Post a bad thing that happened in your life today

Ed Rooney

1 hour ago, Bryan said:

Oh dear, Sad story !

We used to have Golden Orfe in our garden pond, but, over the years the, presumably, herons took them all.  It's now inhabited by very cautious frogs and various plants, although a few newts would be very welcome. Our friend down the road has newts in his pond, but they appear unwilling to make the journey a few hundred yards further north.

We used to have frogs in the smaller pond which was lovely, hopefully if we redo this pond we might attract more wildlife.  Meanwhile Fish No. 3 is still clinging onto life - just although he's turned himself the right way up by that I mean he's not on his side which he was before, though he hasn't moved from the spot he is in.  Not getting any hopes up....

Carol

1 hour ago, NYCat said:

I half-way fell for phishing emails purportedly from Apple this morning. I say half-way because I was aware I should not call the phone number provided but I did click a link and put in my Apple ID and password. Oh nonononoo. The encouraging thing is that when I tried to log in to my Apple account a few minutes later to change my password it would not accept that old password so they apparently already knew about those criminals and were invalidating keywords on their site. I'd had my password for decades and am sorry to lose it but grateful that nothing worse happened. I hadn't had my coffee but I guess that's not really a good excuse.

Paulette

I think these scammers pick very early morning when potential victims are just waking up and still half asleep so more likely to get fooled. At least nothing came of it. 

1 hour ago, MDM said:

I think these scammers pick very early morning when potential victims are just waking up and still half asleep so more likely to get fooled. At least nothing came of it. 

Yes, and when I looked back at it I saw they came in at 1AM and 2AM. Not the hours of Apple Stores.

Paulette

7 hours ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

Woke up this morning and found our 3 beautiful black and gold koi fish all dead in our pond😟 We've had them for maybe 15 years or more from when they were very small and they had beautiful markings on them.  Very strange that all 3 should go to fish heaven on the same day.  We will now drain the pond and decide what to do with it next.  I am thinking no more fishes just lots of plants for wildlife - well that will be another project, the pond is quite deep about 4ft so will need to decide on how best to proceed.  RIP fish....

Carol

Anyone spraying nearby?   A friend lost a macaw when people were spraying insecticides.  Other thing -- check the bodies for signs of a heron.  A thing here is neuroleptic wasp venom -- a wasp drowned in a small tank of mine and killed a number of smaller fish and left one obviously suffering from nerve damage.  Other thing to check is a change in water chemistry at the water plant unless you're on a well.  Also, check for dog foot prints.  Or something rotten in the bottom of the pond. 

If you replace with fish that are large and friendly, you might want to put in a web cam to watch what or who does into the pond.  

19 minutes ago, Doc said:

Got COVID. Fully vaccinated. Reasonably well with it.

Oh no! Is this from your trip?

Take it easy Kumar.

Edited by gvallee

2 hours ago, Doc said:

It finally gotcha then Kumar. Take it easy and don't rush trying to get back to full speed is my recommendation to the Doc. Wishing you the best. 

My son tested positive today but is asymptomatic which is fortunate as he had an exam today as well. He is also triply vaccinated. 

8 hours ago, Doc said:

Good to hear that you're not too badly affected by it !

I was talking to an acquaintance in his late 30s whose family had caught the bug over Xmas. He and their child had mild symptoms but his wife was ill and had to spend a couple of days in bed, despite full vaccination.  You just don't know how you will react. 

9 hours ago, Doc said:

Good to hear you're reasonably OK. So far my wife and I have been overcautious and avoided Covid, though I have been photographing in some pretty crowded outside areas, such as by Downing St during protest marches. Have been lucky so far. Even when the rules on mask wearing change soon I'll still wear FFP2 masks on mainline train journeys, and avoid the London tube.

Edited by sb photos

2 hours ago, sb photos said:

Good to hear you're reasonably OK. So far my wife and I have been overcautious and avoided Covid, though I have been photographing in some pretty crowded outside areas, such as by Downing St during protest marches. Have been lucky so far. Even when the rules on mask wearing change soon I'll still wear FFP2 masks on mainline train journeys, and avoid the London tube.

I  listened to a doctor on the BBC this morning who recommended continuing to wear a mask in crowded confined spaces, despite government dropping the requirement from Thursday next week. I suspect that a large number of people will stop wearing masks as quite a few ignored the law in any event. It amazed and annoyed me that many elderly bus travellers continued to go without despite the risk.

• Love 2

Thanks all - shall have to take things easy for the next week (enforced of course)! This latest variant is, I think, very highly infectious. Once out of isolation I will continue to wear a mask in indoor spaces

Kumar

• Love 2

9 minutes ago, Doc said:

Thanks all - shall have to take things easy for the next week (enforced of course)! This latest variant is, I think, very highly infectious. Once out of isolation I will continue to wear a mask in indoor spaces

Kumar

Bad luck, and that's all it is now, luck. And a booster top-up😉

OH didn't know she had it and only discovered it taking a LFT for a social event. Thought it was a mild cold as the symptoms were not the official ones. As a friend described it, a nuisance, mainly because she'd prepaid for the event! We slept apart for the duration and I didn't get it.

