Post a bad thing that happened in your life today

Ed Rooney

13 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

I had a fan belt break on a car in Oxfordshire. My first thought was 'what's a fan belt?' 

In the 80s that probably was a fanbelt, but nowadays the cooling fan is electric and what was the fanbelt is now called the drivebelt and turns the alternator, aircon compressor, oil pump and such. But most people still call it the fanbelt.

And yes, Ed, you should have a licence to watch Iplayer. The law changed a few years ago.

Edited by spacecadet
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

Michael, -- anyone? Do I need to have a UK TV licence to watch iPlayer stuff? 

Yes as spacecadet has already said but it is worth it for the iPlayer alone. You can pay monthly (about £13/month). You can also legally watch  the other terrestrial channels. 

Edited by MDM

That's what I thought, fellows.

But I don't have a TV. Everything I watch is on a 13" MacBook. And I want to move out of this building. So there are a lot of side issues. I have Netflix and Amazon Prime. 

6 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

That's what I thought, fellows.

But I don't have a TV. Everything I watch is on a 13" MacBook. And I want to move out of this building. So there are a lot of side issues. I have Netflix and Amazon Prime. 

You can watch the main terrestrial channels live on a computer- that needs a licence. 

16 minutes ago, MDM said:

You can also legally watch the catchup for the other terrestrial channels

You don't need a TV licence for those. Only iPlayer.

https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one#:~:text=including on YouTube%3F-,You need to be covered by a TV Licence to,service apart from BBC iPlayer.

But excluding iPlayer would be a pretty rubbish thing to do. It's where the good stuff is.

Edited by spacecadet

41 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

You can watch the main terrestrial channels live on a computer- that needs a licence. 

You don't need a TV licence for those. Only iPlayer.

https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one#:~:text=including on YouTube%3F-,You need to be covered by a TV Licence to,service apart from BBC iPlayer.

But excluding iPlayer would be a pretty rubbish thing to do. It's where the good stuff is.

OK I've corrected my post so it is not misleading. I always have a TV licence anyway so don't worry about the details. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Bryan said:

Still home alone with herself touring the country, but back Saturday. Made a cheesy leek and potato bake yesterday and ate too much. I quite enjoy cooking but find it difficult to judge quantities for one. Had success with Yorkshire puds on Sunday then enjoyed a pancake for breakfast with the leftover stuff!  Need to cycle to the shops for supplies today, the weather doesn't appear to be too atrocious. 

Spending time fixing things, both my home garden and allotment greenhouses need attention, that at the allotment being partially wrecked by gales.

TV currently dominated by winter Olympics, searching through catch up to find tolerable advert free alternatives.

I remember looking forward to watching winter and summer olympics. The shine wore off some years ago. Now I’m just mad because it preempt my favorite show. Kindle, here I come.

4 hours ago, MDM said:

It is painful to realise that the additional funding cuts to the BBC will heavily impact on the quality of the programming,

Indeed, I've signed the petition against the cuts.  Case of knowing the price of everything and the value of nothing.

On 09/02/2022 at 11:38, Bryan said:

It all makes fascinating reading, when are you going to write the book ?? 

Fingers crossed you get the van sorted ASAP

I had several requests for a book over the years. Hubby writes beautifully, he's a writer at heart but sorry, we have no plans to put one together.

We have a private blog spanning many years (25?) and even us are taken aback at the number of (mis)+adventures we had when we periodically read it back. A well filled life. Hope it won't end any time soon. 

We're back on the road for now, just need a replacement plug fitted. 

We're ready to take on the next farmsit soon, looking after an energetic kelpie and sheep in a farm next to the beach. New adventures beckon.

• Love 3

On 25/01/2022 at 03:18, Bryan said:

Years ago I purchased a copy of Microsoft Office, which I have installed on our two home use computers. Over time, due to disc failures and upgrades, I've had to reinstall it a few times. That is until I ran out of reinstalls. I still have the original disc but it will no longer allow me to use the software. I feel that this is sharp practice by Microsoft. 

I just checked and the Microsoft telephone Activation service is still available for Office 2010. I just reactivated my copy again as I was just doing a fresh install of Windows 11 in a VM and my Retail copy MS Office 2010 Home and Business had run out of activations. Sequence is.

• Install Office 2010 using the Product Key
  • When you run for the 1st time it will ask you to Activate
  • Online Activation will fail if you've run out of activations
  • So select Activate By Telephone - it will tell you this service is no longer available - but that's not true
  • Dial 0800 018 8354 (toll free) or 0203 147 4390 (mobile)
  • Make sure you have the PC (with the Activation screen with the Installation ID showing) and phone next to each other and follow the automated instructions.

It worked for me.

See https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/office/-telephone-activation-is-no-longer-supported-for-your-product-error-when-activating-office-9b016cd2-0811-4cb3-b896-5a6a13177713

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman
  • Love 1

11 hours ago, M.Chapman said:

I just checked and the Microsoft telephone Activation service is still available for Office 2010. I just reactivated my copy again as I was just doing a fresh install of Windows 11 in a VM and my Retail copy MS Office 2010 Home and Business had run out of activations. Sequence is.

