Post a bad thing that happened in your life today

Ed Rooney

On 14/04/2022 at 00:32, sb photos said:

I was going to have an early night around 10.30pm, but am only just now about to turn in. All due to our cat Bran. Usually when out he keeps on nipping back for snacks, but not tonight. It was so unusual I began to worry, until he sauntered in about 10 minutes ago. I had noticed it was quite warm out tonight, and when I stroked him he felt warm. Now off to bed 2 hours later than I planned.

Cats make their own rules.

In Woodstock, I had a rent-a-cat. Nuppy was her name. The people at the end of the road 'owned' her but they didn't let her in the house. One stormy winter night, Nuppy came to my window and ran her paw down the glass to get my attention. I turned and she mouthed a silent meow. I opened the window and she looked at me with that cat attitude that said, 'what do you want?' Then she jumped into the room and made a soft happy sound that melted my heart.

Nuppy spent that winter with me. 

• Love 1

19 hours ago, spacecadet said:

Not really a problem per se, we have one in the loft, admittedly the kitchen loft (new extension, single-storey), and it's only a folding ladder away. It does save a lot of space.

The greater issue is that if there's ever a leak, gravity is not on your side. Although a radiator valve is probably more likely to fail, DAMHIK😐

If you're not set on a replacement, boiler parts tend to remain available for a long time. They're certainly still available for our 2003 one. I replaced a circuit board about 10 years ago and they're still around. Ditto the gas valve. Just google your model number. Not many things wear out.

Yes it would save space having it in the loft and we do have a folding ladder and if it does go wrong it won't be me that's fixing it.  Also the controls will be accessible in the airing cupboard.  Amazingly, the parts are still available for our ancient Vaillant, it was installed in 1997 and when I contact Vaillant with the serial number of the boiler and ask for the part number of the part we need they have been very helpful and we've been able to source the part and get it fitted.   As much as I would like to keep the boiler, I'm worried that as it's gone wrong twice in a short space of time, it may be time to change it for a new one.

19 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Just a quick heads up on Worcester Bosh boilers. The young lady next door to me where I was living in Cambridge had a new WB boiler fitted and for about six months after the WB engineers were there nearly every week trying to fix some problem or other with it. Not sure what happened in the end.

Also I would be very concerned about putting a gas boiler in the loft. It needs to be readily accessible for maintenance needs and (god forbid) repairs.

The boiler I had at the Cambridge property was an Ideal Classic and it had been in there for at least 20 years with regular annual maintenance and only two or three repairs that I know of.  When I moved to Lincoln the bungalow I moved to also has an Ideal Classic boiler which was installed in 2004 when the bungalow was built and is still going strong with regular maintenance and only one repair that I know of which was while I was in residence.

Also I would never have a combi either.

Allan

Decided against a Worcester Bosh - also British Gas quoted for a 30KW model - ours at present is 18KW and have been told unless we wish to heat the whole of our street 18KW/24KW is more than sufficient.

18 hours ago, sb photos said:

We had our old boiler replaced by a Valiant around 10 years ago. No problems other than making an adjustment if the water pressure to our house fell and of course the cost of gas.

Will probably stick with Vaillant also.  Our water pressure is very good here apparently......

Carol

2 minutes ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

As much as I would like to keep the boiler, I'm worried that as it's gone wrong twice in a short space of time, it may be time to change it for a new one.

Depends on the fault- the parts you've just replaced probably won't be failing any time soon!

1 minute ago, spacecadet said:

Depends on the fault- the parts you've just replaced probably won't be failing any time soon!

The last one was a pressure relief valve, the one prior to that was an overheat thermostat and a few years ago from memory it was a PCB board or something like that, part wasn't quite so easy to get for that one if I remember correctly.  The last 2 parts have been reasonable £30/£40 plus £60 & £80 for fitting which included the fault finding.  We are lucky in that we have a neighbour who is gas safe registered and it's his job.  I'm just panicking a bit as it's Sod's law if we keep the boiler, knowing my luck it will breakdown when it's freezing cold....

Carol

• Thanks 1

A tale of two steak and kidney pies. 

We recently visited Jedburgh, in the Scottish Borders, and dined at the Carter's Rest where I enjoyed what was the best bar meal of my life, a succulent steak and kidney pie accompanied by crispy chips and a selection of crunchy vegetables. The pie was served in a ceramic bowl with a flaky pastry top, and beneath lay oodles of rich gravy and chunks of melt in your mouth meat. There was too much to eat, but I ate it.

