Post a bad thing that happened in your life today

Ed Rooney

8 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Regarding solar panels, and I know they are good for the planet. When I have investigated installation costs and upheaval costs the return is not enough to repay the capital outlay within the estimated stay at the property. I certainly would not do it for the following tenant to gain from my expense.

Allan

The deal has changed significantly Allan, when we had ours installed the government was wishing to encourage house owners to install solar panels and were offering a very reasonable return, paying tax free cash for every electrical unit generated.  In fact ours paid for themselves in around 8 years and are now providing a return of about 12%, and that doesn't include the savings on our electricity bill.  Things move on, that deal is no longer available, but I believe that  the installation costs are now quite a bit lower, while adding a used electric car battery to the system would mean that electricity generated during the day can be used in the evenings.

It would be useful if you get a hold of realistic data on the costs and savings of all of these green energy developments, for example we are considering insulating one of our external walls by adding a 50 mm layer of Kingspan or similar to the inner face. Is it worth the cost and hassle, I don't know ........

Edited by Bryan

I think I'm coming down with shingles. I had chickenpox as a kid, I'm in the right age range, and one of my late parents had a symptomatic case, so I've been expecting it to happen sooner or later. A possible alternative is the monkey pox that's going around, but I can't think of where I would have been exposed.

1 hour ago, DJ Myford said:

I think I'm coming down with shingles. I had chickenpox as a kid, I'm in the right age range, and one of my late parents had a symptomatic case, so I've been expecting it to happen sooner or later. A possible alternative is the monkey pox that's going around, but I can't think of where I would have been exposed.

Crazy enough, me too!  My doctor diagnosed it yesterday and put me on a pill regimen of Acyclovir (could be made in other names), I take one pill five times a day.  I was vaccinated late last year, for Shingles, and yet I got it.  I read that is not uncommon to have breakthrough cases after being vaccinated but the good thing is that the severity of the virus should be much less.  My rash is on my back, middle torso, right side.  My father had it in the same place years before the vaccine and he was absolutely miserable!! I don't think I ever saw him so uncomfortable.  I am four days in with my rash and it has, so far, been fairly manageable.  Pain and itchiness is there but not overwhelming.  Did you get a vaccination for Shingles?

Some say it can be brought on by stress and last week was a very stressful week for me.  I had twelve magazine portrait shoots in just 4 days, last week, and my daughter has been moving back in with me.  She is taking over the whole downstairs (basement) and so I had to move my office into her old bedroom.  The good news is that she is paying me rent for the space...before anyone thinks that is crazy, she is 27 and makes WAY more money than I can ever dream of.   Even when she heads off as a travel nurse, this fall, she will continue to pay me for the space!  I mean she was about to put everything of hers into storage, so this is better for her.  Sorry, I drifted off topic...must be the Shingles.   

Where is your potential Shingles on you?  I hope it doesn't get too bad!  Get medication ASAP!

Edited by Michael Ventura
  • Love 2

Quickly go to your doctor DJ. The treatments work if done within the first 72 hours. So sorry to hear about your case, Michael. I had a very small area and got right to my doctor. The drug he gave me worked.

Paulette

• Love 2

I had shingles only diagnosed after 2 weeks. I was flat on my back for two days. I couldn't even lift my little finger. Didn't move at all. Luckily, you nipped yours in the bud with an early diagnostic. Feel better soon DJ and Michael.

• Love 1

Thanks everyone. It's on my right side, back below the shoulder blade, so sounds similar to Michael's. Just glad it isn't around the eyes/ears. I'm not vaccinated, as the NHS only routinely offers it to those in their 70s, so I might be out of action for a few days. Michael, hope yours doesn't get any worse either.

2 hours ago, DJ Myford said:

Thanks everyone. It's on my right side, back below the shoulder blade, so sounds similar to Michael's. Just glad it isn't around the eyes/ears. I'm not vaccinated, as the NHS only routinely offers it to those in their 70s, so I might be out of action for a few days. Michael, hope yours doesn't get any worse either.

Oh boy, I hope you can get started on a medication quickly, that should help!  In the U.S., doctors strongly encourage people over 50, who had chickenpox, to get the vaccine.  I still got Shingles though, but hopefully the worst of it will be within these next few days.  Lucky for me, I have no assignments this week!

I was fortunate to get the medication right at the beginning and my small patch disappeared within days. I'm sure it will help even if you have waited. As you mentioned it can be really dangerous around the eyes.

Paulette

On 13/06/2022 at 12:31, Bryan said:

The deal has changed significantly Allan, when we had ours installed the government was wishing to encourage house owners to install solar panels and were offering a very reasonable return, paying tax free cash for every electrical unit generated.  In fact ours paid for themselves in around 8 years and are now providing a return of about 12%, and that doesn't include the savings on our electricity bill.  Things move on, that deal is no longer available, but I believe that  the installation costs are now quite a bit lower, while adding a used electric car battery to the system would mean that electricity generated during the day can be used in the evenings.

It would be useful if you get a hold of realistic data on the costs and savings of all of these green energy developments, for example we are considering insulating one of our external walls by adding a 50 mm layer of Kingspan or similar to the inner face. Is it worth the cost and hassle, I don't know ........

