Post a bad thing that happened in your life today

Ed Rooney

41 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Don't have shingles, thank heaven, but I'm in York this week and suffering from hay fever (grass pollen) on top of my asthma. My wheezing is so load it kept me awake last night. 

York is a lovely old Roman town but I hope to get out of here tomorrow before the rail strike begins. 

Hope you weren't too tired to get more good images.

Allan

Good energy relies on a good blood flow and oxygen. So even without enough sleep, I've not been fit for a normal shoot. Friday, when you were here we had good light and I soldered on. It was cooler yesterday and today but the days were mostly grey. 

I need a vacation from this vacation. 😟

• Love 1

23 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

DJ, Just checking in to see how you are managing with your Shingles.  Even with the vaccine and medication, mine has been no fun, to say the least, but at least I was able to go about my business and daily life without too much of a road block.  After one week, I am on the mend, for sure, but still pretty itchy.  Compared to what my father went through, I guess I can count myself as lucky!

One day was quite bad, and sleeping has been an issue, but it hasn't spread and seems to be resolving as it should, so now it's really a case of how long the discomfort persists. Good to hear that yours didn't get too severe.

Edit: The pharmacist also suggested high-dose B12 and zinc tablets, as they may shorten the recovery period and help to minimise any lasting effects. May not help, but I'm taking them anyway.

Edited by DJ Myford

4 hours ago, DJ Myford said:

One day was quite bad, and sleeping has been an issue, but it hasn't spread and seems to be resolving as it should, so now it's really a case of how long the discomfort persists. Good to hear that yours didn't get too severe.

I was just reading that Shingles doesn't spread (on you) though you can get a small patch somewhere else on your body, but generally stays localized to the area where it started.  I have a very small patch of it on my right forearm.  Hopefully we are both through the worst of it!

On 19/06/2022 at 16:24, Ed Rooney said:

Don't have shingles, thank heaven, but I'm in York this week and suffering from hay fever (grass pollen) on top of my asthma. My wheezing is so load it kept me awake last night. 

York is a lovely old Roman town but I hope to get out of here tomorrow before the rail strike begins. 

Ah a fellow sufferer. Mine has got slightly better as I have got older but sadly not gone completely. Last week we cycled around Carsington Water and my eyes were giving trouble, the trick is not to rub them, no matter the temptation.  When I was younger it always seemed to strike at exam time, at least I don't have that worry any more !

I have tried using a Beconase inhaler but that seemed to give me severe headaches, the cure was worse than the disease.

Trust you enjoyed York Edo, one of my favourite cities. The railway museum might have provided a sanctuary from the pollen ? 

We've just had a new central heating boiler installed, which I guess is a good thing, but yesterday the 37 year old CH controller failed, so the boiler isn't working.

In years gone by I would have sourced and installed a replacement myself, but life is too short and my eyesight not what it was etc, so I've asked our trusty gas fitter to do the business.  Meanwhile we're grateful for our solar panels, an electric shower and immersion heater.  Just as well it isn't winter.

16 minutes ago, Bryan said:

but yesterday the 37 year old CH controller failed

We've probably got the same model, ours doesn't time CH & HW separately and I have thought about replacing it for one that does, should be more economical which has suddenly got a lot more important. A veritable rat's nest of wiring from those controllers though.

7 hours ago, Harry Harrison said:

We've probably got the same model, ours doesn't time CH & HW separately and I have thought about replacing it for one that does, should be more economical which has suddenly got a lot more important. A veritable rat's nest of wiring from those controllers though.

This one does have separate CH and HW controls, can't complain too bitterly its had a fair innings.  Made by Grasslin, not sure if you can still get them.

Edited by Bryan

31 minutes ago, Bryan said:

This one does have separate CH and HW controls, can't complain too bitterly it's had a fair innings.  Made by Grasslin, not sure if you can still get them.

I replaced ours with the same make, newer model, so the pin-out was the same and it just plugged in... with a bit of hacksaw fettling. Only about 22 years old though. You could google the model number just for a laugh. Plenty of Grässlins about and the company alive and well AFAICS.

Edited by spacecadet

5 hours ago, spacecadet said:

I replaced ours with the same make, newer model, so the pin-out was the same and it just plugged in... with a bit of hacksaw fettling. Only about 22 years old though. You could google the model number just for a laugh. Plenty of Grässlins about and the company alive and well AFAICS.

My friendly gas fitter arrived on the scene this morning and fitted a new Siemens controller - and then refused to take any payment !  I guess he made enough installing the new boiler.

Edited by Bryan

7 hours ago, Bryan said:

My friendly gas fitter arrived on the scene this morning and fitted a new Siemens controller - and then refused to take any payment !  I guess he made enough installing the new boiler.

Sounds like a positive in your life 🙃

4 hours ago, Steve F said:

Sounds like a positive in your life 🙃

Yes indeed Steve. Actually we were on a bus headed for the town when I received a call from the plumber saying that he was at our house, so we disembarked at the next stop and caught a bus back. He was patiently waiting !  It turned out that he was intending to leave for his family holiday the next day and he wanted to clear up unfinished business.

• Love 1

We filled up our motorhome with diesel today. I know we have an extended range fuel tank but....

A$404 or

£ 228 or
US$ 276

This will last 800km. Joe Blogg's backyard in Oz.

Boo hoo!!!! 