Moving on, we've just returned from a short break in North Yorkshire staying in an old pub come hotel. A characterful building with exposed beams and creaking floorboards, the accommodation was fine, but my dinner a disaster. Wishing to build upon the success of my previous pie meal I ordered the same. 

This time the pie was a small circular piece of pastry of the type that you might find on the shelves of a supermarket, it contained a black stodge with no identifiable pieces of meat. A small gravy boat provided some lubrication, but not enough to enliven the the average chips, while the veg consisted only of peas. My wife had ordered lasagne, and that was Ok and she charitably shared some of her meal with me. I should have complained, but didn't, we won't be visiting that particular establishment again.

4 hours ago, Bryan said:

A tale of two steak and kidney pies. 

We recently visited Jedburgh, in the Scottish Borders, and dined at the Carter's Rest where I enjoyed what was the best bar meal of my life, a succulent steak and kidney pie accompanied by crispy chips and a selection of crunchy vegetables. The pie was served in a ceramic bowl with a flaky pastry top, and beneath lay oodles of rich gravy and chunks of melt in your mouth meat. There was too much to eat, but I ate it.

Moving on, we've just returned from a short break in North Yorkshire staying in an old pub come hotel. A characterful building with exposed beams and creaking floorboards, the accommodation was fine, but my dinner a disaster. Wishing to build upon the success of my previous pie meal I ordered the same. 

This time the pie was a small circular piece of pastry of the type that you might find on the shelves of a supermarket, it contained a black stodge with no identifiable pieces of meat. A small gravy boat provided some lubrication, but not enough to enliven the the average chips, while the veg consisted only of peas. My wife had ordered lasagne, and that was Ok and she charitably shared some of her meal with me. I should have complained, but didn't, we won't be visiting that particular establishment again.

I might be going that way later this year. Will you name the pub come hotel as I would not like to stop there either.

Allan

1 hour ago, Allan Bell said:

I might be going that way later this year. Will you name the pub come hotel as I would not like to stop there either.

Allan

Just avoid the pie!

Seriously, there are problems with the supply chain all over the UK and in catering for various reasons and some do seem to be pie-related. I have encountered a poor pie recently,  and on another occasion the promised menu was replaced with (satisfactory but not cordon bleu) chicken and mushroom pie on the day. There's no excuse, but there may be a reason why a caterer has to substitute with something over which they have less control than they might wish.

This could account for the lack of leguminous variety as well.

I would probably be reluctant to call out a place by name for what may be an isolated incident.

Edited by spacecadet

6 hours ago, spacecadet said:

I would probably be reluctant to call out a place by name for what may be an isolated incident.

This often happens on other sites where they are asking for comments on their business. Pubs/restaurants/hotels. Why not on here.

If I was in the same position as Bryan was I would not hesitate to disclose my experience against the business name.

Allan

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

they are asking for comments on their business. Pubs/restaurants/hotels.

Well they're certainly not asking here, and I don't know what sort of sites you're referring to, but more broadly, we don't know the other side of the story, except that the pub wasn't told there was a problem. As I suggested and as we all know businesses are having difficulties- they might have been as unhappy as Bryan was and keen to try to put it right.

Edited by spacecadet

2 hours ago, spacecadet said:

Well they're certainly not asking here, and I don't know what sort of sites you're referring to, but more broadly, we don't know the other side of the story, except that the pub wasn't told there was a problem. As I suggested and as we all know businesses are having difficulties- they might have been as unhappy as Bryan was and keen to try to put it right.

To be honest I feel a tad guilty at not having complained at the time, which would have given them the opportunity to remedy the situation, and, as such, I would not be prepared to name the Hotel on a public forum.   If I could access Allan's e-mail address I would be happy to pass on the name in confidence. 

Incidentally the Merlot was awful as well, possibly the last glasses out of a long previously opened bottle. I should have ordered a beer, as we had shared a very nice pint after returning from a long walk. The following morning I was apprehensive about the (vegetarian) breakfast, but that was OK, with particularly nice mushrooms !

