Post a bad thing that happened in your life today

Ed Rooney

2 hours ago, MDM said:

Two questions out of interest. I don't dare to actually ask what is wrong.

What colour is it Edo?

Did you use the dreaded Migration Retarder?

It was blue, Michael. 🙂

Migration Retarder? 🤔

32 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

It was blue, Michael. 🙂

Migration Retarder? 🤔

Good choice of colour Edo. Migration Retarder is better known as the Migration Assistant but, from what I see of most people who use it, it seems to slow things down, often severely, hence retarder. 

• Thanks 1

Hola, Michael!

I remember that you advised me about that bulk transfer back when I bought the M1 MacBook Air a year ago. I set everything up from scratch as you suggested and it's worked out just fine. 

I will take a minute here to applaud Apple for the way they handled my unfortunate attempt to get an iMac. There was a Scouse misunderstand by me at the beginning. But they handled the return and refund in a most polite and helpful way. The money is now back in my account. 

Edo

• Love 2

Since the pandemic Mrs Shergar has been trimming my mane . She had a free hour this morning so I found myself  sat on a chair in the garden.  The good lady was snipping away with her new scissors when all of a sudden she stopped, and I heard the words. " I have to go get my glasses, don't worry it will grow back" .

Cheers and gone 

Shergar

• Love 1

6 hours ago, Shergar said:

Since the pandemic Mrs Shergar has been trimming my mane . She had a free hour this morning so I found myself  sat on a chair in the garden.  The good lady was snipping away with her new scissors when all of a sudden she stopped, and I heard the words. " I have to go get my glasses, don't worry it will grow back" .

Cheers and gone 

Shergar

My wife has always cut my hair very nicely, the only time I might be worried is if it was too late at night or after a busy work day. I avoid those times.

Yesterday afternoon to photograph I attempted to scramble up a steep bank opposite what used to be a row of very nice cottages to gain height and safety, as there was no pavement on that side of the road. I wouldn't have needed to if I had my 17 - 35mm lens with me, but I didn't, only a 24-70. I can remember first walking past the cottages from when I was 5 or 6, long long ago. The cottages and two large detached houses had been compulsory purchased by HS2, and are due for demolition this Spring. The back gardens of some of the properties had already been started on. I slid on the chalky soil and used my right leg to support myself against the road, and soon knew all was not well, right knee extreme pain. My knee's haven't been 100% for some time, but had been adequate. If I lock my leg straight all is reasonably well, but bending it is very painful. It has improved a little overnight, but not well enough for today's planned London trip and countryside walking arranged for tomorrow. At least I got the photos I wanted.

Ouch, Steve! 

Dangerous terrain is just one of the reasons this old dude stays away from Live News, especially after breaking my arm last year.

Regarding amateur barbering: Since Covid arrived, I've been trimming my own hair with a beard trimmer. I've got it looking good. Well, looking okay. I passed the Kurdish shop where I used to go yesterday and was happy to see they were very busy. (I still can't say 'trim' in Kurdish.)

Edo

I give a stylist the job of cutting my hair every 5 years or so. Then I look at what was done and swear, “never again”. I guess I have eternal hope one might actually listen to me say how I want it cut.
I need to give my current hairdresser a huge tip. She cuts it perfectly every time. I do wish I had a better mirror setup, though, so I could see the back better when I cut it.

21 hours ago, sb photos said:

My wife has always cut my hair very nicely, the only time I might be worried is if it was too late at night or after a busy work day. I avoid those times.

I have so little hair that it seems a pity to attack it, however my wife insists upon doing so on a regular basis.  I've not suffered any significant related damage to date.

Looking at our two sons, the elder has had  the misfortune to inherit my hair genes, but the younger appears to have those from his maternal grandfather, who retained a healthy head of hair all of his 90 years. 

12 hours ago, Bryan said:

I have so little hair that it seems a pity to attack it, however my wife insists upon doing so on a regular basis.  I've not suffered any significant related damage to date.

Looking at our two sons, the elder has had  the misfortune to inherit my hair genes, but the younger appears to have those from his maternal grandfather, who retained a healthy head of hair all of his 90 years. 

My husband was follicularly challenged along with being somewhat short. 5’9”.  My son takes after my dad who kept his hair and was 6 feet tall. So I passed on some decent genes. I was 5’6”, until my bad spine compressed. I’m now 5’4 1/2 inches.

27 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

My husband was follicularly challenged along with being somewhat short. 5’9”.  My son takes after my dad who kept his hair and was 6 feet tall. So I passed on some decent genes. I was 5’6”, until my bad spine compressed. I’m now 5’4 1/2 inches.

Betty, you haven’t given us an update on your recovery in while.  How’s it going?  Maybe no new news is good news!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

Betty, you haven’t given us an update on your recovery in while.  How’s it going?  Maybe no new news is good news!

I hated to bore everyone. I saw my surgeon a week ago. He listened to my groin complaint, and suggested an MRI of my hip. But I have came to the conclusion that I tore a muscle that connects to my pelvis and knee when I fell that first day when I was transferred to rehab. My daughters, who discovered me, said I was holding onto a grab bar in the bathroom while the rest of me was in the floor, and my legs were in bad positions. At this point, I’m not entirely sure the MRI would show anything.

At first, it was only the groin that hurt, but then in later days, the pain swept through that whole muscle if I moved “wrong”. Whatever, I think the injury is slowly healing because if I move very slowly and deliberately, I can pick something up off the floor. I couldn’t do that for two months without severe pain to the injury.

