Post a bad thing that happened in your life today

Ed Rooney

16 hours ago, spacecadet said:

Anyone else remember Bill Werbeniuk, the snooker player? He claimed that lager improved a hand tremor and improved his game, but when he tried to extend that claim to the Inland Revenue as a business expense they were having none of it.

Worth a try? The lager part, not the tax deduction part.

You saying I have hand tremors. That is fighting talk.😀

Allan

20 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

You saying I have hand tremors. That is fighting talk.😀

Allan

:Dwell the image stabilisation has packed up on my A58 so I have to watch out a bit nowadays. Or rather I would if I were taking any pix besides the garden timelapse on a tripod.:(

1 minute ago, spacecadet said:

:Dwell the image stabilisation has packed up on my A58 so I have to watch out a bit nowadays. Or rather I would if I were taking any pix besides the garden timelapse on a tripod.:(

Yes "Image stabilisation" is a good thing to have for us old timers.  We did not have it with our analogue cameras back in the day but I/we were younger then and could hold a heavy combo steady enough to get sharp images.

Allan

Just now, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

Got a quote for a new central heating boiler .....ouch🙃

Carol

It should only be around £1,500 to £2,500 depending on type and size of boiler and that includes installation.

Not bad for something which is going to save money by being more efficient than your old boiler.

Allan

17 hours ago, spacecadet said:

Anyone else remember Bill Werbeniuk, the snooker player? He claimed that lager improved a hand tremor and improved his game, but when he tried to extend that claim to the Inland Revenue as a business expense they were having none of it.

Worth a try? The lager part, not the tax deduction part.

I was once told by a doctor that this does work, a couple of beers or a shot of whiskey. He said if this does steady your hand you can be assured it is age related tremor, if not, then you should be checked for Parkinson's or some other disease related tremors. 

Jerry

8 minutes ago, Jerome Wilson said:

I was once told by a doctor that this does work, a couple of beers or a shot of whiskey. He said if this does steady your hand you can be assured it is age related tremor, if not, then you should be checked for Parkinson's or some other disease related tremors. 

Jerry

Right. That hip-flask is going in my camera bag- you can't be too careful;)

Edited by spacecadet

30 minutes ago, Jerome Wilson said:

Jerry

Around 50 years ago I knew someone my age who used to shoot on his family farm. His father held the firearms certificate but let him use his .22 rifle as long as he stayed on the farm. He used to take a few puffs on a spliff and said it relaxed him so enabled him to hold the rifle more steady, especially when using telescopic rather than open sights. I wouldn’t advise photographers to do the same.

I've had what is called Essential Tremor or Familia Tremor all my life. It's something I had to deal with in playing music and doing photography. Still, IS with higher ISO and noise reduction have replaced the tripod in my life. With Parkinson's, your hand shakes while at rest. 

2 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Don't know Bill Werbeniuk, but I watched Hurricane Higgins play back in the '80s and he was inclined to have a sip or two. I was a fair 9-ball player myself.

Oh Bill left him for dead. Six pints before a match then one per frame allegedly. The six beforehand I don't know about, but the pint per frame- definitely, on live TV.

Edited by spacecadet

I was going to have an early night around 10.30pm, but am only just now about to turn in. All due to our cat Bran. Usually when out he keeps on nipping back for snacks, but not tonight. It was so unusual I began to worry, until he sauntered in about 10 minutes ago. I had noticed it was quite warm out tonight, and when I stroked him he felt warm. Now off to bed 2 hours later than I planned.

On 12/04/2022 at 11:26, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

Got a quote for a new central heating boiler .....ouch🙃

Carol

I believe that, in the UK, no new gas boilers may be installed in new builds after 2025 and in existing properties after 2035. I don't know how this fits with the plan to switch to hydrogen or whether that will ever happen. If we renew our boiler I'll try to source one that is "hydrogen ready". 

We could do with some clarification from the government on this issue, does hydrogen have a future for home heating, and, if so, why are gas boilers being phased out? Our boiler is about 12 years old and is starting to cause problems so we'll have to replace it, or find an alternative solution at some point. I've no appetite for having to completely rejig our heating system to accommodate the lower temperatures that an electrically operated heat pump would provide. A pragmatic approach might be to supply a mix of hydrogen and natural gas, so cutting the emissions of carbon dioxide, but allowing people to continue to use their existing systems for the foreseeable future.

9 hours ago, Bryan said:

I believe that, in the UK, no new gas boilers may be installed in new builds after 2025 and in existing properties after 2035. I don't know how this fits with the plan to switch to hydrogen or whether that will ever happen. If we renew our boiler I'll try to source one that is "hydrogen ready". 

We could do with some clarification from the government on this issue, does hydrogen have a future for home heating, and, if so, why are gas boilers being phased out? Our boiler is about 12 years old and is starting to cause problems so we'll have to replace it, or find an alternative solution at some point. I've no appetite for having to completely rejig our heating system to accommodate the lower temperatures that an electrically operated heat pump would provide. A pragmatic approach might be to supply a mix of hydrogen and natural gas, so cutting the emissions of carbon dioxide, but allowing people to continue to use their existing systems for the foreseeable future.

I was told a little while ago by my gas heating maintenance chappie that there are tests/trials running in the north, (Newcastle area I believe), on the use of natural gas/hydrogen mixes with reference to carbon dioxide reduction. This is so that existing natural gas boilers can still be used with/without major/minor adjustments.

Allan

9 hours ago, Bryan said:

Not so fast.

