So how is your 2018 going, eh?

1 hour ago, Marb said:

I have been willing but the hours put into Alamy shooting, editing, keywording are futile in my case at least. Almost 2 months with no sale, with my amont of images as well below the average stats. Unfortunatley apathy is setting in.

Ian, I left a message in one of the threads for you to email me - I was going to give you some advice, albeit I'm a newbie myself - but I'm making sales.  You didn't email me, which surprised me.  As a fellow photographer, keep uploading and be positive!  I didn't make a single sale in May, but that didn't stop me uploading.  Yes, it was disappointing, but you pick yourself up and think positive! 

If you want some advice, email me, but please, if you decide not to, stop being so negative on the forum!

12 hours ago, Colblimp said:

Ian, I left a message in one of the threads for you to email me - I was going to give you some advice, albeit I'm a newbie myself - but I'm making sales.  You didn't email me, which surprised me.  As a fellow photographer, keep uploading and be positive!  I didn't make a single sale in May, but that didn't stop me uploading.  Yes, it was disappointing, but you pick yourself up and think positive! 

If you want some advice, email me, but please, if you decide not to, stop being so negative on the forum!

Sorry, I didn't see any email to message.

On 06/07/2018 at 16:02, Marb said:

Thanks Kay,  I appreciate your suggestion. I already have dry, cracked soil in a field uploaded here that hasn’t sold from the last heatwave we had. I genuinely have no motivation. Sadly, depression is rather debilitating but a lot of people who don’t suffer it don’t understand. Getting up in the morning is a big enough effort.

Hi, I hope it helps to say ive been suffering major depression for 8 years, maybe more, and I agree motivation is difficult when you are depressed and with my 'old age' i find its very much harder to get up and out as they say.

However, after sending 50 plus years working as a pro tog, im now retired and a few weeks ago I desided to add all my 'stock' to Alamy, with the help of friends and new friends on here, ive now uploaded about another 3000 images and i'm feeling very much more motorvated and revitalized ..... even keywording is helping my brain keep up to speed!

Thank you guys, Thank you Alamy.... i'm in for this ride... roll on... cheers, mike

20 minutes ago, mike ford said:

Hi, I hope it helps to say ive been suffering major depression for 8 years, maybe more, and I agree motivation is difficult when you are depressed and with my 'old age' i find its very much harder to get up and out as they say.

However, after sending 50 plus years working as a pro tog, im now retired and a few weeks ago I desided to add all my 'stock' to Alamy, with the help of friends and new friends on here, ive now uploaded about another 3000 images and i'm feeling very much more motorvated and revitalized ..... even keywording is helping my brain keep up to speed!

Thank you guys, Thank you Alamy.... i'm in for this ride... roll on... cheers, mike

You should do well here Mike. You have a solid stock portfolio. Keep uploading!

All the best.

Gen

On 7/10/2018 at 10:09, Colblimp said:

To be fair I am only reporting my experience of a lack of sales. When sales have come I have also reported those. I just don't know how I put a positive spin on the fact that my sales have been dry for almost 2 month, with more and more images uploaded, and a drastic decrease of views since April.

24 minutes ago, Marb said:

To be fair I am only reporting my experience of a lack of sales. When sales have come I have also reported those. I just don't know how I put a positive spin on the fact that my sales have been dry for almost 2 month, with more and more images uploaded, and a drastic decrease of views since April.

It's not being suggested that you put a "positive spin". It's being suggested that unless you have something positive to report you don't post at all.

Of course this is a public forum, but if your moaning is getting some of us down, in your situation we can only imagine what it's doing to you.

18 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

It's not being suggested that you put a "positive spin". It's being suggested that unless you have something positive to report you don't post at all.

Of course this is a public forum, but if your moaning is getting some of us down, in your situation we can only imagine what it's doing to you.

Why am I being singled out ? There are other people in the forums reporting poor sales.

2018 overall (not just Alamy) up about 100% over 2017 at the halfway point i.e. achieved on par with 2017 earnings before end of June. Healthier prices, probably a lot to do with major shift from RM to RF - succumbing to buyer pressure I guess, but also "rewarded".

11 hours ago, geogphotos said:

Interesting.

Is this primarily a shift of already existing images which you have changed from RM to RF ie) is it a direct comparison of the same images under both RF and RM?

Shifting old RM to RF. I don't like it, nobody but buyers like it. Some of us succumb/hope for the best - we been through those arguments. If you look around you see quite a few people saying things such as "RF only makes up 10% of my portfolio, but 50% of my revenue" (paraphrasing).

3 hours ago, geogphotos said:

I am not arguing. I have been saying for ages that Alamy would benefit from getting rid of these outdated licences and simply offering buyers the licence that they need/want. 

haha - I didn't mean that we were going to argue. I meant we all know the arguments for/against RM and RF etc. I agree, neither license is on par with today's technology. Hopefully some blockchain wizardry will enable your longtime wish for "small use - small fee" i.e. that actual use can actually be measured and paid for - the more accurate the fairer it would be. Fingers crossed. However for the time being the buyers without doubt are firmly in the RF camp, unfortunately.

