Post a bad thing that happened in your life today

Ed Rooney

17 hours ago, aphperspective said:

Despite having all the shots and boosters (4) in total still tested positive for Covid this morning.😒

Sorry to hear that, hopefully you will make a swift and full recovery !

I travelled by train to Leeds last Friday and the five car set had been reduced to three, with the result that people were packed in, standing alongside the seats. I hadn't thought to take a mask and nobody was wearing one. A decision I may come to regret !

2 hours ago, MDM said:

It's absolutely rampant in Great Britain as well although you would not think so as amost nobody is wearing masks any more. The vaccines appear to be a lot less effective against Omicron variants in general. The reliable scientific evidence from earlier this year is that the main Omicron variants at that time were less likely to cause severe respiratory problems, so far fewer people ending up in hospital. However, it appears that the latest Omicron variants may be more likely to affect the lungs than earlier Omicron variants. My advice from personal experience (with Delta, so far I've avoided Omicron) and particularly for anyone with pre-existing lung conditions, is to get hold of a good pulse oximeter and check oxygen levels regularly. Having one of these probably saved me getting permanent brain damage or even death from low oxygen levels. 

And it's not just about the acute phase of Covid. The chances of developing Long Covid are about halved with earlier Omicron variants compared to earlier variants but, because of the vastly increased number of cases, it is still a major issue - seemingly reliable estimates suggest that around 2 million people are experiencing Long Covid now in the UK which is an incredible figure. 

How are you doing with your Long Covid? Are you better? What about the anti-viral meds. Are they being used? Do they help a lot? Here we are being told to call our doctor and get a prescription for Paxlovid if we come down with it. Some information here...

https://www.henryford.com/blog/2022/05/paxlovid-and-covid-antivirals

Paulette

Edited by NYCat

41 minutes ago, Bryan said:

Sorry to hear that, hopefully you will make a swift and full recovery !

I travelled by train to Leeds last Friday and the five car set had been reduced to three, with the result that people were packed in, standing alongside the seats. I hadn't thought to take a mask and nobody was wearing one. A decision I may come to regret !

Bryan, if like me when travelling you take a camera bag with you, it’s always worthwhile carrying masks with you. I always keep around 5 FFP2 masks in my backpack. Which reminds me I’m down to my last box, must order some more, plus renew my senior railcard.

4 minutes ago, sb photos said:

Bryan, if like me when travelling you take a camera bag with you, it’s always worthwhile carrying masks with you. I always keep around 5 FFP2 masks in my backpack. Which reminds me I’m down to my last box, must order some more, plus renew my senior railcard.

So how do you stop your glasses steaming up, and keep them on? I suspect I may have to wear one on the Continent later on and I never solved the problem. With home-made, somewhat, but not with ffp2 and I don't think the Germans will wear my stripy job. It will be September so potentially cooler and steamier-upper.

Edited by spacecadet

2 hours ago, MDM said:

It's absolutely rampant in Great Britain as well although you would not think so as amost nobody is wearing masks any more. The vaccines appear to be a lot less effective against Omicron variants in general. The reliable scientific evidence from earlier this year is that the main Omicron variants at that time were less likely to cause severe respiratory problems, so far fewer people ending up in hospital. However, it appears that the latest Omicron variants may be more likely to affect the lungs than earlier Omicron variants. My advice from personal experience (with Delta, so far I've avoided Omicron) and particularly for anyone with pre-existing lung conditions, is to get hold of a good pulse oximeter and check oxygen levels regularly. Having one of these probably saved me getting permanent brain damage or even death from low oxygen levels. 

And it's not just about the acute phase of Covid. The chances of developing Long Covid are about halved with earlier Omicron variants compared to earlier variants but, because of the vastly increased number of cases, it is still a major issue - seemingly reliable estimates suggest that around 2 million people are experiencing Long Covid now in the UK which is an incredible figure. 

This from the CDC ". BA.5 is the most transmissible variant out there. According to the CDC, it's at least 20% more infectious than omicron - now typing or surpassing measles, the world's most infectious viral disease. Doctors say this means it will be easier to get - even in environments we consider 'safe' like outside.

6 hours ago, spacecadet said:

So how do you stop your glasses steaming up, and keep them on? I suspect I may have to wear one on the Continent later on and I never solved the problem. With home-made, somewhat, but not with ffp2 and I don't think the Germans will wear my stripy job. It will be September so potentially cooler and steamier-upper.