Probably got at the gym which I don't do, although she had sat opposite an unmasked man on the tube for about 20 minutes on New Year's Day (I moved).

Edited by spacecadet
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Doc said:

Kumar

Sorry to hear this.

Hope you are better soon.

I work outside. But have not stopped wearing a mask since the start of covid when indoors. 

Adrian 

• Thanks 1

Some semi-random thoughts on Covid and the removal of restrictions.

1. There were 108,000 confirmed new cases reported yesterday which is a huge number and even then is likely to be greatly underestimated as the UK government figures do not include re-infections (astounding) and there have been shortages of lateral flows tests in recent weeks.

2. The Omicron variant is much more infectious than previous variants but is supposedly milder (less likely to result in hospitalisation is what is generally meant by that) but far more people are getting infected so hospital numbers are extremely high and the NHS is under enormous pressure.

3. The Omicron variant is still too new to know what proportion of infected individuals will develop Long Covid which is still poorly understood. The evidence to date on previous variants suggests that there is no direct correlation between the mildness (or severity) of the acute phase of the illness and the propensity to develop or the severity of Long Covid after recovering from the acute phase. There can be a time gap. Long Covid is not just another post-viral illness just as Covid itself is not just another viral illness.  Covid and Long Covid can cause a multitude of nasty effects because the virus can infect numerous bodily organs, not just the respiratory system. At the moment it is estimated that at least 1.3 million people in the UK are experiencing Long Covid. The long term impacts on public health and the economy, never mind on individual lives, is a complete unknown.

4. Just because you are fully vaccinated does not mean you will not get Covid. It may be milder or a lot milder than it would be if you were not vaccinated but you could still develop Long Covid.

5. Just because you don't have any obvious symptoms and/or test negative by lateral flow does not mean you do not have Covid. You could be infectious and could infect other people.

6. Unless you are wearing an FFP2 or FFP3 mask, then the ordinary surgical masks do not provide a high level of protection for the wearer although they do help to protect others in your immediate environment.

7. I find this wholesale removal of restrictions very worrying and have no doubt that the announcement was timed as part of Operation Save Big Dog (I can think of more appropriate animals than dogs to describe this individual).. A lot of  people will get Covid unnecessarily and there will be a lot of unnecessary suffering and even death, particularly of vulnerable people, all to save one big ***. Populism at its worst.

Edited by MDM
  • Love 2
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Doc said:

Kumar

Sorry you caught the bug**r. Hope you recover soon.

Allan

• Love 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Rebecca Ore said:

Anyone spraying nearby?   A friend lost a macaw when people were spraying insecticides.  Other thing -- check the bodies for signs of a heron.  A thing here is neuroleptic wasp venom -- a wasp drowned in a small tank of mine and killed a number of smaller fish and left one obviously suffering from nerve damage.  Other thing to check is a change in water chemistry at the water plant unless you're on a well.  Also, check for dog foot prints.  Or something rotten in the bottom of the pond. 

If you replace with fish that are large and friendly, you might want to put in a web cam to watch what or who does into the pond.  

No spraying anywhere around.

We took a sample of the pond water into the Aquatic shop today for testing.  It was free of ammonia though the nitrate levels marginally high.  The only thing they could put it down to was a bacterial infection of some kind.  Fish 3 was still clinging onto life this morning, amazing as he was the smallest of the 3.  Alas I think it is kinder to place him with his other 2 brothers.....

Will revamp the pond in the Spring, it's too early to do it at the moment...

Carol

• Love 1

Yes, hope all goes well with your bout with Covid.  Same here, SO many people are getting the Omicron variant but fortunately very few are having a bad reaction.  It is really making it hard to complete some of my assignment shoots, with so many having to isolate for 5-10 days.  I had a mild cough last week and got a PCR test that came back negative...cough is gone now.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, geogphotos said:

I0000HBu6s6N0t.Q.jpg

Spencer aged 12, Nelson 3, Percy 14, Beatrice 8, Frank 9 months - five children from the Armstrong family died of diphtheria between October and December 1891. 

Puts my grumbles into perspective! 

I00003O0G5_WDDH8.jpg

Diphtheria was a terrible disease so I am very pleased to be a mid 1940's baby. The diphtheria vaccine came out in 1940.

Allan

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Diphtheria was a terrible disease so I am very pleased to be a mid 1940's baby. The diphtheria vaccine came out in 1940.

Allan

An interesting piece about the immunisation programme through to the 1950s here

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK545997/

A drop in immunisation rates after the war led the government to conclude, incorrectly, that the reason was apathy because, due to the immunisation programme, diphtheria had become much much less prevalent and deadly (by a factor of 20). So an information campaign was launched. It worked. In 1938 there were 2861 deaths, in 1960, five.

Edited by spacecadet

• Alamy locked this topic