Well I investigated and it now takes 18 to 24 years to recover capital outlay.

Allan

3 hours ago, DJ Myford said:

I was over 70 when it was offered to me. After checking with the practice nurse she told me the anti shingles injection can bring on an attack.

No thanks not wanting to get shingles whilst looking after someone who was in a very poor way.

Allan

8 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Well I investigated and it now takes 18 to 24 years to recover capital outlay.

Allan

Now, yes. The early very high feed-in tariffs were an incentive.

You know that 8% environmental levy on your energy bills? That's what's paying Bryan- he's getting far more than the market price for the electricity he sells to the grid. Of course, in exchange he is producing CO2-free energy.

Edited by spacecadet

2 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

I was over 70 when it was offered to me. After checking with the practice nurse she told me the anti shingles injection can bring on an attack.

No thanks not wanting to get shingles whilst looking after someone who was in a very poor way.

Allan

I can remember someone I worked with back in the early 90’s who had shingles. He had a cream to rub in. He was petrified as someone had told him if the spots on his body increased and eventually joined up around his waist it could be very bad.

If I was offered the vaccine I would think very carefully before deciding how beneficial it would be. I had chicken pox as a child, but I suspect any antibodies from then could have reduced to zilch.

Edited by sb photos

Certainly a personal choice about whether to get the vaccine. I would recommend if you think you have shingles go immediately for treatment because the timing is important for the meds to work to maximum effect. We are lucky that there is an effective treatment.

Paulette

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, NYCat said:

Certainly a personal choice about whether to get the vaccine. I would recommend if you think you have shingles go immediately for treatment because the timing is important for the meds to work to maximum effect. We are lucky that there is an effective treatment.

Paulette

If ever thought I had shingles I certainly would contact our NHS. I doubt my GP would intervene in time. At my surgery just to speak to a doctor takes around 4 weeks for a call back. I once waited 5 weeks to query a new medication where the information supplied with it said my GP should have gone through the potential side effects with me, she never did.

Edited by sb photos

I got the vaccine a couple of years ago with no ill effects. I saw my mother suffer with shingles, and the pain she had was horrible. She was forced to wear a loose duster because she couldn’t stand her underwear or any outer clothes around her waist. Even after she recovered from the blisters, the nerve pain continued for a long time.

I was suffering from systemic Candida infections for about 5 years up until my husband died. The infections were stress related from taking care of him while he acted out from dementia. The worst of these infections were that they attacked my whole respiratory system, especially my lungs and my blood oxygen fell dangerously low.

Stress can whack your immune system and open you up to a lot of opportunistic illnesses.

Once my husband passed, I had a few more but they were much milder and the meds took care of them. Now the infections are gone. I kind of expected to get one after my back surgery, but never did, luckily, because the anesthesia caused a partial collapse of one lung.

I’ve talked to quite a few who got the vaccine, and none of them got infected after. It’s probably rare to do that. Michael, you rare thing, you! 🙂

DJ and Michael, I hope you recover quickly.

• Love 2

Thunderstorms! So it looks like I won't be checking on the baby robins until I get back home late this afternoon. Glad the nest is under a bunch of fire escapes.

Paulette

The storm was brief so I was able to go out and get some shots of the fledgling. He can't quite fly yet. Failed to get up to a ledge just about a foot above him. Fortunately his mom is looking after him. She doesn't like me so I have to make myself scarce so she can feed him. The other three are still in the nest.

Paulette

• Like 1

On 16/06/2022 at 15:15, NYCat said:

The storm was brief so I was able to go out and get some shots of the fledgling. He can't quite fly yet. Failed to get up to a ledge just about a foot above him. Fortunately his mom is looking after him. She doesn't like me so I have to make myself scarce so she can feed him. The other three are still in the nest.

Paulette

We have blackbirds nesting in the garden and predatory magpies surveying the scene. I have to tell myself not to get involved, nature must take its course ! 

Meanwhile we could use some of your rainwater, we've not seen rain for a few weeks now and the garden is beginning to suffer. 

2 hours ago, Bryan said:

We have blackbirds nesting in the garden and predatory magpies surveying the scene. I have to tell myself not to get involved, nature must take its course ! 

Meanwhile we could use some of your rainwater, we've not seen rain for a few weeks now and the garden is beginning to suffer. 

Hang on to your rainwater you may need it for bathing.😉

Allan 

On 15/06/2022 at 04:00, DJ Myford said:

DJ, Just checking in to see how you are managing with your Shingles.  Even with the vaccine and medication, mine has been no fun, to say the least, but at least I was able to go about my business and daily life without too much of a road block.  After one week, I am on the mend, for sure, but still pretty itchy.  Compared to what my father went through, I guess I can count myself as lucky!

• Love 2

Don't have shingles, thank heaven, but I'm in York this week and suffering from hay fever (grass pollen) on top of my asthma. My wheezing is so load it kept me awake last night. 

York is a lovely old Roman town but I hope to get out of here tomorrow before the rail strike begins. 

Edited by Ed Rooney

• Alamy locked this topic