When I need to wear FFP2 masks (have got used to them) I take my glasses off. I’ve tried Calotherm and other substances that claim to stop glasses misting, no success. My eyes are good enough In shops, travelling by train and walking. If I’m wearing a mask and photographing, I twiddle the diopter adjustment close to its end stop and I’m ok. Operating like that I wouldn’t be able to pick out people at long distances unless looking through the viewfinder. I prefer shirts with 2 top pockets, one is handy to keep my glasses in and I can grab them quickly if I need to. I get by. 

Edited by sb photos

11 hours ago, aphperspective said:

My chemist told me it's everywhere in Ireland and this variant is so easily transmitted, basically pot luck about catching it. I to was fully vaccinated and all boosters done.  

Sorry to hear you have covid. Hope you are not badly affected by it and get well soon.

Allan

1 hour ago, Allan Bell said:

Sorry to hear you have covid. Hope you are not badly affected by it and get well soon.

Allan

Thanks Allan much appreciated, by some standards not badly affected just constant banging headache and a fever with sore throat. Paracetamol (Lemsips) helps with the fever and headache. As of this morning an improvement so hopefully a short sharp unpleasantness, I feel for those with Long Covid and more respiratory complications. 

My nephew and his wife booked a cruise down a river after flying to Europe. They saw Switzerland and the Netherlands. Both came home with Covid, but are doing ok now. My nephew went back to work yesterday. This was his second time with Covid, his wife’s first.

21 hours ago, aphperspective said:

This from the CDC ". BA.5 is the most transmissible variant out there. According to the CDC, it's at least 20% more infectious than omicron - now typing or surpassing measles, the world's most infectious viral disease. Doctors say this means it will be easier to get - even in environments we consider 'safe' like outside.

And there's more - the thing they are calling Centaurus, another Omicron variant of concern (link to The Guardian)

15 hours ago, sb photos said:

When I need to wear FFP2 masks (have got used to them) I take my glasses off. I’ve tried Calotherm and other substances that claim to stop glasses misting, no success. My eyes are good enough In shops, travelling by train and walking. If I’m wearing a mask and photographing, I twiddle the diopter adjustment close to its end stop and I’m ok. Operating like that I wouldn’t be able to pick out people at long distances unless looking through the viewfinder. I prefer shirts with 2 top pockets, one is handy to keep my glasses in and I can grab them quickly if I need to. I get by. 

Ah, hoping you had a wheeze I could use. I can't manage without glasses, although I did occasionally take them off when seated on public transport. And I've just tested positive again- after only 10 weeks clear. Getting a bit daft this, especially as I tested positive for 34 days last time.

With the arrival yesterday of twin grandsons I am not, to put it politely, best pleased.

Edited by spacecadet

22 hours ago, NYCat said:

How are you doing with your Long Covid? Are you better? What about the anti-viral meds. Are they being used? Do they help a lot? Here we are being told to call our doctor and get a prescription for Paxlovid if we come down with it. Some information here...

https://www.henryford.com/blog/2022/05/paxlovid-and-covid-antivirals

Paulette

Thanks for asking. The answer is no real change unfortunately with Long Covid. Good periods, bad periods, very bad periods - mainly fatigue which is debilitating at its worst. I can overcome it when I need to but I pay for that afterwards. I have been in a formal group of Long Covid patients, many of whom have had far worse experiences than me with the acute phase of Covid and others who have had it mild in the acute phase. The general story is that nobody I know in the group is getting fully better. It's up and down and often seemingly random. Chronic illness baffles people who have not experienced it as there is always an expectation of getting better. That is not the case for many Long Covid patients.

The antiviral drugs are used when one actually has Covid. Thankfully I have avoided getting it again since September 2021. I do qualify for anti-viral treatment should I get it back so I test if I get any symptoms that might be Covid, as it is vital to start using the anti-virals very early for them to be effective

• Love 2
  • Like 1

So sorry you are still having problems. This is a nasty disease. I know speed is important with anti-viral drugs. I pretty much completely avoided a case of shingles by getting to my doctor quickly.

Paulette

• Love 1

Only a few days back i was saying I have so far avoided Covid, now finally have it. A very positive test result first this this morning. Likely caught from a trip into London last week. So far symptoms are mild, sore throat, and a mild continuous headache. I don't feel as if I have a temperature, thermometer read 37.29c. Yesterday had to clear my throat occasionally and had a ticklish cough, now subsided. Am fully vaccinated. Have plenty to do at home that I had been putting off for ages.

