Images sold in October 2020

3 hours ago, wiskerke said:

Tanjong Pagar is in the keywords. Google maps.

wim

Thank you, Wim. Still not sure why the uniformity of the roofs. There are communities in California that require the Spanish tiles. It seems the government was responsible for some renovating of the neighborhood. I doubt there was the same uniformity as the area grew originally.

Paulette

1 minute ago, NYCat said:

Thank you, Wim. Still not sure why the uniformity of the roofs. There are communities in California that require the Spanish tiles. It seems the government was responsible for some renovating of the neighborhood. I doubt there was the same uniformity as the area grew originally.

Paulette

Ah yes, let's wait for a resident to clarify this.

What I remember is that in that area there were massive conservation/restoration/rebuilding schemes going on in the 80-s and 90-s. And that almost all the rest of the CBD has been developed into modern business towers with the high building in the image as the highest. Sir James Dyson apparently lives on top three floors.

I haven't been there in years, so I have not seen it yet.

wim

1 minute ago, Russell said:

I wonder if whoever posted the Red was objecting to the subject content rather than Sally's sale.

No doubt but it beggars belief that any contributor could be so ignorant of the purpose of the arrows.

• Love 1
  • Like 3
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, Russell said:

I wonder if whoever posted the Red was objecting to the subject content rather than Sally's sale.

I suspect so. But this is a photography forum not a politics debate and the thread is about sales for goodness sake. I'll take photos of politicians of whatever hue, shade or orientation whatever I think of them. 

• Like 9

On 07/10/2020 at 18:34, NYCat said:

I was interested in all the orange roofs and looked up the image to learn about them. They aren't even mentioned in your caption or keywords. Is this a special housing district of some kind? Just curious. I'm not familiar with Singapore.

Paulette

It was mentioned as shophouses, usually 2 to 3 stories high. These are conservation houses which goes back as early in the 19th century. 

Allow me to share 2 shophouse pictures here with you, hope nobody penalise me.

Let me know if more keywords are needed? I may missed out..
well-maintain-conserved-shophouse-converboat-quay-in-the-past-is-a-used-handle-s

Ricky

• Love 1

21 hours ago, wiskerke said:

Ah yes, let's wait for a resident to clarify this.

What I remember is that in that area there were massive conservation/restoration/rebuilding schemes going on in the 80-s and 90-s. And that almost all the rest of the CBD has been developed into modern business towers with the high building in the image as the highest. Sir James Dyson apparently lives on top three floors.

I haven't been there in years, so I have not seen it yet.

wim

Wim you are quite right about the restoration schemes, mainly transform into commercial space usage, residential, bars and restaurants etc. it will be too painful to demolish what our forefathers had given us. 

Tiles are mainly used for restoration work for older houses/temples before the modern architecture kicks in. Orange tiles (red clay) also looks attractive in a way but i don't think that's the main reason because is only for street appeal and increase of property value visually. But factoring the cost and energy efficient, easy to replace broken tiles than replace the entire roof when damage. There are a lot of technical benefits that are too long to go on. 

Even Raffles Hotel (c.1887) here when doing refurnished work for a few years, the roof were changed to a new set of orange tiles, i remember the workers up there laying it piece by piece. 

Image ID: A5W99Y

For over $200 direct, exclusive

Metal detector enthusiast club searching a field Lower Hacheston, Suffolk, England 

Before I knew about doing ANY post-processing. 

STILL don't know how to post an Alamy image on Safari

Edited by geogphotos

5 hours ago, rickygui said:

Wim you are quite right about the restoration schemes, mainly transform into commercial space usage, residential, bars and restaurants etc. it will be too painful to demolish what our forefathers had given us. 

Tiles are mainly used for restoration work for older houses/temples before the modern architecture kicks in. Orange tiles (red clay) also looks attractive in a way but i don't think that's the main reason because is only for street appeal and increase of property value visually. But factoring the cost and energy efficient, easy to replace broken tiles than replace the entire roof when damage. There are a lot of technical benefits that are too long to go on. 

Even Raffles Hotel (c.1887) here when doing refurnished work for a few years, the roof were changed to a new set of orange tiles, i remember the workers up there laying it piece by piece. 

Thank you for the explanation. It makes sense. I think for the aerial views in which a significant portion of the image shows the roofs it would make sense to include "orange tile roofs". I think in places like Pacific Palisades, California with Spanish tile roofs there is an aesthetic goal but it certainly makes sense that tiles are very practical.

Paulette

Edited by NYCat

4 hours ago, geogphotos said:

Metal detector enthusiast club searching a field Lower Hacheston, Suffolk, England 

There you go (hope you don't mind me jumping in). Can't help with Safari, I'm afraid.

Metal detector enthusiast club searching a field Lower Hacheston, Suffolk, England - Stock Image

Reminds me of one of my favourite comedies of the last few years.

4 hours ago, geogphotos said:

Drag and drop should work in Safari on a Mac. If it assumes you want to download it, try shutting down Finder first.

You do need to have both pages open of course.

wim

I believe in mermaids sold low $$$

Usage: Editorial
Media: Television (editorial)
Print run: Unlimited transmissions
Placement: Use within body of show
Start: 08 October 2020
Duration: In perpetuity All rights, all media, worldwide, in perpetuity.

blonde-woman-cosplay-costume-dressed-as-a-mermaid-posing-on-the-sand-at-bathers-beach-fremantle-western-australia-2B19NB2.jpg

• Love 2

3 hours ago, domf said:

I believe in mermaids sold low $$$

Usage: Editorial
Media: Television (editorial)
Print run: Unlimited transmissions
Placement: Use within body of show
Duration: In perpetuity All rights, all media, worldwide, in perpetuity.

blonde-woman-cosplay-costume-dressed-as-a-mermaid-posing-on-the-sand-at-bathers-beach-fremantle-western-australia-2B19NB2.jpg

Magnificent

Hispanic family cleaning up a creek.  Mid  $$

Media: Educational, editorial mutli use package
Industry sector: Media, design & publishing
Print run: Unlimited
Placement: Any - print inside, electronic, online
Image Size: 1 page
Duration: In perpetuity

Earth Day Hispanic family cleans up garbage trash rubbish from a creek in Maryland USA Stock Photo

Edited by Michael Ventura