Post a bad thing that happened in your life today

Ed Rooney

On 10/02/2022 at 19:56, gvallee said:

I had several requests for a book over the years. Hubby writes beautifully, he's a writer at heart but sorry, we have no plans to put one together.

We have a private blog spanning many years (25?) and even us are taken aback at the number of (mis)+adventures we had when we periodically read it back. A well filled life. Hope it won't end any time soon. 

We're back on the road for now, just need a replacement plug fitted. 

We're ready to take on the next farmsit soon, looking after an energetic kelpie and sheep in a farm next to the beach. New adventures beckon.

Farmsit sounds like a great idea, for a spell at least.  Here on the East Coast we've dealt with temperatures 30+ for some weeks now, but remain thankful to avoid the 40-degree heat being reported, night after night, from Perth (never mind the Northwest!)  Still can't entirely trust state officials not to switch back to COVID restrictions at the first hint of a renewed outbreak or a new virus variant, leaving travellers marooned at the state borders (Queensland, anyone?). 

• Love 1

26 minutes ago, Philip Game said:

Farmsit sounds like a great idea, for a spell at least.  Here on the East Coast we've dealt with temperatures 30+ for some weeks now, but remain thankful to avoid the 40-degree heat being reported, night after night, from Perth (never mind the Northwest!)  Still can't entirely trust state officials not to switch back to COVID restrictions at the first hint of a renewed outbreak or a new virus variant, leaving travellers marooned at the state borders (Queensland, anyone?). 

Well, the WA Premier has finally announced a re-opening date for State and national borders: 3rd March. It will be the first time for us living with Covid. We were lucky to be in NT or WA these past 2 years, life was normal. There's only 200 new cases a day in WA, masks are new. 

Here we are with the third major storm in about a week. They are talking about the River Mersey jumping its banks, but that would be east and north of Liverpool. I'm up on one of the city's many hills, so flooding should not affect my building. Other problems? They might occur.

Boris might lift most of the Cover restrictions soon but sipping from a pal's beer glass at 3 AM is still not encouraged. 

Edited by Ed Rooney
  • Love 1

I had a bad afternoon yesterday with news of sweet kitties who I have looked after for years. I ran into a cat-sitting client I hadn't heard from during the pandemic. She told me it wasn't just that they hadn't traveled. Their sweet old cat Purr has passed away. Then more bad news in an email from a client I've worked for since before she married. Her eldest daughter is now in college. I have cared for 8 or 9 different cats for her and my favorite has been Milo... a little tuxedo cat who reminded me of Fred Astaire. He had to be put down because of cancer of the spleen that had metastasized. I just looked after him over the Christmas holidays. I'll be seeing her other two this weekend and it will be hard not seeing Milo there. One thing I didn't think of when I started as a cat-sitter is that I have sweet little friends of mine dying along the way. Very sad.

Paulette

• Love 1

8 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Here we are with the third major storm in about a week. They are talking about the River Mersey jumping its banks, but that would be east and north of Liverpool. I'm up on one of the city's many hills, so flooding should not affect my building. Other problems? They might occur.

Boris might lift most of the Cover restrictions soon but sipping from a pal's beer glass at 3 AM is still not encouraged. 

Well I for one will continue to wear a mask in crowded places and on shops/stores and on public transport. Still have LFT kits and will continues to use them.

Allan

1 hour ago, Allan Bell said:

Well I for one will continue to wear a mask in crowded places and on shops/stores and on public transport. Still have LFT kits and will continues to use them.

Allan

I will be doing the same with my masks, Allan. 

• Love 1

11 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

I will be doing the same with my masks, Allan. 

1 hour ago, Allan Bell said:

Allan

FFP2 masks recommended. The ordinary surgical masks mainly protect others. The lack of any restrictions including for those who test positive is extremely worrying. 

13 hours ago, NYCat said:

I had a bad afternoon yesterday with news of sweet kitties who I have looked after for years. I ran into a cat-sitting client I hadn't heard from during the pandemic. She told me it wasn't just that they hadn't traveled. Their sweet old cat Purr has passed away. Then more bad news in an email from a client I've worked for since before she married. Her eldest daughter is now in college. I have cared for 8 or 9 different cats for her and my favorite has been Milo... a little tuxedo cat who reminded me of Fred Astaire. He had to be put down because of cancer of the spleen that had metastasized. I just looked after him over the Christmas holidays. I'll be seeing her other two this weekend and it will be hard not seeing Milo there. One thing I didn't think of when I started as a cat-sitter is that I have sweet little friends of mine dying along the way. Very sad.

Paulette

It is sad. I’ve had to deal with family members’ pets dying, some of them who considered me Mom 2. Over the Rainbow Bridge.

My helper, Luis, fell when my dog got in his way.  He had pain in the lower leg and ankle and I got on the phone with my friend the British Nurse (retired), and we decided he needed to go to the emergency room and were about to call various people when we realized he could call people he knew where he used to work and get a cab and a helper to come to the door here.  His phone was broken so he couldn't reach the on-call taxi driver himself. 

