YN3.jpg

20 minutes ago, Steve Valentia said:

Self-portraits Keith, you and your bike in a red (snapper) coat? ;)

one is....4 are somebody else who was passing by.....dressed alarmingly similar to me

km

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Colblimp said:

That would be awesome!  We should go for Wednesday maybe?  I was in Malaga for a holiday earlier this year, with the intention of shooting a ton of stock pics.  Look what I captured as soon as I got off the aircraft!

malaga-spain-8th-june-2018-irish-musician-songwriter-and-record-producer-phil-coulter-is-pictured-at-malaga-airport-after-disembarking-a-flight-from-cork-ireland-credit-andy-gibsonalamy-live-news-P06YN3.jpg

Who is he ?

1 minute ago, Marb said:

Who is he ?

My mouse tells me Phil Coulter

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Marb said:

Who is he ?

Look below

Just now, Avpics said:

My mouse tells me Phil Coulter

Correct!  He was sitting across the aisle to me on the flight and I didn't even notice him!  If it wasn't for 2 women telling me I never would have known.

@Colblimp Nice one - did you ask him? Just curious. PM me and we can arrange to meet up. Remind me to bring you a copy of Cameracraft, the magazine I'm associate editor of, it'll give you something to read when you're not papping musicians. :)

Edited by Steve Valentia

I wouldn't know him from Adam.

10 minutes ago, Marb said:

I wouldn't know him from Adam.

You can tell it's Adam, by looking for a small red apple. Phil Coulter carries a grand piano; he's much easier to recognise.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Colblimp said:

We're going to have to meet up at some stage......

Graylands flats, Rosebery Road, Grays, Essex, scene of the fatal stabbing of teenager Breck Bednar by Lewis Daynes in 2014 after being groomed online - Stock Image

#justsaying

38 minutes ago, Avpics said:

Graylands flats, Rosebery Road, Grays, Essex, scene of the fatal stabbing of teenager Breck Bednar by Lewis Daynes in 2014 after being groomed online - Stock Image

#justsaying

lol

1 hour ago, Steve Valentia said:

@Colblimp Nice one - did you ask him? Just curious. PM me and we can arrange to meet up. Remind me to bring you a copy of Cameracraft, the magazine I'm associate editor of, it'll give you something to read when you're not papping musicians. :)

I asked him on the aircraft - he said yes, once we're off.  I had to run after him and only just caught him before he got to passport control.  Can't PM on here any more - send me an email.  I'd love to see your mag, don't forget to bring one!

I'll say this and then run for cover...bearing in mind that I have already offered my tuppence worth...It's not where you live that will help you to be successful in photography (or anything else), it's how motivated you are to succeed at it.

One of the best books I ever read about photography (40 years ago) began with the unforgettable line...the first million photographs I took, were the hardest.

It was never an easy profession, and I started when you had to not only take photograph, but develop and print the film, too. I'm still because I love it. I've had times when I couldn't pay the rent or even sometimes wondered how I could live out the week on beans on toast without going mad (I know, where are the other three Yorkshire-men - Monty Python reference).

But, actually, now, I'm doing OK, many awards later and lots of well-paying jobs under my belt and I'm associate editor of a prestigious magazine.

Oh, did I mention you HAVE TO LOVE IT or, you'll give up very quickly?

Edited by Steve Valentia
  • Upvote 2