Jump to content

Post a bad thing that happened in your life today


Ed Rooney
 Share

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

 

Don't have shingles, thank heaven, but I'm in York this week and suffering from hay fever (grass pollen) on top of my asthma. My wheezing is so load it kept me awake last night. 

 

York is a lovely old Roman town but I hope to get out of here tomorrow before the rail strike begins. 

 

Edited by Ed Rooney
Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

 

Don't have shingles, thank heaven, but I'm in York this week and suffering from hay fever (grass pollen) on top of my asthma. My wheezing is so load it kept me awake last night. 

 

York is a lovely old Roman town but I hope to get out of here tomorrow before the rail strike begins. 

 

 

Hope you weren't too tired to get more good images.

 

Allan

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

Good energy relies on a good blood flow and oxygen. So even without enough sleep, I've not been fit for a normal shoot. Friday, when you were here we had good light and I soldered on. It was cooler yesterday and today but the days were mostly grey. 

 

I need a vacation from this vacation. 😟

  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

 

DJ, Just checking in to see how you are managing with your Shingles.  Even with the vaccine and medication, mine has been no fun, to say the least, but at least I was able to go about my business and daily life without too much of a road block.  After one week, I am on the mend, for sure, but still pretty itchy.  Compared to what my father went through, I guess I can count myself as lucky!

One day was quite bad, and sleeping has been an issue, but it hasn't spread and seems to be resolving as it should, so now it's really a case of how long the discomfort persists. Good to hear that yours didn't get too severe.

Edit: The pharmacist also suggested high-dose B12 and zinc tablets, as they may shorten the recovery period and help to minimise any lasting effects. May not help, but I'm taking them anyway.

Edited by DJ Myford
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, DJ Myford said:

One day was quite bad, and sleeping has been an issue, but it hasn't spread and seems to be resolving as it should, so now it's really a case of how long the discomfort persists. Good to hear that yours didn't get too severe.

 

I was just reading that Shingles doesn't spread (on you) though you can get a small patch somewhere else on your body, but generally stays localized to the area where it started.  I have a very small patch of it on my right forearm.  Hopefully we are both through the worst of it!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 19/06/2022 at 16:24, Ed Rooney said:

 

Don't have shingles, thank heaven, but I'm in York this week and suffering from hay fever (grass pollen) on top of my asthma. My wheezing is so load it kept me awake last night. 

 

York is a lovely old Roman town but I hope to get out of here tomorrow before the rail strike begins. 

 

Ah a fellow sufferer. Mine has got slightly better as I have got older but sadly not gone completely. Last week we cycled around Carsington Water and my eyes were giving trouble, the trick is not to rub them, no matter the temptation.  When I was younger it always seemed to strike at exam time, at least I don't have that worry any more !

 

I have tried using a Beconase inhaler but that seemed to give me severe headaches, the cure was worse than the disease.

 

Trust you enjoyed York Edo, one of my favourite cities. The railway museum might have provided a sanctuary from the pollen ? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We've just had a new central heating boiler installed, which I guess is a good thing, but yesterday the 37 year old CH controller failed, so the boiler isn't working.

 

In years gone by I would have sourced and installed a replacement myself, but life is too short and my eyesight not what it was etc, so I've asked our trusty gas fitter to do the business.  Meanwhile we're grateful for our solar panels, an electric shower and immersion heater.  Just as well it isn't winter.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Bryan said:

but yesterday the 37 year old CH controller failed

We've probably got the same model, ours doesn't time CH & HW separately and I have thought about replacing it for one that does, should be more economical which has suddenly got a lot more important. A veritable rat's nest of wiring from those controllers though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Harry Harrison said:

We've probably got the same model, ours doesn't time CH & HW separately and I have thought about replacing it for one that does, should be more economical which has suddenly got a lot more important. A veritable rat's nest of wiring from those controllers though.

This one does have separate CH and HW controls, can't complain too bitterly its had a fair innings.  Made by Grasslin, not sure if you can still get them.

Edited by Bryan
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, Bryan said:

This one does have separate CH and HW controls, can't complain too bitterly it's had a fair innings.  Made by Grasslin, not sure if you can still get them.

I replaced ours with the same make, newer model, so the pin-out was the same and it just plugged in... with a bit of hacksaw fettling. Only about 22 years old though. You could google the model number just for a laugh. Plenty of Grässlins about and the company alive and well AFAICS.

 

Edited by spacecadet
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, spacecadet said:

I replaced ours with the same make, newer model, so the pin-out was the same and it just plugged in... with a bit of hacksaw fettling. Only about 22 years old though. You could google the model number just for a laugh. Plenty of Grässlins about and the company alive and well AFAICS.

 

My friendly gas fitter arrived on the scene this morning and fitted a new Siemens controller - and then refused to take any payment !  I guess he made enough installing the new boiler.

Edited by Bryan
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Bryan said:

My friendly gas fitter arrived on the scene this morning and fitted a new Siemens controller - and then refused to take any payment !  I guess he made enough installing the new boiler.