• Install Office 2010 using the Product Key
  • When you run for the 1st time it will ask you to Activate
  • Online Activation will fail if you've run out of activations
  • So select Activate By Telephone - it will tell you this service is no longer available - but that's not true
  • Dial 0800 018 8354 (toll free) or 0203 147 4390 (mobile)
  • Make sure you have the PC (with the Activation screen with the Installation ID showing) and phone next to each other and follow the automated instructions.

It worked for me.

See https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/office/-telephone-activation-is-no-longer-supported-for-your-product-error-when-activating-office-9b016cd2-0811-4cb3-b896-5a6a13177713

Mark

Thanks Mark, but, typically for me, my copy is way older than 2010, and I'm now happy with our lookalike German replacement.

Looks like it’s my turn for a health issue, tho nothing compared to Betty and Carol.  The last few days, I had been experiencing a pain in my chest that was gradually getting worse.  Yesterday it got unbearable and I called my cardiologist and he called right back…naturally he told me to go to the ER.  After many tests, they ruled out a cardiac event, thank goodness!  Five hours later, they let me go home, it was after midnight by then.  They think I had torn some muscle tissue around my ribs but I cannot recall doing anything that would have caused it.  They said, at my age, even very innocuous things, like a hard sneeze, can do that.  So I have been laying here all day on a heating pad, hoping the pain goes away.  No pain pills other than non prescription types.  My daughter is coming by later today to check on me.  She would have earlier but she has trauma classes today.

Good grief! That had to be frightening, Michael. Thank goodness it wasn’t a cardiac event. I once tore some rib cartilage just plunging a bathtub drain. Hurt like the devil and certainly led me to believe it was my heart. Hope your pain diminishes soon.

8 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

Looks like it’s my turn for a health issue, tho nothing compared to Betty and Carol.  The last few days, I had been experiencing a pain in my chest that was gradually getting worse.  Yesterday it got unbearable and I called my cardiologist and he called right back…naturally he told me to go to the ER.  After many tests, they ruled out a cardiac event, thank goodness!  Five hours later, they let me go home, it was after midnight by then.  They think I had torn some muscle tissue around my ribs but I cannot recall doing anything that would have caused it.  They said, at my age, even very innocuous things, like a hard sneeze, can do that.  So I have been laying here all day on a heating pad, hoping the pain goes away.  No pain pills other than non prescription types.  My daughter is coming by later today to check on me.  She would have earlier but she has trauma classes today.

Muscles can do weird things, especially as we get older. Coincidentally, last night, my foot became very stiff and swollen for no apparent reason. It was very painful, and I could hardly walk. Today, after a good night's sleep, it's back to normal. I have no idea what happened since I don't normally have any foot problems, plus I didn't do anything strenuous yesterday. Pain can disappear as quickly as it appears sometimes. Hope you're feeling better soon.

18 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

5 minutes ago, Cecile Marion said:

Good grief! That had to be frightening, Michael. Thank goodness it wasn’t a cardiac event. I once tore some rib cartilage just plunging a bathtub drain. Hurt like the devil and certainly led me to believe it was my heart. Hope your pain diminishes soon.

3 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

Muscles can do weird things, especially as we get older. Coincidentally, last night, my foot became very stiff and swollen for no apparent reason. It was very painful, and I could hardly walk. Today, after a good night's sleep, it's back to normal. I have no idea what happened since I don't normally have any foot problems, plus I didn't do anything strenuous yesterday. Pain can disappear as quickly as it appears sometimes. Hope you're feeling better soon.

Welcome to the club people.

Allan

22 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

I’d watch that, John. If you see a red spot that is painful, see your doctor. Could be a blood clot. Of course, I’m only a doctor wannabe! 😁

12 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

I’d watch that, John. If you see a red spot that is painful, see your doctor. Could be a blood clot. Of course, I’m only a doctor wannabe! 😁

Thanks. I thought about that possibility. No red spot that I can see at the moment.

P.S. Trust you won't be billing me for this consultation. 🙃

Thanks you guys!  Yes, my best buddy from childhood called me today, we've been close friends since we were 8 and now lives in NYC.  He hated hearing about my health woes, only because it acknowledges that we are no longer the kids were once were.  Even as hard as we try to be youthful, in mind, our bodies have other plans.

• Love 1

5 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

I can’t top that.
But a few days after my surgery, I somehow achieved a doozy of a

groin strain. It could have happened with a sneeze or a cough, and I did cough some. Sometimes it feels like an explosion happens when I cough, and I expect to look down and see blood everywhere, that my artery exploded.  It is still there, and I have to lift my right leg with my hands to keep from aggravating it further.  It is hampering PT. The therapist worked on it a bit the other day, but only made it sore. She said that tendon is hard as a rock.

I’m President of the club.

Michael, I’m so glad you’re ok.

• Alamy locked this topic