Re- my post above, I will add my stats as evidence that uploading more and more work (in my case at least) is not paying off here. For some strange reason I cannot upload a screenshot of my zooms graph but here are the stats.

April : 1.31 (a promising good month)

May : 0.92

June :0.61

July : 0.35

Still no sales.

1 hour ago, Marb said:

Re- my post above, I will add my stats as evidence that uploading more and more work (in my case at least) is not paying off here. For some strange reason I cannot upload a screenshot of my zooms graph but here are the stats.

April : 1.31 (a promising good month)

May : 0.92

June :0.61

July : 0.35

Still no sales.

Marb - is that your CTRs for those months - if so how many zooms did you get each of those months?

Kumar

4 minutes ago, Doc said:

Marb - is that your CTRs for those months - if so how many zooms did you get each of those months?

Kumar

Yes Doc, the CTR figures for each point on the graph.

1 minute ago, Marb said:

It doesn't give them for each month, just 88 for July 2017- July 2018

but you can find out how many zooms you got each month from Alamy Measures/Your Images and then in the date range put in each month in turn to see how many zooms etc you got

Kumar

7 minutes ago, Doc said:

but you can find out how many zooms you got each month from Alamy Measures/Your Images and then in the date range put in each month in turn to see how many zooms etc you got

Kumar

Ok but the graph I can see shows a drastic decline since April. Like a profile of a mountain slope.

4 minutes ago, Marb said:

Ok but the graph I can see shows a drastic decline since April. Like a profile of a mountain slope.

My CTR remains stubbornly low - lower than most of yours. That, in itself won’t predict sales. There are so many factors that affect whether you get a sale or not. If you are getting lots of searches but not for what is the main thing in your images, then you may benefit from re-examining your captions and keywords. If you are getting a lot of appropriate searches, but no zooms, then either you may have too many similars, or poor images in comparison to others. Doc points out that you should look at which of your images are zoomed, to see what people are interested in, though not all sales are zoomed beforehand. A thorough analysis of your images and the plentiful stats that Alamy provides may give you some clues. Then, again, you may just be unlucky for these few months. 

42 minutes ago, Marb said:

And on msg, you are mentioning sharp falls in your sales in at least two micros as well.

The reason is in some proportion, the desirability of your files and some proportion, the over-saturation of the market in general. You have a relatively small port here, and at least 'some' of it is duplicated in micros, so your overall footprint is very small.

45 minutes ago, Marb said:

Ian, the way I see it is as follows: get rid of the micros, certainly get rid of the similars in your port and shoot more 'people doing things' pics.  I've had a quick look at your port and your latest images are 4 pics of an RAF flag flying. I'd contend only 1 is necessary.  Please don't give up, sales will come if you keep going. :)

Just now, Colblimp said:

Ian, the way I see it is as follows: get rid of the micros, certainly get rid of the similars in your port and shoot more 'people doing things' pics.  I've had a quick look at your port and your latest images are 4 pics of an RAF flag flying. I'd contend only 1 is necessary.  Please don't give up, sales will come if you keep going. :)

Thanks, I appreciate the encouragement. I don't mind accepting a fall off (and yes, micro too at the moment) but when I put the work in, make more editorial (exclusive here) I do expect at least to stay afloat, not sink. Interestingly, the main of my sales here are microstock duplicates, a lot that I haven't edited keywords (made up to a full ten super keywords after Alamy messed them all up a couple of years ago) which makes me wonder how important keywording actually is here. It will take me an eternity to finish setting my keywords back to normal (10 supertags) which is a conundrum because I may be wasting valuable time I could be doing with my other media.

10 minutes ago, Colblimp said:

Ian, the way I see it is as follows: get rid of the micros, certainly get rid of the similars in your port

I'm not sure about getting rid of the micros altogether, although Ian's recent experience with the micros seems to be as bad as with Alamy.

Sadly, I'm still earning more on my only micro as here, even proportionately.* Different files in each. It's falling there, because of lowering rpd and falling sales and I haven't uploaded there for two years (that may change) - but sadly, the genre which sells for me best there hardly even gets viewed here. I'm guessing it's horses for courses - probably the secret is working out where the buyers for each kind of image go to buy.

*I'm trying to remain hopeful that with uploading, Alamy will catch up, but not holding my breath.

2 minutes ago, Marb said:

It will take me an eternity to finish setting my keywords back to normal (10 supertags) which is a conundrum because I may be wasting valuable time I could be doing with my other media.

If you are doing better with your other media, the answer surely must be to focus on that, and only upload and manage images when you have some spare time. Focus on your strengths.

Archived