Post a bad thing that happened in your life today

Ed Rooney

4 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

Sounds good to me. My place is quite easy to find. Turn left at Cache Creek, head down the Fraser Canyon and then hang a right at Hope. Would appreciate your tossing in a Caesar salad (with croutons). Thanks. 😎

Bon appétit!

Can do Caesar salad without the chicken?  Not sure our drone can make it that far, might take a while by sailing ship and packhorse..

We once had a delivery person turn up at our door with a boxed pizza - that we hadn't ordered. It later transpired that it was the neighbour's son who wanted it. Not knowing this we sent it back. Lad next door hungry and not happy. Precise delivery details essential.

1 hour ago, spacecadet said:

Eh? No chicken in a true Caesar salad.

Ye gods!  Are they trying to kill the poor old sod.

Allan

16 hours ago, Bryan said:

Can do Caesar salad without the chicken?  Not sure our drone can make it that far, might take a while by sailing ship and packhorse..

We once had a delivery person turn up at our door with a boxed pizza - that we hadn't ordered. It later transpired that it was the neighbour's son who wanted it. Not knowing this we sent it back. Lad next door hungry and not happy. Precise delivery details essential.

I went veggie (almost) decades ago, so without the chicken is fine with me. Given the big "freedom" protests here by truckers, pack horses may soon be the only option left in Canada. Grocery store shelves are starting to look pretty bare for many items.

Edited by John Mitchell

I never went for a boring life, did I? I am writing this by the side of the road, our motorhome having broken down in the middle of nowhere. By 44C. On a Sunday... And oh those flies.... 

Edited by gvallee

37 minutes ago, gvallee said:

I never went for a boring life, did I? I am writing this by the side of the road, our motorhome having broken in the middle of nowhere. By 44C. On a Sunday... And oh those flies.... 

Oh no... and whereabouts in Oz is the middle of nowhere... ?

16 minutes ago, Philip Game said:

Oh no... and whereabouts in Oz is the middle of nowhere... ?

Between Esperance and Albany, in the middle of a forest. The road kangaroos up and down and we have only erratic comms in the bus. We've dragged chairs in the forest where it's higher up for a signal but trees are skinny eucalypt and do not cast much shade.

We've dragged facenets out. We've got plenty of water (120l) but it comes out boiling hot out of the taps. Am crushing icecubes. We also have plenty of solar, just as well, as we just bought $500 worth of groceries in the fridge.

We're waiting for breakdown insurance to send a tow truck but the guy must be on the beach and is uncontactable for now. In the meantime, we've been told that with Covid, he might not accept passengers... What will happen only God knows. My middle name? Adventure. Guaranteed.

• Love 4

Gen, at least you know what you signed up for with your nomadic life.  My daughter just purchased a used, converted camper van so she can be a travel nurse.  Travel nurses can make big money here in the U.S. (she already makes double my best year as a photographer).  But I don't think she has a clue what she is signing up for.  I imagine I will get calls at all hours of her van being broken down somewhere and just needs moral support, if nothing else.  But she has dreamed of your nomadic life, for many years, and who's to stop her?....her mother certainly has tried but that only gives her more fuel for the fire.

I hope you get back on the road soon!!

Edited by Michael Ventura
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

Gen, at least you know what you signed up for with your nomadic life.  My daughter just purchased a used, converted camper van so she can be a travel nurse.  Travel nurses can make big money here in the U.S. (she already makes double my best year as a photographer).  But I don't think she has a clue what she is signing up for.  I imagine I will get calls at all hours of her van being broken down somewhere and just needs moral support, if nothing else.  But she has dreamed of your nomadic life, for many years, and who's to stop her?....her mother certainly has tried but that only gives her more fuel for the fire.

I hope you get back on the road soon!!

Good on your daughter Michael. I travelled to so many isolated areas where medical help is so sorely needed. She has to make sure that her camper is in good condition, well maintained, and that she has a breakdown insurance. And perhaps number one, decent comms, sat phone, etc. She will love it.

• Love 1

So we had a tow and are parked outside a garage. The V belt broke and caused carnage. It broke the T junction at the top of the radiator. We lost the coolant.

We are waiting to hear whether spare parts will come from Perth overnight or from the East Coast, a mere 4,000km away.

