Post a bad thing that happened in your life today

Ed Rooney

Hopefully what I saw yesterday in the UK isn't going to become the norm. At many filling stations there were long queues for fuel, others were closed as out of fuel, others only had diesel available. Some filling stations had increased their fuels prices around 5p per litre.

I was going to fill up at a Sainsbury's filling station as their prices were some of the lowest, but cars queueing for long distances were causing traffic jams. Coincidently during the last panic buying I photographed the queues at the same filling station and one of the Alamy uploads from then was zoomed earlier this week. Nearer home I passed closed filling stations, including a large Esso one, and heard reports of some Tesco filling stations closed. I filled up at a smaller filling station, but at a much higher price.

I'm away from Saturday for 5 days in Suffolk, driving, but hoping I won't be wasting time looking for fuel. Just in case I carry a full 10 litre jerry can, the legally maximum here.

2 hours ago, sb photos said:

Hopefully what I saw yesterday in the UK isn't going to become the norm. At many filling stations there were long queues for fuel, others were closed as out of fuel, others only had diesel available. Some filling stations had increased their fuels prices around 5p per litre.

I was going to fill up at a Sainsbury's filling station as their prices were some of the lowest, but cars queueing for long distances were causing traffic jams. Coincidently during the last panic buying I photographed the queues at the same filling station and one of the Alamy uploads from then was zoomed earlier this week. Nearer home I passed closed filling stations, including a large Esso one, and heard reports of some Tesco filling stations closed. I filled up at a smaller filling station, but at a much higher price.

I'm away from Saturday for 5 days in Suffolk, driving, but hoping I won't be wasting time looking for fuel. Just in case I carry a full 10 litre jerry can, the legally maximum here.

We filled the tank at Sainsbury's a couple of days ago without any problems, but at the most expensive non motorway price that I have ever seen.

We were hoping to drive to  meet up with the family next weekend, but might be taking the train if this becomes a major problem.  Actually that sounds a better idea in any event !

17 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

Yep, that's why I wrote "most" dogs.  Some will tear you apart no matter what you do.  Wait, you were married at 16??  (or maybe before you married him?).

I was married in October, turned 16 in December. He was 18, turned 19 in December also. He was 6 months into a 4 year Air Force stint.  We were still married until he died from blood clots in 2018. I miscarried a 10 week fetus 5 months into our marriage and almost bled to death. I had so little blood volume left all I could see was shadows.

I packed a lot of living into the time before turning 20.

17 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

How is Echo with other males?

She would love you, Edo. All she requires is non-threatening approach close enough to gently speak to her for a few minutes. Jeff has never done that. He just walks purposely in and glares at her.
I asked him the other day if he had banged her cage with his hand or an item, and he says no. I don’t know whether I believe him. Once you get a parrot mad at you, they never forget. I have never seen the reaction she shows with Jeff with anyone else.

Echo has greatly suffered since my surgery.  She’s had 4 different family members care for her, and the two men simply took care of the chores. One daughter speaks gently to her, and Echo coos back. The other daughter spent time to woo Echo and eventually Echo rode on her shoulder. But Deb wasn’t here much, only a few days at a time and most of that time at the hospital with me.

So Echo was without the person she loved and is bonded with for a month, and developed some screaming habits. I expect Jeff didn’t respond well to that because he’s always hated any parrot squawks. He had to have banged her cage or something to make her show the animosity she’s showing.

Edited by Betty LaRue

Not a very bad thing but something to watch out for. I noticed that my little Sony RX100 was producing photos with flare around the highlights. I should have realised what the problem was immediately, but somehow didn't make the connection. You can't see the lens when you pick up the camera as it's covered by a protective shutter that only opens when you switch the power on. Yesterday the penny dropped and I took a look.  The outer element of the lens was smeared with something or other. A careful clean and we're back in business !

On 25/02/2022 at 05:48, sb photos said:

No apparent fuel shortage, I filled up yesterday with no problem. I guess what you experienced may have been people grabbing fuel before the prices got hiked up.

Hope you get the exhaust sorted OK.

Edited by Dave Richards
added text.

On 25/02/2022 at 14:25, Betty LaRue said:

All she requires is non-threatening approach close enough to gently speak to her for a few minutes.

Echo strikes me as a loving, gentle bird, not like her finger-chomping male pal, now gone. All creatures will defend themselves if they must. 