1 hour ago, sb photos said:

Only a few days back i was saying I have so far avoided Covid, now finally have it. A very positive test result first this this morning. Likely caught from a trip into London last week. So far symptoms are mild, sore throat, and a mild continuous headache. I don't feel as if I have a temperature, thermometer read 37.29c. Yesterday had to clear my throat occasionally and had a ticklish cough, now subsided. Am fully vaccinated. Have plenty to do at home that I had been putting off for ages.

Sorry to hear the bad news Steve. Hope it clears soon.

Allan

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Sorry to hear the bad news Steve. Hope it clears soon.

Allan

Thanks Allan, so far it's mild. With hindsight, I probably had it yesterday. Looking back on my day in London last week, there was only 3 times I wasn't wearing an FFP2 mask. At an English Heritage blue plaque unveiling outside, then when walking to Bethnal Green it was hot, so I nipped into The Albert pub near the Roman Road Market for a pint and to edit and upload some Live News images. The pub wasn't crowded and I sat at a table in a corner away from everybody else. Then last of all due to the heat nipped into the St Stephen's Tavern in Westminster for another pint. Outside tables were all occupied so I stood at the bar close to the open side door. Was only there for about 10 minutes before walking back to Marylebone. Will keep out of pubs another time.

Edited by sb photos
  • Like 1

Thanks Allan, so far it's mild. With hindsight, I probably had it yesterday. Looking back on my day in London last week, there was only 3 times I wasn't wearing an FFP2 mask. At an English Heritage blue plaque unveiling outside, then when walking to Bethnal Green it was hot, so I nipped into The Albert pub near the Roman Road Market for a pint and to edit and upload some Live News images. The pub wasn't crowded and I sat at a table in a corner away from everybody else. Then last of all due to the heat nipped into the St Stephen's Tavern in Westminster for another pint. Outside tables were all occupied so I stood at the bar close to the open side door. Was only there for about 10 minutes before walking back to Marylebone. Will keep out of pubs another time.

Ah! You probably picked it up in The Albert pub being sat in a corner with no ventilation/draughts and you were there for some time. But who can tell, it is the most likely probability.

Allan

Sorry to hear that Steve, my symptoms have reduced to just a sore throat so hopefully yours will stay mild. Feet up take a break.

Andy

3 hours ago, sb photos said:

Sorry to hear that Steve, hope you feel better soon.  I find Strepsils good for tickley coughs...

Carol

23 minutes ago, aphperspective said:

Sorry to hear that Steve, my symptoms have reduced to just a sore throat so hopefully yours will stay mild. Feet up take a break.

Andy

My current complication is due to being T2 diabetic. Years ago I was informed how flu could play havoc with my normally well controlled blood sugar. I remember this 'Being ill can make your blood sugar go all over the place. Your body tries to fight the illness by releasing stored glucose (sugar) into your blood stream to give you energy. But your body can’t produce enough or any insulin to cope with this, so your blood sugars rise.' This is what's happening to me now. To bring my blood sugar to safe levels I have had to substantially increase my insulin. It takes a bit of getting used to as I don't want to go too low. Will also change to a carb free diet to help.

2 minutes ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

Sorry to hear that Steve, hope you feel better soon.  I find Strepsils good for tickley coughs...

Carol

I found 3 packets of strepsils, 2 were out of date. As I am diabetic I have the sugar free variant, the down side is they are only available in a sickly strawberry flavour. 🙁

3 hours ago, sb photos said:

8 days is a long time to develop symptoms so you may have got it much more recently. Last time I tested positive I blamed a large event but it had also been 8 days prior. I now suspect it was a restaurant visit 3 days before when there were only two other diners and three or four staff. Three days is more on the money. I had symptoms in the next day or two.

None yet this time, only indoors candidate for infection 3 days prior.

My current complication is due to being T2 diabetic. Years ago I was informed how flu could play havoc with my normally well controlled blood sugar. I remember this 'Being ill can make your blood sugar go all over the place. Your body tries to fight the illness by releasing stored glucose (sugar) into your blood stream to give you energy. But your body can’t produce enough or any insulin to cope with this, so your blood sugars rise.' This is what's happening to me now. To bring my blood sugar to safe levels I have had to substantially increase my insulin. It takes a bit of getting used to as I don't want to go too low. Will also change to a carb free diet to help.

T2 runs in my family, my dad had I got diagnosed some years ago. Thankfully just 2 pills a day for me topped up with Murphy's.(Nicer than Guinness) in my opinion.

• Alamy locked this topic