Post a bad thing that happened in your life today

Ed Rooney

I'm wondering how to explain to myself the many aches and pains that come and go through out the week. Ouch!

Looking out my window, I thought I should go out for a walk, down by the river maybe. I'd carry a little Sony and see if anything is happen. Maybe someone is doing something besides talking or texting on their phone. Maybe. I put on my shoes and when I looked out again it was pouring rain. And windy. Even the gulls looked unhappy with the day. I took off my shoes.

I got all today's events done this morning. So . . . will I watch some crappy movie on Netflix or Amazon Prime, a nonsensical sifi, some ultra violence epic where a little teen girl from LA beats up a 100 football thugs with her hands and feet, or where K Reeves (who's supposed to be a very sweet guy) shoots 500 people? Hard to choose what's less terrible. At least I know I'll be able to hear 'I got this' and all the many forms of the F word over and over and over. Read an ebook or play some virtual pool? Maybe I'll go for that wet walk and leave the Sonys home? 

• Love 2

Went to the local store for some essentials. Was dry when I set out and all the way to the shop/store. When I came out of the shop it was chucking it down and by the time I walked home I was the proverbial drowneded rat.🐀

Allan

1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

I'm wondering how to explain to myself the many aches and pains that come and go through out the week. Ouch!

Looking out my window, I thought I should go out for a walk, down by the river maybe. I'd carry a little Sony and see if anything is happen. Maybe someone is doing something besides talking or texting on their phone. Maybe. I put on my shoes and when I looked out again it was pouring rain. And windy. Even the gulls looked unhappy with the day. I took off my shoes.

I got all today's events done this morning. So . . . will I watch some crappy movie on Netflix or Amazon Prime, a nonsensical sifi, some ultra violence epic where a little teen girl from LA beats up a 100 football thugs with her hands and feet, or where K Reeves (who's supposed to be a very sweet guy) shoots 500 people? Hard to choose what's less terrible. At least I know I'll be able to hear 'I got this' and all the many forms of the F word over and over and over. Read an ebook or play some virtual pool? Maybe I'll go for that wet walk and leave the Sonys home? 

Some very stormy weather the next few days so time to batten down the hatches. 

Have you watched any of the three Fargo series on Netflx? These series are brilliant, truly brilliant - stories, acting .... Also Better Call Saul, Breaking Bad, Ozark, The Sinner. These are all excellent series on Netflix. All worth watching.

Here in Wichita, tonight it’ll start with rain, then sleet, and end up with 3 to 9 inches of snow through tomorrow. Wind driven, for sure, with lots of drifts. But Friday, it’ll be well above freezing and even warm KSN for 5 days or so. The big melt will be on.

59 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

I agree, Michael -- I've seen all those films and TV shows except The Sinner

Shortly after posting the above, it stopped raining and I went out for my walk Very windy but not cold. 

OK Edo if you liked those then The Sinner is well worth a look. Bill Pullman is the lead actor and the storylines are brilliant.  There are four series - my wife and I are going to binge tonight on the last three episodes of Series 4.

Talking about Fargo, Martin Freeman who plays Lester in Series 1, with that incredible Minnesota accent, also plays the lead in The Responder (BBC) where he does some real heavy duty Scouse. He is English but a long way from Liverpool. I am no expert on accents but to my ear his ability with accents is amazing. When you start running short of stuff on Netflix and Amazon, do consider the TV licence as there is a load of great stuff on the BBC iPlayer.

Edited by MDM
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

Perhaps it's time to start a "Weather Report" thread. 😎

Mostly cloudy today here in Vancouver, temperature holding steady at 8 degrees Celsius, no wind to speak of, more showers on the way.

It was 16℃ today in Cambridgeshire which is very unusual for February in eastern England. I remember a couple of years ago it hit 18℃ around this same week, again very unusual (record breaking I think). This unusually warm weather today is a precursor to the Atlantic storms we are about to experience.

Edited by MDM

We've had further damage to our allotment greenhouse, the broken glass panels that I replaced with polycarbonate were all blown out again, despite finding a good solution to the disappearing door dilemma, which I had considered the nub of the problem.  Fortunately I found all the lost panels, including one in the woods behind the allotment site - and it was undamaged ! 

Another storm predicted for tomorrow. 

I've searched on T'Net to see what can be done, and found some interesting solutions, the most promising appears to be narrow wooden struts on either side of the polycarb. panels to reduce the flexing. Something to keep me busy when the storms are over.