5 hours ago, Dave Richards said:

No apparent fuel shortage, I filled up yesterday with no problem. I guess what you experienced may have been people grabbing fuel before the prices got hiked up.

Hope you get the exhaust sorted OK.

The fuel shortage was just a 1 day blip. The exhaust problem was simple once the car was on the ramp. No charge but dropped the mechanic some beer money.

• Love 1

I was having such a great day today, it was warm enough out to not wear a jacket and I had two outdoor shoots.  I hired a new assistant and he worked out great.  All was well until I got home and I was carrying a somewhat heavy camera bag into the house and had a delivery box at my door.  Being a dumb guy, I thought I could manage to pick up the box while keeping the camera bag balanced on my shoulder and that did not work out so well.  My glass storm door sort slammed shut on me and my right elbow went through the glass.  At first I thought, oh just broken glass but then I saw that I had cuts in four places along my arm (not deep ones, thank goodness!).  I take a blood thinner so any cut scares the crap out of me.  I called my daughter and fortunately she was home and not working tonight.  She rush over (just a few minutes away) with her medical kit and patched me up nicely and now I owe her dinner and then some!  And now I need a new storm door, this one was so old, it is not worth repairing.

31 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

I was having such a great day today, it was warm enough out to not wear a jacket and I had two outdoor shoots.  I hired a new assistant and he worked out great.  All was well until I got home and I was carrying a somewhat heavy camera bag into the house and had a delivery box at my door.  Being a dumb guy, I thought I could manage to pick up the box while keeping the camera bag balanced on my shoulder and that did not work out so well.  My glass storm door sort slammed shut on me and my right elbow went through the glass.  At first I thought, oh just broken glass but then I saw that I had cuts in four places along my arm (not deep ones, thank goodness!).  I take a blood thinner so any cut scares the crap out of me.  I called my daughter and fortunately she was home and not working tonight.  She rush over (just a few minutes away) with her medical kit and patched me up nicely and now I owe her dinner and then some!  And now I need a new storm door, this one was so old, it is not worth repairing.

Sorry to hear that. A very human and normal accident. Most of think we can do more than it turns out that we can, and pay the price for doing it. I’m just glad that you didn’t cut an artery, which would have been really bad. Of course, you’d have had a camera bag strap handy for a tourniquet!! 

4 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

That sounds nasty Michael. Blood always looks scary. I once cut my thumb to the bone while washing a glass under hot water and it broke. The worst was to manage to put some clothes on to get to hospital for stitches, as I was doing the washing up in my birthday suit!

Hope you heal soon.

Edited by gvallee

2 hours ago, gvallee said:

That sounds nasty Michael. Blood always looks scary. I once cut my thumb to the bone while washing a glass under hot water and it broke. The worse was to manage to put some clothes on to get to hospital for stitches, as I was doing the washing up in my birthday suit!

Hope you heal soon.

Thanks Gen. Your story paints quite the picture! 😅

Good to hear you survived you misadventure Michael, and with medical help on hand !

This reminds me of an incident when I was replacing a double glazed unit which fell onto my head and smashed. My wife  pulled out the larger bits but I've been  picking out tiny pieces of glass ever since as they work their way to the surface. I was told that an X-ray would not spot glass, not sure if that is true. The accident could be partially responsible for my eccentricity, but then I've always been slightly weird so no change there !

Talking to the guys who have been working on our house it seems that having various foreign bodies inserted through their skin is par for the course, along with damaged knees etc. I used to regret being stuck indoors with a desk job, but it was relatively safe. I was pleased to see one of them wearing a mask when cutting brick, but he took it off to have a smoke !

13 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

That's sounds horrendous Michael but thankfully you are ok 🙏  Just goes to show how easily these things happen....

Carol

• Love 1

13 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

Very alarming, unless you have sharp elbows (sorry)! Glazed doors over here have to be of toughened glass to meet building regulations. Presumably your replacement will be.

• Love 1

5 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Very alarming, unless you have sharp elbows (sorry)! Glazed doors over here have to be of toughened glass to meet building regulations. Presumably your replacement will be.

Yes, I think this door that shattered is original to the house, which was built in the 1940s.  I will be sure the new one is built to better safety standards.

• Thanks 1

• Alamy locked this topic