While waiting in the bus outside the garage, the heat was suffocating, we were dripping. We had opened all doors and windows when we saw a spectacular cold weather front coming. It felt like a mini-tornado. Curtains and everything were flying inside. The temperature dropped from 44C to about 30C in a few minutes. Obviously someone up there took pity on us. I danced in the burning wind outside. 

Edited by gvallee
  • Love 1
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Steve F said:

Gen, wow! Glad that worked out more or less alright. Good luck getting back on the road!

Thank you Steve. Tomorrow is another day and we'll see what can get fixed. We have everything we need on board and then some. Only worry is I have a dentist appointment on Thursday in a town 300km away. It was very difficult to get this appointment, other dentists being fully booked sometimes until August. That's rural Australia for you! 

Gen I may be imagining it but is that vehicle giving you more than the average amount of grief? I wonder if the old and breakable bits need a check over- was the vee belt overdue for changing? Losing a timing belt out there would be me$$y.

4 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Gen I may be imagining it but is that vehicle giving you more than the average amount of grief? I wonder if the old and breakable bits need a check over- was the vee belt overdue for changing? Losing a timing belt out there would be me$$y.

No, just the usual wear and tear, being full time on the road and having driven 64,000km in 2 years. 

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, gvallee said:

No, just the usual wear and tear, being full time on the road and having driven 64,000km in 2 years. 

Still watch that timing belt replacement interval, though. You might be close to it in a year or so even if it was new 2 years ago. Unless you have a chain.

Update on our breakdown

Monday:
Garage fully booked for the next 2 weeks but kindly finds an alternative mechanic and orders spare parts. They might come from Perth but might have to come from the East Coast.

Tuesday:
Some parts have arrived from Perth but not the belt.
Mechanic supposed to come after lunch.
Mechanic has suddenly to take his wife to the doctor.
Mechanic arrives at 2pm but announces that Tuesday is the day he drinks with his friends. Will start work tomorrow.

Having turned down our offer to use our 16t snatch straps, mechanic tows us to his workshop with a flimsy cable (we're 5.7t). We suffer 5km of terror when we see the road going up and down. Cable breaks twice uphill.  Bus brakes not working as no engine, use handbrake instead. Foul smell of brakes at arrival. Had to use our snatch straps in the end.

Currently parked in junkyard, shaken, having had a stiff drink or two to soothe nerves. 

Tomorrow is another day.

• Like 1

On 02/02/2022 at 13:09, Michael Ventura said:

Had two refunds today that wiped out my one sale and then some.  So now in the hole for the month.

So today today these two refunded sales have been re-billed at slightly higher prices.  Kinda made my day!!

• Love 3

15 hours ago, gvallee said:

Every day is a surprise. I hope tomorrow is a good one. 😀

It all makes fascinating reading, when are you going to write the book ?? 

Fingers crossed you get the van sorted ASAP

Still home alone with herself touring the country, but back Saturday. Made a cheesy leek and potato bake yesterday and ate too much. I quite enjoy cooking but find it difficult to judge quantities for one. Had success with Yorkshire puds on Sunday then enjoyed a pancake for breakfast with the leftover stuff!  Need to cycle to the shops for supplies today, the weather doesn't appear to be too atrocious. 

Spending time fixing things, both my home garden and allotment greenhouses need attention, that at the allotment being partially wrecked by gales.

TV currently dominated by winter Olympics, searching through catch up to find tolerable advert free alternatives.

5 hours ago, Bryan said:

TV currently dominated by winter Olympics, searching through catch up to find tolerable advert free alternatives.

The iPlayer has a load of great new drama. There is so much that I have not had a chance to watch much of it yet. The Responder is getting rave reviews as a very gritty police drama set in LIverpool. This is world class acting from Martin Freeman with fantastic cinematography. I have only watched the first episode so far. The Scouse is so dense I have to get my wife to translate but definitely worth the time of day. This is Going to Hurt is another brand new realistic drama / black comedy about the world of a junior doctor in the NHS that is getting rave reviews. There is loads more top quality drama but I will hold off in case you say you don't watch dramas.

For a documentary choice there is the Green Planet which you will probably have watched already. I have only watched the first episode but will be finding time to watch the rest. The cinematography is out of this world.

It is painful to realise that the additional funding cuts to the BBC will heavily impact on the quality of the programming,

Edited by MDM

• Alamy locked this topic