As I was dealing with that, I found out that a friend, an old expat guy living back in the Southern Autonomous Caribbean region, had died in January, but his Nicaraguan family hadn't called me. 

So, lots of phone calls.  The woman who came to help him get to the hospital brought him back to my British friends, and then to me.  She'll be walking both sets of dogs.  He needs under the arm crutches which cost $40 and my British friend is going to pay for that and the meds the emergency room crew prescribed for him.  Neither of us thought it was a full fracture, and the hospital didn't do a full cast, just a half cast wrapped up. 

And also, my landlord's daughter came by to hand me the water bill from when a pipe between the meter and the house broke.  Around $12 rather than the  usual around $3.   Either she didn't try to get it down or they refused to reduce it. 

My weekend submission did pass QC so I did the Optional things and sent in another batch. 

So a cat got me and the dog got Luis.   And I have to be in Managua end of March or April 1 to renew my residency.

12 minutes ago, Rebecca Ore said:

My helper, Luis, fell when my dog got in his way.  He had pain in the lower leg and ankle and I got on the phone with my friend the British Nurse (retired), and we decided he needed to go to the emergency room and were about to call various people when we realized he could call people he knew where he used to work and get a cab and a helper to come to the door here.  His phone was broken so he couldn't reach the on-call taxi driver himself. 

As I was dealing with that, I found out that a friend, an old expat guy living back in the Southern Autonomous Caribbean region, had died in January, but his Nicaraguan family hadn't called me. 

So, lots of phone calls.  The woman who came to help him get to the hospital brought him back to my British friends, and then to me.  She'll be walking both sets of dogs.  He needs under the arm crutches which cost $40 and my British friend is going to pay for that and the meds the emergency room crew prescribed for him.  Neither of us thought it was a full fracture, and the hospital didn't do a full cast, just a half cast wrapped up. 

And also, my landlord's daughter came by to hand me the water bill from when a pipe between the meter and the house broke.  Around $12 rather than the  usual around $3.   Either she didn't try to get it down or they refused to reduce it. 

My weekend submission did pass QC so I did the Optional things and sent in another batch. 

So a cat got me and the dog got Luis.   And I have to be in Managua end of March or April 1 to renew my residency.

My daughter had shoulder surgery over a year ago. About a month later, she and my other daughter were helping me with a garage sale.  The one daughter’s dog tripped the daughter who’d had surgery, and she rehurt the shoulder. 
You have to watch the pets, they’re out to kill us and take over the world. Next, they’ll mount our heads.😳

4 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

You have to watch the pets, they’re out to kill us and take over the world. Next, they’ll mount our heads.😳

A recent film called Zoo was about that idea -- not based on a true story, twas based on a paranoid concept. 

3 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

I don't think they had any flesh-eating African greys, Betty -- only lions and tigers and those big bears, like Paulette likes to cuddle. 

My son, Jeff, who’s staying with me, cooking, ferrying me to PT, never liked our parrots. He objected to their occasional squawks. Of course, Bogie is gone, and Echo feels his animosity. If she could get hold of him, I do believe she’d become a flesh-eater. Every time he gets near her cage, she attacks the cage bars near him with ferocity. And she’s always been sweet & gentle. Ya gotta worry about someone a gentle animal hates, even if he’s my son.

2 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

My son, Jeff, who’s staying with me, cooking, ferrying me to PT, never liked our parrots. He objected to their occasional squawks. Of course, Bogie is gone, and Echo feels his animosity. If she could get hold of him, I do believe she’d become a flesh-eater. Every time he gets near her cage, she attacks the cage bars near him with ferocity. And she’s always been sweet & gentle. Ya gotta worry about someone a gentle animal hates, even if he’s my son.

Yes, a lot of animals have a great sense of which humans to trust.  I have never owned a dog but I seem to always get along well with most dogs, I just don't put out any threatening vibes.

• Love 1

2 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

Yes, a lot of animals have a great sense of which humans to trust.  I have never owned a dog but I seem to always get along well with most dogs, I just don't put out any threatening vibes.

I’ve always been an animal lover. Even I was shocked when I was 16, and wanted to knock on the door of a strange country house to ask permission to fish on their land. I thought I could sweet talk the German Shepherd guarding the house. It had always worked before.

Until it didn’t, and I was saved from the teeth by diving through the window of our car. Thank heavens, my husband, the coward, yanked me through.

• Love 1

19 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

I’ve always been an animal lover. Even I was shocked when I was 16, and wanted to knock on the door of a strange country house to ask permission to fish on their land. I thought I could sweet talk the German Shepherd guarding the house. It had always worked before.

Until it didn’t, and I was saved from the teeth by diving through the window of our car. Thank heavens, my husband, the coward, yanked me through.

Yep, that's why I wrote "most" dogs.  Some will tear you apart no matter what you do.  Wait, you were married at 16??  (or maybe before you married him?).

• Alamy locked this topic