Do You Try to Take Great Photographs?

I don't.

Have I ever taken a great photo? That would not be for me to say.

I feel that there is usually a large amount of serendipity in great images. But the photographers must put themselves in place to take them. 

What I try to do is capture very good images. 

Edo

• Love 4
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

I don't.

I feel that there is usually a large amount of serendipity in great images. But the photographers must put themselves in place to take them. 

Edo

I take utilitarian photographs that others are willing to use and ready to pay me for that privilege. I do not really ponder whether they are great or mediocre.

GI

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

I don't.

Edo

I do try and consistently fail.

I have a few (very few) pictures that have won or been rated in (minor) competitions, but they aren't great and not the sort of thing that I would add to my Alamy port.

One day I may get a 'banker' but I won't hold my breath.

Edited by Dave Richards
changed text

14 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Nail upon head, Ed 😉

There was a time when I would set out to record a particular scene taking the tripod and multiple exposures, but I never got anything particularly special. I think it more important to develop an eye for an attractive scene and react when you see it. Camera in pocket always.

Edited by Bryan
  • Love 1
  • Like 1

Yes of course I do. I'm a photographer so I naturally try to be the best photographer I can be. I've no idea if I'm successful because it's not for me to judge, and the word "great" on Facebook has no meaning.

Alan

• Like 1

I think my view is best framed by the Roger Cicala, who ran Lensrentals. He said in his Blog, "a prime lens may be the best lens but it's not always the most appropriate lens". I would love to be able to take great pictures , but I find a reasonable picture which meets the need of its market to be just as rewarding.

Stay safe.

I think that good /bad photo when shooting for stock is less relevant than "Does it sell". If it does sell/licence well then the rest is not really relevant. Lots of us must have images in our portfolio that we are less than happy with but still get repeat licences for.

• Love 2

6 hours ago, Robert M Estall said:

I have quite a few photographs which have worked out really well. I would not have gotten those if I had not learned a few skills and made me and my cameras available.  Remember the old adage: f5.6 and BE THERE. 

Ohhhhh! I thought it was f8 and be there. That must be where I am going wrong. 😀

Paulette

• Love 1

20 hours ago, NYCat said:

Ohhhhh! I thought it was f8 and be there. That must be where I am going wrong. 😀

Paulette

Nowadays, it should be more like f2.8 and be there for the shallower focus and bokeh effect. 😃

Edited by Michael Ventura

On 09/11/2021 at 03:28, Robert M Estall said:

I have quite a few photographs which have worked out really well. I would not have gotten those if I had not learned a few skills and made me and my cameras available.  Remember the old adage: f5.6 and BE THERE. 

Robert,

I am getting old, but I remember it as f8 and BE THERE......

Chuck

"Great" is difficult to define.  I come from journalism so to me it is about communication.  I remember the windows sign on shot, Windows XP, it is not a 

great image, but it did make the photographer that made it a lot of money.

I guess that is why I was never a very good "stock photographer."

Edited by Chuck Nacke
addition

I think "f5.6 and be there" is a modern corruption of "f8 and be there" for cropped sensor photographers.

Either are snappier than set an appropriate aperture to gain sufficien depth of field for a realistic expectation of a sharp subject and be there. Others may disagree. 🙃

Do I try to take great photographs?

NO! I leave that to others.

What I try to do is take photos that will sell.       Failing miserably.

Allan

Usually, if I’ve taken something that I later consider to be marginally great (only to me), it is something that arose quickly and the opportunity was a surprise.

The thing about “great”, is it usually is in the eye of the beholder. What I consider great might be ho-hum to another set of eyes.

As far as a great image for stock, the prices it sells for these days make it un-great.

When I considering great, I don’t judge it by whether it is a great stock image. Often it is when I see it on the computer, it gives me a thrill, almost a shiver. Again, it might appear very pedestrian to others.

Its rather like art…paintings…some people see the painting in awe, someone else thinks it’s cr**.

I really don’t try to take great images, if they happen, they happen.

Edited by Betty LaRue
  • Love 1