Edited by Bryan
  • Thanks 2

This past Easter weekend my beloved dog Fred passed away in his sleep at the ripe age of 16 1/2.  He was a Labrador/Coonhound cross and a fabulous dog.  My neighbour brought over his backhoe and dug a grave for Freddie so he is buried here on the farm. A sweeter dog you could never have known (unless you were a raccoon). 

Jill

The iPad Pro I ordered from Amazon was a dud. I spent three days doing everything but stand on my head trying to get it to boot up.  I charged it, consulted help pages and tried everything suggested. FedEx will pick it up tomorrow and return it for full refund.

Meanwhile, I bought one from Best Buy today for $50 less and it fired up immediately.

Good to know it wasn’t me not knowing what I was doing, or slipped a cog. This is my third iPad, so it’s not like I didn’t know how.

1 minute ago, Betty LaRue said:

The iPad Pro I ordered from Amazon was a dud. I spent three days doing everything but stand on my head trying to get it to boot up.  I charged it, consulted help pages and tried everything suggested. FedEx will pick it up tomorrow and return it for full refund.

Meanwhile, I bought one from Best Buy today for $50 less and it fired up immediately.

Good to know it wasn’t me not knowing what I was doing, or slipped a cog. This is my third iPad, so it’s not like I didn’t know how.

One reason I like buying local is exchanging and returning is so much easier.  I do trust B&H and Adorama.   You may have been able to get an iPad Pro from either, but Best Buy obviously had the best price.

15 hours ago, Bryan said:

the Merlot was awful

Now you're talking. No excuse for that, if you can't empty a bottle in a day, or vacuvin it overnight, then cook in it or give it to the cat, don't charge £5 or 6 a glass for it!

Name and shame the blighters!

8 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Hi Bryan,  

I leave it to you to translate ().

Allan

NOTE:- This post will be deleted 9pm today.

Hopefully I got the translation right and you have received a message !

1 hour ago, Bryan said:

Hopefully I got the translation right and you have received a message !

Message received thank you.

Hope reply reached you.

Allan

Earlier today still in Yorkshire driving between Settle and Malham and passed around 10 or more very young lambs behind a gate. Most were springing into the air as if on a trampoline, an amazing sight. Camera’s were bagged on the back seat but Unfortunately there was no where to pull over on the single track road. Most miffed.

• Love 1

2 hours ago, sb photos said:

Earlier today still in Yorkshire driving between Settle and Malham and passed around 10 or more very young lambs behind a gate. Most were springing into the air as if on a trampoline, an amazing sight. Camera’s were bagged on the back seat but Unfortunately there was no where to pull over on the single track road. Most miffed.

Been there, done that and have the t-shirt. Only mine was a beautiful landscape, exceptional stormy lighting and like usual, nowhere to pull over. I’ve never forgotten it. Sorry about yours.

I was notified by wim that my photo was initially a "runner up" to the eight finalists he first chose.😃

Allan

Edited by Allan Bell

I had a return visit to my surgeon’s office today. Normally, when put into the exam room, I’m seen within 10 minutes. Well over an hour went by. I brought my kindle and read. I’m usually very patient, having worked for a doctor for 10 years and understand how things happen. But this was exceptionally long. I opened the door and peered up & down the hall to see if there were anyone I could ask whether I just needed to come back another time.

The hallway was empty, so I closed my door, just starting to sit down again when the doctor and nurse rushed in. He apologized for my wait, and explained the patient before me had a brain tumor, so he spent extra time with her.

I told him “Of course, I understand and it was fine.”
My respect for him went up even higher, because he had the sensitivity and caring to give that patient the time she needed and I don’t begrudge it for a moment.

I cried because I had no shoes, until I met a man who had no feet.

Puts thing in perspective.

Edited by Betty LaRue
  • Love 2
  • Like 1

It's often like that with the cancer doctors. Everything stops when they need to give bad news and they spend the time necessary. Like you, I appreciate that.

Paulette

• Love 1
  • Like 1

Accursed slugs devoured my basil seedlings in the greenhouse ! You wouldn't mind it they nibbled a percentage, but, no, they take the lot !

The old effective metaldehyde slug pellets have been banned due to the harm they can cause to birds and other small creatures who eat the slugs.  Mind you, I never used slug pellets in the open, only within the greenhouse, or under netting where the birds and hedgehogs could not get.   

Rumour has it that there is now available a new type of slug pellet that is more environmentally friendly, I must acquire some ASAP. 

• Alamy locked this topic