I’m still in therapy, and my therapist has slowly been able to expand the exercises as I heal. I can walk without assistance, but it’s not smooth because the right leg (injury) is much weaker. I was tested at the doctors office, and that also was their finding. Most of the time I’m using a cane. At the end of the day, sometimes I use the walker because I develop pain in the left back region. This is the same pain I had before surgery and it alarms me. If I’m on my feet for awhile, it happens. I’m hoping it’s just the nerve that was impinged that is still in the healing process.

I have been able to go down my driveway and get the newspaper and mail, using the cane. I’ve come close to falling twice in the house because I wasn’t watching the floor and stubbed a toe on something. Fortunately, a chair or dresser was close enough to grab before I hit the floor. The doctor did release me from the brace, which made me happy.

I was told it would take a year to heal, and I finally have to accept that. I felt like I was Superwoman and would defy that, but I guess I’m a mere mortal. I do feel I would be much further along without the injury because I would be walking with a normal gait if not for the weak right leg.  So there I am. I began driving again just over a week ago and that doesn’t bother the injury at all. YAY! So I can drive myself to therapy, finally.

My son is still living with me because I’m not 100% self-sufficient yet.

Betty

• Love 1
  • Like 2

It does sound like a lot of progress, Betty. It must be very frustrating to not be able to move along more quickly. I certainly get discouraged when I have a bad day with my arthritic foot. I try to let that inspire me to do the wretched exercises. Boring!

Paulette

4 hours ago, NYCat said:

It does sound like a lot of progress, Betty. It must be very frustrating to not be able to move along more quickly. I certainly get discouraged when I have a bad day with my arthritic foot. I try to let that inspire me to do the wretched exercises. Boring!

Paulette

2 hours ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

Great you can at least drive again Betty but take it easy in all other respects😁

Carol

Yes, I can see progress. Actually a lot from the time I came home in early February.  I just finished PT again and the therapist used cups to try to get that left back muscle out of spasm. It worked for my exercises, but hello! It was in spasm again by the time I got home. I sit in my chair a lot with heat on my back which feels so good.

Poco a poco, Betty. When recovering from my broken arm over a year ago, I tried a music trick I used to do when practicing Tai Chi. In my head, I'd hum Handel's Sarabande, a very slow piece that Stanley Kubrick used in the film Barry Lyndon. These days, when my balance doesn't feel right, I try to move in a slower Tai Chi way. I don't know what the country music equivalent of Sarabande would be -- maybe Willie's Always on My Mind? 

Anyway, I'm glad you're improving. I hope Echo is being sympathetic.

Edo

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Poco a poco, Betty. When recovering from my broken arm over a year ago, I tried a music trick I used to do when practicing Tai Chi. In my head, I'd hum Handel's Sarabande, a very slow piece that Stanley Kubrick used in the film Barry Lyndon. These days, when my balance doesn't feel right, I try to move in a slower Tai Chi way. I don't know what the country music equivalent of Sarabande would be -- maybe Willie's Always on My Mind? 

Anyway, I'm glad you're improving. I hope Echo is being sympathetic.

Edo

I must try that humming thing. There was a song, can’t tell you by who, years ago.  “Mee-chelle, my belle, la-la”-and so on. It was sung very slow. One Sunday I drove the 20 miles to visit my mother. I took my youngest, who was 3 years old. She was in the passenger front seat, no seatbelts in the car, also before child seats or they hadn’t caught on yet. This Michelle song came on the car radio, sounding like a dirge. Kim scooted to the edge of her seat, put her arm and forehead on the dash, and sobbed at the perceived sadness of the song. That demonstrated how music can affect one’s mood.

19 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

I must try that humming thing. There was a song, can’t tell you by who, years ago.  “Mee-chelle, my belle, la-la”-and so on. It was sung very slow. One Sunday I drove the 20 miles to visit my mother. I took my youngest, who was 3 years old. She was in the passenger front seat, no seatbelts in the car, also before child seats or they hadn’t caught on yet. This Michelle song came on the car radio, sounding like a dirge. Kim scooted to the edge of her seat, put her arm and forehead on the dash, and sobbed at the perceived sadness of the song. That demonstrated how music can affect one’s mood.

That would be The Beatles who recorded Michelle in 1965.  Great song.  So glad you are getting better Betty!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

It's tough to beat this tune for humming yourself back to health.

Ahh, the Chicago and Muti. Maybe it takes an Italian to visit the heart of Beethoven? Do I have something more important to do than listen to this entire masterpiece for over an hour? John, I will never have something more important to do.

• Love 1

Sad news that Bruce Willis, star of “Die Hard”, “The Sixth Sense” and many other films is stepping away from acting because he has been diagnosed with aphasia. I have always enjoyed his films. He broke out of action films and showed his tender side with The Sixth Sense, proving he could do everything. I hate it that this has happened to him.

Edited by Betty LaRue
  • Love 1
  • Like 1

Back to wintry conditions in these parts with hail storms and near freezing temperatures. Made me paint the kitchen ceiling for the want of something to do !  We did walk a couple of miles to the local shopping centre during a break in the weather, but caught the bus back. The forecast looks better for next week. 

12 hours ago, Bryan said:

Back to wintry conditions in these parts with hail storms and near freezing temperatures. Made me paint the kitchen ceiling for the want of something to do !  We did walk a couple of miles to the local shopping centre during a break in the weather, but caught the bus back. The forecast looks better for next week. 

I woke up to a beautiful snow yesterday. The flakes were large and continued falling for several hours. We got 2.4” out of it, but by 1 o’clock it was melted from bright sunshine and warmer temps.

Edited by Betty LaRue

• Alamy locked this topic