 

Sounds like a positive in your life 🙃

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Steve F said:

 

Sounds like a positive in your life 🙃

Yes indeed Steve. Actually we were on a bus headed for the town when I received a call from the plumber saying that he was at our house, so we disembarked at the next stop and caught a bus back. He was patiently waiting !  It turned out that he was intending to leave for his family holiday the next day and he wanted to clear up unfinished business.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We filled up our motorhome with diesel today. I know we have an extended range fuel tank but....

A$404 or

£ 228 or
US$ 276

 

This will last 800km. Joe Blogg's backyard in Oz.

Boo hoo!!!! 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
On 05/07/2022 at 08:14, gvallee said:

We filled up our motorhome with diesel today. I know we have an extended range fuel tank but....

A$404 or

£ 228 or
US$ 276

 

This will last 800km. Joe Blogg's backyard in Oz.

Boo hoo!!!! 

 

Oh dear, not great.

 

We are currently paying 199.9 p per litre of diesel, so I have taken to driving at truck speed (60 mph) on the motorways It's actually a relatively stress free means of travel, sitting in the inside lane and not much overtaking to do,  and we get near to 70 mpg. 

 

I hope that you are not affected by the flooding ?

Edited by Bryan
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Bryan said:

Oh dear, not great.

 

We are currently paying 199.9 p per gallon of diesel, so I have taken to driving at truck speed (60 mph) on the motorways It's actually a relatively stress free means of travel, sitting in the inside lane and not much overtaking to do,  and we get near to 70 mpg. 

 

I hope that you are not affected by the flooding ?

 

You must not be the only one slowing down to save fuel Bryan. Here in Oz, it's more difficult. Away from big cities, roads are mostly one lane in each direction, even the main 'highways'. We have to share them with endless trucks on tight schedule. They are not the most patient. How will this affect our travel? I guess we'll have to do more house/farm sittings to reduce the miles, which is a pleasure and had always been the plan anyway. We have a big trip coming up in September, several thousand kms, after that we'll see.

 

Luckily, we're not in the floods region. Poor people, some had their house flooded 4 times in 3 months. We're basking in 28C winter temperature in the Top End, near Darwin. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Bryan said:

199.9 p per gallon

Litre.

Unless you're distilling your own out of fermented leeks on the allotment.😉

Edited by spacecadet
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, spacecadet said:

Litre.

Unless you're distilling your own out of fermented leeks on the allotment.😉

Sounds a good scheme to me.  However yes it should be per litre !  One is getting on 🙃

 

I'll change it.

 

I seem to recall paying something like 5s and 11d per gallon when I was a lad, but then a pint of Fed special cost 1s 11d and Fed ordinary 1s 7d, Newcastle Brown was something weird like 2 s 7.5 p.

Edited by Bryan
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Bryan said:

Sounds a good scheme to me.  However yes it should be per litre !  One is getting on 🙃

 

I'll change it.

 

I seem to recall paying something like 5s and 11d per gallon when I was a lad, but then a pint of Fed special cost 1s 11d and Fed ordinary 1s 7d, Newcastle Brown was something weird like 2 s 7.5 p.

From my college archive. A gallon in late 1979. So about 25p/litre.

 

FX6EWT.jpg

 

With the Morris Minor in the 80s I used to have half a tank of 4-star and half a tank of 2. The man at the pumps said that made 3-star.

I used to have Newky Brown at lodge festive boards until the club got draught 1664. Mmm.

Edited by spacecadet
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Bryan said:

Sounds a good scheme to me.  However yes it should be per litre !  One is getting on 🙃

 

I'll change it.

 

I seem to recall paying something like 5s and 11d per gallon when I was a lad, but then a pint of Fed special cost 1s 11d and Fed ordinary 1s 7d, Newcastle Brown was something weird like 2 s 7.5 p.

 

When I started driving petrol was 4s 11d a gallon.  Equivalent inflation price today would be £4.

 

Allan

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, aphperspective said:

Despite having all the shots and boosters (4) in total still tested positive for Covid this morning.😒

 

Oh no. Take care of yourself. There are meds these days that should shorten your time of woe.

 

Paulette

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, NYCat said:

 

Oh no. Take care of yourself. There are meds these days that should shorten your time of woe.

 

Paulette

Thanks Paulette Paracetamol helps with the fever and head aches, strong coffee for the rest.

 

Andy

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, aphperspective said:

Despite having all the shots and boosters (4) in total still tested positive for Covid this morning.😒

 

Sorry to hear, hope you get over it OK. So far I've avoided Covid, although through practicalities last Tuesday I took a tube masked from Baker Street to Bow Road. I had been avoiding the tube since Covid, walking everywhere in London. I still clocked up 13.8km walking that day though, something pre Covid I never did. Am fully vaccinated myself.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, sb photos said:

 

Sorry to hear, hope you get over it OK. So far I've avoided Covid, although through practicalities last Tuesday I took a tube masked from Baker Street to Bow Road. I had been avoiding the tube since Covid, walking everywhere in London. I still clocked up 13.8km walking that day though, something pre Covid I never did. Am fully vaccinated myself.

My chemist told me it's everywhere in Ireland and this variant is so easily transmitted, basically pot luck about catching it. I to was fully vaccinated and all boosters done.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.