Post a bad thing that happened in your life today

Ed Rooney

Yesterday I had a bad fall on super sharp rocks. My leg is cut, hip, bum and hand are very bruised. I was about to launch my drone over cliffs when I slipped in the mud. I dropped my tablet and the controller. All still working but very muddy.

55 minutes ago, gvallee said:

Yesterday I had a bad fall on super sharp rocks. My leg is cut, hip, bum and hand are very bruised. I was about to launch my drone over cliffs when I slipped in the mud. I dropped my tablet and the controller. All still working but very muddy.

Ouch!  You’ll be sore for awhile. I hope the cut isn’t too bad, I can’t imagine you are in a place where you could get stitches.

• Love 1

44 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

Ouch!  You’ll be sore for awhile. I hope the cut isn’t too bad, I can’t imagine you are in a place where you could get stitches.

Yes, feeling battered this morning. Luckily they are only superficial cuts. I am 850km away from a significant town and 3 hours' drive from a tiny one. The only coastal road re-opened yesterday. Driving through flooded patches of orange mud was interesting.

I am now recovering in a remote Aboriginal campsite in the sand dunes along the turquoise waters of a wonderful reef. The access was quite tricky too, glad we have 4WD. Till the end, I wouldn't have vouched we would get there. It took 1/2h to cover 9km. Gorgeous wilderness out here. Love it so much!

Edited by gvallee

Oh my. I bet you handled it better than a woman I saw yesterday who fell in the street. I don't know why she fell but she burst into tears and a couple of really nice guys got her up and siting on the curb. One guy called her husband for her. She had scraped her cheek but I had a hard time understanding her extreme reaction. She was really sobbing. I have fallen a few times in the city and seem to have a gift for giving myself a black eye. One good thing about NYC is there are always people around and so many of them are kind and helpful. One time a woman brought a chair out from her workplace and stayed with me until EMTs arrived. I got a slow drive in an ambulance, a cat scan of my head and a few stitches above my eye. Trying VERY hard these days to stay on my feet.

Paulette

Edited by NYCat

1 hour ago, gvallee said:

Sorry about the fall Gen, and glad to know the cut isn’t too deep.  We seem to be an accident prone bunch, here on this forum.  But if you are not out doing stuff, it’s harder to get hurt.  Also glad you didn’t go over the cliff!!

• Love 1

25 minutes ago, NYCat said:

Oh my. I bet you handled it better than a woman I saw yesterday who fell in the street. I don't know why she fell but she burst into tears and a couple of really nice guys got her up and siting on the curb. One guy called her husband for her. She had scraped her cheek but I had a hard time understanding her extreme reaction. She was really sobbing. I have fallen a few times in the city and seem to have a gift for giving myself a black eye. One good thing about NYC is there are always people around and so many of them are kind and helpful. One time a woman brought a chair out from her workplace and stayed with me until EMTs arrived. I got a slow drive in an ambulance, a cat scan of my head and a few stitches above my eye. Trying VERY hard these days to stay on my feet.

Paulette

People are really helpful, it's heart warming. In my case it made me feel really awful. One tourist car arrived when we were there. Our vehicle always attracts much attention from the outdoor people. This time was no exception and this man was keen to have a chat about it. I was getting ready to head towards the cliffs with my drone and had to excuse us saying I didn't have much battery in the drone, sorry we have to rush. That's when I slipped. He rushed to help, oh my God, oh my God, are you alright? My problem was that I was carrying the drone equipment, so couldn't take the walking stick I've been using recently as help to a bothersome knee. I was actually wearing a knee brace, which must have made the fall look even more dramatic. I was lying in a pool of mud, not moving, busy feeling every bone against the rocks. I knew I was alright but it was not pleasant. As additional bad news, I was told for the second time that I need a new knee but I would need to stay in the same location for 6 months. What is a rolling stone to do? I'll try other things first and see if it works. If not, well I'll have to go through the op.

Edited by gvallee

3 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

Sorry about the fall Gen, and glad to know the cut isn’t too deep.  We seem to be an accident prone bunch, here on this forum.  But if you are not out doing stuff, it’s harder to get hurt.  Also glad you didn’t go over the cliff!!

Thank you Michael. I'm about to edit the pics of the cliffs. Stunning location! 

I’ve been walking around the house without a cane for a few days. If I don’t hunch over like an old lady, which I was in the habit of doing when my back was so bad before surgery, I tend to be unsteady a bit when trying to walk with a straight back and shoulders back. It’s hard to unlearn the habits I got into before surgery.

This morning, I went into the street with my son, lightly holding onto his thumb. Since I was trying to achieve good posture, I needed him to steady me. I walked a block and back, longer than I could think of walking pre-op.

In spite of my unsteadiness, I haven’t fallen.

I must say I’ve had a close call a couple of times. Once I tripped over the turned sideways wheel of my walker, weeks ago, and caught myself on my dresser. Another time, caught myself on a chair. I do have quick reflexes. Somebody is watching over me, because I could have undone my surgery. The neighbor across the street had my kind of back surgery, fell, and had to go under the knife again.

I’m limited in how much I can do on my feet, or I get into a fair amount of pain. I made the mistake of making a potato salad after my walk, and it was too much.

