Do You Try to Take Great Photographs?

On 08/11/2021 at 14:12, Ed Rooney said:

I don't.

Have I ever taken a great photo? That would not be for me to say.

I feel that there is usually a large amount of serendipity in great images. But the photographers must put themselves in place to take them. 

What I try to do is capture very good images. 

Edo

I think it is sad that the thread that Edo started did not evolve into a more interesting discussion.  There are some surprisingly "Great"

photos on Alamy and I sometimes think that even Alamy does not see them or the value (long term value) in them.  I also wish that

Alamy did more to promote the "Exceptional Images" that are hidden in the library.

Chuck

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Chuck Nacke said:

I think it is sad that the thread that Edo started did not evolve into a more interesting discussion.  There are some surprisingly "Great"

photos on Alamy and I sometimes think that even Alamy does not see them or the value (long term value) in them.  I also wish that

Alamy did more to promote the "Exceptional Images" that are hidden in the library.

Chuck

I made this very point to James at the NEC photography show and it seems like they just ain't gonna do it! 

To them a photo is a photo is a photo etc, etc, etc, 

As for making great photos... I try to make the best photo I can in the situation I'm in, but usually think I could have done better when I look at the results.

Phil

• Love 2

2 hours ago, Phil Crean said:

I made this very point to James at the NEC photography show and it seems like they just ain't gonna do it! 

I always imagined that the 'Creative' tab in the search results was a stab in that direction and I think a potential buyer might think the same. Now it seems that it produces identical results to 'Relevant', why is it still there I wonder.

• Love 1
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Harry Harrison said:

I always imagined that the 'Creative' tab in the search results was a stab in that direction and I think a potential buyer might think the same. Now it seems that it produces identical results to 'Relevant', why is it still there I wonder.

I've also wondered that! Why not just get rid....

Phil

I don't know what makes a photo great.  I sold an image last year on here which is now being used on the back of a $10 banknote in Trinidad & Tobago.  Is it a great image?  Photographically probably not,  but to me it is😉 - thanks again to Wim for actually finding it for me😄  

I always try my best 😄

Carol

• Love 1

6 hours ago, Mr Standfast said:

So what is it that makes a photo great? 🦔

The eye of the beholder. Sometimes that’s just one person.

with my family, if multiple people go “Ohhhh, send that to me”, I might consider it great. Then again, that’s only one set of beholders, and they might be prejudiced.

• Love 2