The main source of hydrogen ATM is.............natural gas. Followed by oil. And coal.

1 hour ago, spacecadet said:

Not so fast.

The main source of hydrogen ATM is.............natural gas. Followed by oil. And coal.

Yes at the moment, but the future probably lies with the electrolysis of water using off peak wind or solar power, and more interestingly, and maybe more promisingly,  by using microbiology.

Suffice to say I have learned quite a lot about boilers this last week or so!  I've also had several quotes.  At present I believe our boiler is called a system boiler i.e., the boiler which is a Vaillant is in the airing cupboard and we also have a separate copper hot water tank also in the airing cupboard.  This has served us well since we had it installed when we moved into the house circa 1997 !  Lately we've had to replace a few parts and we are wondering how much longer it can go on hence the need for a replacement.  A quote from British Gas a 30KW Worcester Bosh boiler was shall we say a bit excessive and the Vaillaint they quoted for when I googled it turned out to be a Combi !

A quote from another company suggested the boiler go in the loft as it would save quite a few £ i.e., the need for less piping etc. Seems like a reasonable idea to me and their quote was very reasonable and they seem very competent and thorough and have very good reviews.

Another company also came to quote but they didn't even want to go into the loft - found that very strange indeed since whether it goes in the loft or not work still has to be carried out in the loft - their quote wasn't bad but not as good as the other one and the fact they didn't want to go into the loft worries me also.

Waiting for a quote from another company also, seemed very efficient indeed.

I was also asked if I wanted to switch to a Combi - no I don't - if it breaks down I will be without heating and hot water and the cost I believe would be similar.

Carol

1 hour ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

I was also asked if I wanted to switch to a Combi - no I don't - if it breaks down I will be without heating and hot water and the cost I believe would be similar.

Carol

Yes we stayed with a conventional boiler and hot water tank when we last changed. Moving to a combi would have meant replumbing part of the system and/or relocating the boiler. One plumber suggested re-siting it in a bedroom - no chance.   We have experience of combis at our son's various dwellings and have been unimpressed with the rate of flow of hot water, whereas our tank based system always provides a reliable strong flow.  Maybe he's been unlucky with his installations, I don't know.

The vast majority of new installations use combis and many heating engineers don't now have experience of tank systems, so that is one drawback.

1 hour ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

Suffice to say I have learned quite a lot about boilers this last week or so!  I've also had several quotes.  At present I believe our boiler is called a system boiler i.e., the boiler which is a Vaillant is in the airing cupboard and we also have a separate copper hot water tank also in the airing cupboard.  This has served us well since we had it installed when we moved into the house circa 1997 !  Lately we've had to replace a few parts and we are wondering how much longer it can go on hence the need for a replacement.  A quote from British Gas a 30KW Worcester Bosh boiler was shall we say a bit excessive and the Vaillaint they quoted for when I googled it turned out to be a Combi !

A quote from another company suggested the boiler go in the loft as it would save quite a few £ i.e., the need for less piping etc. Seems like a reasonable idea to me and their quote was very reasonable and they seem very competent and thorough and have very good reviews.

Another company also came to quote but they didn't even want to go into the loft - found that very strange indeed since whether it goes in the loft or not work still has to be carried out in the loft - their quote wasn't bad but not as good as the other one and the fact they didn't want to go into the loft worries me also.

Waiting for a quote from another company also, seemed very efficient indeed.

Carol

Just a quick heads up on Worcester Bosh boilers. The young lady next door to me where I was living in Cambridge had a new WB boiler fitted and for about six months after the WB engineers were there nearly every week trying to fix some problem or other with it. Not sure what happened in the end.

Also I would be very concerned about putting a gas boiler in the loft. It needs to be readily accessible for maintenance needs and (god forbid) repairs.

The boiler I had at the Cambridge property was an Ideal Classic and it had been in there for at least 20 years with regular annual maintenance and only two or three repairs that I know of.  When I moved to Lincoln the bungalow I moved to also has an Ideal Classic boiler which was installed in 2004 when the bungalow was built and is still going strong with regular maintenance and only one repair that I know of which was while I was in residence.

Also I would never have a combi either.

Allan

Edited by Allan Bell

24 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Also I would be very concerned about putting a gas boiler in the loft. It needs to be readily accessible for maintenance needs and (god forbid) repairs.

Not really a problem per se, we have one in the loft, admittedly the kitchen loft (new extension, single-storey), and it's only a folding ladder away. It does save a lot of space.

The greater issue is that if there's ever a leak, gravity is not on your side. Although a radiator valve is probably more likely to fail, DAMHIK😐

If you're not set on a replacement, boiler parts tend to remain available for a long time. They're certainly still available for our 2003 one. I replaced a circuit board about 10 years ago and they're still around. Ditto the gas valve. Just google your model number. Not many things wear out.

Edited by spacecadet

34 minutes ago, Bryan said:

Yes we stayed with a conventional boiler and hot water tank when we last changed. Moving to a combi would have meant replumbing part of the system and/or relocating the boiler. One plumber suggested re-siting it in a bedroom - no chance.   We have experience of combis at our son's various dwellings and have been unimpressed with the rate of flow of hot water, whereas our tank based system always provides a reliable strong flow.  Maybe he's been unlucky with his installations, I don't know.

The vast majority of new installations use combis and many heating engineers don't now have experience of tank systems, so that is one drawback.

We had our old boiler replaced by a Valiant around 10 years ago. No problems other than making an adjustment if the water pressure to our house fell and of course the cost of gas.

• Alamy locked this topic