• Love 2

1 hour ago, Betty LaRue said:

I’ve been walking around the house without a cane for a few days. If I don’t hunch over like an old lady, which I was in the habit of doing when my back was so bad before surgery, I tend to be unsteady a bit when trying to walk with a straight back and shoulders back. It’s hard to unlearn the habits I got into before surgery.

This morning, I went into the street with my son, lightly holding onto his thumb. Since I was trying to achieve good posture, I needed him to steady me. I walked a block and back, longer than I could think of walking pre-op.

I must say I’ve had a close call a couple of times. Once I tripped over the turned sideways wheel of my walker, weeks ago, and caught myself on my dresser. Another time, caught myself on a chair. I do have quick reflexes. Somebody is watching over me, because I could have undone my surgery. The neighbor across the street had my kind of back surgery, fell, and had to go under the knife again.

I’m limited in how much I can do on my feet, or I get into a fair amount of pain. I made the mistake of making a potato salad after my walk, and it was too much.

As Edo would say, poco a poco. I'm glad you're making good progress Betty. 

4 hours ago, Normspics said:

Still wearing masks washing hands avoiding restaurants and crowds anti social behaviour becoming quite natural after two years. Lol

Same here. Have eaten out once recently in a Suffolk village pub. Checked it out early evening a day earlier. When we ate there were 2 other couples present, and we were all sitting in the corners of the bar. Nice meal, but we won't be making a habit of it. We were staying 4 nights away airbnb, and we always choose self contained with our own cooking facilities. In the open I fairly regularly shoot crowds, but not as close up as I used to. I avoid London's tube trains, and use mainline trains at quieter times, and wear FFP3 masks held on via straps behind the head for those journeys, and FFP2 masks when shopping. So far I've avoided Covid.

7 hours ago, gvallee said:

Here's what I fell on. Sharp innit?

Goodgrief, Gen! I hope you have Wellies in that terrain. I won't offer you anymore useless couldawouldashoulda. I have trouble navigating the uneven sidewalk walking down Stanley Street to M&S Foodhall. 

• Love 1

9 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Goodgrief, Gen! I hope you have Wellies in that terrain. I won't offer you anymore useless couldawouldashoulda. I have trouble navigating the uneven sidewalk walking down Stanley Street to M&S Foodhall. 

I had been there before. It's usually a little tricky but this time, I had two handicaps: my dodgy knee plus it had been pouring down with rain for a week. There were those innocent looking mud pools in between solid rock. I put my left foot in it, sank and slipped. When I lifted my foot, it weighed a ton! I had to use our outside shower on our motorhome to get rid of the sticky mud.

10 hours ago, gvallee said:

Sorry to hear of your accident. Hope you get well sone.

Allan

1 minute ago, Allan Bell said:

Sorry to hear of your accident. Hope you get well sone.

Allan

Thank you Allan. That tough old cow is on the mend already. Ready for the next misadventure.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, gvallee said:

Thank you Allan. That tough old cow is on the mend already. Ready for the next misadventure.

Hey less of the old.😉

Allan

28 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Just think, Gen -- if you had stuck to your roots, the most dangerous thing you might do is try for a good table outside Les Deux Magots. 

4 days ago Edo, I celebrated again the most important date in my life: 37 years away from France. I lived most of my life away from my country. And I'm writing here today camped in sand dunes along the most scenic coral reef in the world, Unesco Heritage listed. I live a life of total freedom. The equivalent in France? Ha ha ha ha. Do you think I got it wrong?

Edited by gvallee

10 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

That sounds like lots of progress! I have also needed to adjust my posture to help my arthritic foot and walk a little differently. It is surprisingly difficult.

Paulette

Paulette

• Love 1

4 hours ago, gvallee said:

4 days ago Edo, I celebrated again the most important date in my life: 37 years away from France. I lived most of my life away from my country. And I'm writing here today camped in sand dunes along the most scenic coral reef in the world, Unesco Heritage listed. I live a life of total freedom. The equivalent in France? Ha ha ha ha. Do you think I got it wrong?

Your fall makes me think of one of mine, years ago. We were still living in northern Oklahoma where we raised our kids. My oldest daughter was married, but she and I shared our love of fishing. We had gone to the river below the dam of Kaw lake to fish. It got dark, and we left. The banks of the river had huge boulders to keep the banks stable from floods. We had to walk on top of these boulders back to the parking area. 
I was ahead of Debbie. I had a folding fishing stool over my elbow, along with my purse (yes, I thought my purse always had to be with me). I had a small bucket of dirt with worms, and my rod & reel. Also a flashlight. We had to occasionally jump from Boulder to Boulder, with deep chasms between. I lost my balance, and fell into one of those chasms, about a 5-6 foot fall. I think I gasped and squealed as I fell into the totally black space, that to me felt 30 feet deep. I had no idea whether smaller sharp rocks were below, or whether my head would hit on something bad.

There was a loud clatter of the things I held. I hit soft ground. I lay there taking stock, and other than the breath being knocked out of me, I was good. I never dropped one thing, it was all still tightly gripped.

My daughter heard it all, saw my light disappear and began screaming, “Mom, Mom!”

I was still catching my breath when she shined her light down, and I was able to reassure her. What luck I had. That was my most dangerous fall ever, other than when I bailed out of the ski lift chair after it had risen 10 feet.

Another story. Thank God for deep snow when I face planted. I didn’t drop my ski poles then, either.

• Love 1

• Alamy locked this topic