On 12/02/2022 at 17:30, Michael Ventura said:

Looks like it’s my turn for a health issue, tho nothing compared to Betty and Carol.  The last few days, I had been experiencing a pain in my chest that was gradually getting worse.  Yesterday it got unbearable and I called my cardiologist and he called right back…naturally he told me to go to the ER.  After many tests, they ruled out a cardiac event, thank goodness!  Five hours later, they let me go home, it was after midnight by then.  They think I had torn some muscle tissue around my ribs but I cannot recall doing anything that would have caused it.  They said, at my age, even very innocuous things, like a hard sneeze, can do that.  So I have been laying here all day on a heating pad, hoping the pain goes away.  No pain pills other than non prescription types.  My daughter is coming by later today to check on me.  She would have earlier but she has trauma classes today.

I would certainly have dialled 999 for an ambulance if that happened to me- isn't that an option in the US, or is there some reason you wouldn't do that? Not that I  have a cardiologist but then I don't think many people in the UK would have, as such.

26 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

I would certainly have dialled 999 for an ambulance if that happened to me- isn't that an option in the US, or is there some reason you wouldn't do that? Not that I  have a cardiologist but then I don't think many people in the UK would have, as such.

I had a missive through the post yesterday from NHS telling people to phone 111 first???????

Allan

1 hour ago, spacecadet said:

Yes, we have 911 for all types of emergencies.  Since my pain was slowly building over 48 hours, I decided to contact my cardiologist to see what he thought.  He seemed to think it probably wasn’t heart related but really wanted me to go in to rule out a cardiac event.  I kept thinking of a friend of mine who lost her husband to a heart attack after he ignored symptoms for a day or two.

• Thanks 2
  • Like 1

On 16/02/2022 at 16:52, MDM said:

Some very stormy weather the next few days so time to batten down the hatches. 

It’s been a busy few days for my elderly neighbours, Dudley and Eunice, who live in a bungalow down the lane. It’s a strange time, too, for their grandchildren, Siri and Alexa. When they’re called in for their tea, the whole village goes into a digital meltdown…

1 hour ago, Michael Ventura said:

Yes, we have 911 for all types of emergencies.  Since my pain was slowly building over 48 hours, I decided to contact my cardiologist to see what he thought.  He seemed to think it probably wasn’t heart related but really wanted me to go in to rule out a cardiac event.  I kept thinking of a friend of mine who lost her husband to a heart attack after he ignored symptoms for a day or two.

Hope you are feeling better now Michael, I'm fine no health issues🙏  It's amazing to think if you had sneezed it would have caused so much stress😒 Annoying that you can't remember doing anything to hurt your rib but sometimes I think even if you twist or turn around the wrong way it may not have helped....

Carol

15 minutes ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

Hope you are feeling better now Michael, I'm fine no health issues🙏  It's amazing to think if you had sneezed it would have caused so much stress😒 Annoying that you can't remember doing anything to hurt your rib but sometimes I think even if you twist or turn around the wrong way it may not have helped....

Carol

Yes, still a mystery as to what caused it but feeling nearly 100% back to normal.  It was scary for sure.

• Love 1

1 hour ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

Another 2 fence panels about to hit the deck and probably demolish my beautiful bamboo's.....☹️

Carol

Oh dear, that's bad luck. Bamboos are pretty hardy though.

I just found half of my neighbour's conservatory roof in my garden.

As to a weather report…

It was warm Wednesday at 70F. A cold front swept in causing thunder, lightning and a healthy dose of rain around midnight. The water froze into ice, a slick foundation for the 6 1/2 inches of snow that ended around 1 p.m. yesterday. It was all wind-driven. The sun came out, and while the temperature remained well below freezing, the big melt was on for the roads. 
Still snowy this morning, but the temperature will be well-above freezing today.

We might be in for another round of this next week. 😣😡

5 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

I had a missive through the post yesterday from NHS telling people to phone 111 first???????

Allan

Our neighbour works in A&E and he complains that they are besieged by folk turning up with trivial complaints that could be resolved by some self administered home help, a visit to a pharmacist, a GP, or by calling 111.   The one benefit of Covid was that most of these people stayed away.  

On the one occasion that I felt it necessary to call 111 they despatched an ambulance on hearing the symptoms, so it's actually a route to emergency care if needed  -  although clearly 999 is the number to call if in dire straits.

I was subsequently told off by the neighbour who said I should have have knocked on his door and got him out of bed ! 

3 hours ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

Another 2 fence panels about to hit the deck and probably demolish my beautiful bamboo's.....☹️

Carol

luckily I rebuilt the back garden fence last year, no damage. My daughter lives high up in Bristol UK, she nearly lost the roof of a lean too on the side of the house. Sun is shining now.

• Alamy locked this topic