On 05/07/2022 at 08:14, gvallee said:

We filled up our motorhome with diesel today. I know we have an extended range fuel tank but....

A$404 or

£ 228 or
US$ 276

This will last 800km. Joe Blogg's backyard in Oz.

Boo hoo!!!! 

Oh dear, not great.

We are currently paying 199.9 p per litre of diesel, so I have taken to driving at truck speed (60 mph) on the motorways It's actually a relatively stress free means of travel, sitting in the inside lane and not much overtaking to do,  and we get near to 70 mpg. 

I hope that you are not affected by the flooding ?

Edited by Bryan

2 hours ago, Bryan said:

Oh dear, not great.

We are currently paying 199.9 p per gallon of diesel, so I have taken to driving at truck speed (60 mph) on the motorways It's actually a relatively stress free means of travel, sitting in the inside lane and not much overtaking to do,  and we get near to 70 mpg. 

I hope that you are not affected by the flooding ?

You must not be the only one slowing down to save fuel Bryan. Here in Oz, it's more difficult. Away from big cities, roads are mostly one lane in each direction, even the main 'highways'. We have to share them with endless trucks on tight schedule. They are not the most patient. How will this affect our travel? I guess we'll have to do more house/farm sittings to reduce the miles, which is a pleasure and had always been the plan anyway. We have a big trip coming up in September, several thousand kms, after that we'll see.

Luckily, we're not in the floods region. Poor people, some had their house flooded 4 times in 3 months. We're basking in 28C winter temperature in the Top End, near Darwin. 

7 hours ago, spacecadet said:

Litre.

Unless you're distilling your own out of fermented leeks on the allotment.😉

Sounds a good scheme to me.  However yes it should be per litre !  One is getting on 🙃

I'll change it.

I seem to recall paying something like 5s and 11d per gallon when I was a lad, but then a pint of Fed special cost 1s 11d and Fed ordinary 1s 7d, Newcastle Brown was something weird like 2 s 7.5 p.

Edited by Bryan

15 hours ago, Bryan said:

Sounds a good scheme to me.  However yes it should be per litre !  One is getting on 🙃

I'll change it.

I seem to recall paying something like 5s and 11d per gallon when I was a lad, but then a pint of Fed special cost 1s 11d and Fed ordinary 1s 7d, Newcastle Brown was something weird like 2 s 7.5 p.

From my college archive. A gallon in late 1979. So about 25p/litre.

FX6EWT.jpg

With the Morris Minor in the 80s I used to have half a tank of 4-star and half a tank of 2. The man at the pumps said that made 3-star.

I used to have Newky Brown at lodge festive boards until the club got draught 1664. Mmm.

Edited by spacecadet

16 hours ago, Bryan said:

I'll change it.

When I started driving petrol was 4s 11d a gallon.  Equivalent inflation price today would be £4.

Allan

9 minutes ago, aphperspective said:

Despite having all the shots and boosters (4) in total still tested positive for Covid this morning.😒

Oh no. Take care of yourself. There are meds these days that should shorten your time of woe.

Paulette

9 minutes ago, NYCat said:

Oh no. Take care of yourself. There are meds these days that should shorten your time of woe.

Paulette

Thanks Paulette Paracetamol helps with the fever and head aches, strong coffee for the rest.

Andy

11 hours ago, aphperspective said:

Despite having all the shots and boosters (4) in total still tested positive for Covid this morning.😒

Sorry to hear, hope you get over it OK. So far I've avoided Covid, although through practicalities last Tuesday I took a tube masked from Baker Street to Bow Road. I had been avoiding the tube since Covid, walking everywhere in London. I still clocked up 13.8km walking that day though, something pre Covid I never did. Am fully vaccinated myself.

2 hours ago, sb photos said:

Sorry to hear, hope you get over it OK. So far I've avoided Covid, although through practicalities last Tuesday I took a tube masked from Baker Street to Bow Road. I had been avoiding the tube since Covid, walking everywhere in London. I still clocked up 13.8km walking that day though, something pre Covid I never did. Am fully vaccinated myself.

My chemist told me it's everywhere in Ireland and this variant is so easily transmitted, basically pot luck about catching it. I to was fully vaccinated and all boosters done.  

1 hour ago, aphperspective said:

My chemist told me it's everywhere in Ireland and this variant is so easily transmitted, basically pot luck about catching it. I to was fully vaccinated and all boosters done.  

It's absolutely rampant in Great Britain as well although you would not think so as amost nobody is wearing masks any more. The vaccines appear to be a lot less effective against Omicron variants in general. The reliable scientific evidence from earlier this year is that the main Omicron variants at that time were less likely to cause severe respiratory problems, so far fewer people ending up in hospital. However, it appears that the latest Omicron variants may be more likely to affect the lungs than earlier Omicron variants. My advice from personal experience (with Delta, so far I've avoided Omicron) and particularly for anyone with pre-existing lung conditions, is to get hold of a good pulse oximeter and check oxygen levels regularly. Having one of these probably saved me getting permanent brain damage or even death from low oxygen levels. 

And it's not just about the acute phase of Covid. The chances of developing Long Covid are about halved with earlier Omicron variants compared to earlier variants but, because of the vastly increased number of cases, it is still a major issue - seemingly reliable estimates suggest that around 2 million people are experiencing Long Covid now in the UK which is an incredible figure. 

Edited by MDM

• Alamy locked this topic