Post a bad thing that happened in your life today

Ed Rooney

2 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

Yes, I think this door that shattered is original to the house, which was built in the 1940s.  I will be sure the new one is built to better safety standards.

A chance for a bit of forensics if you fancy........look through a large piece (better wear gardening gloves;)). If the view is wavy, the glass isn't perfectly flat so it's original. Float glass wasn't invented until the 1950s. We can tell our original panes from the 1991 replacements.

Edited by spacecadet

2 hours ago, spacecadet said:

A chance for a bit of forensics if you fancy........look through a large piece (better wear gardening gloves;)). If the view is wavy, the glass isn't perfectly flat so it's original. Float glass wasn't invented until the 1950s. We can tell our original panes from the 1991 replacements.

My daughter cleaned up all the glass shards and I had her wear a pair of gloves like these that I bought for cutting veggies, I can't afford even a minor cut.  These are great for those who want to avoid kitchen cuts.  I would be very surprised that this door wasn't original.

Edited by Michael Ventura
  • Thanks 1

Those gloves seem like a great idea. My older sister is on blood thinners. I’ll have to try to remember to get her a pair for her next birthday. 

When my twin sons were about five, they were horsing around and chased each other through an interior doorway. Our ancient home had the original glass still in the multi-paned interior door. The first son slammed the door on my second son, causing second son’s hand and forearm to go through one of the panes. We were so fortunate that day! Even though the pane broke completely, leaving nasty, jagged edges, my son escaped with only a few minor scratches on his arm. 

Edited by Cecile Marion

17 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

I was having such a great day today, it was warm enough out to not wear a jacket and I had two outdoor shoots.  I hired a new assistant and he worked out great.  All was well until I got home and I was carrying a somewhat heavy camera bag into the house and had a delivery box at my door.  Being a dumb guy, I thought I could manage to pick up the box while keeping the camera bag balanced on my shoulder and that did not work out so well.  My glass storm door sort slammed shut on me and my right elbow went through the glass.  At first I thought, oh just broken glass but then I saw that I had cuts in four places along my arm (not deep ones, thank goodness!).  I take a blood thinner so any cut scares the crap out of me.  I called my daughter and fortunately she was home and not working tonight.  She rush over (just a few minutes away) with her medical kit and patched me up nicely and now I owe her dinner and then some!  And now I need a new storm door, this one was so old, it is not worth repairing.

You were lucky to escape so lightly, hope the cuts heal soon. A boy in my school class during the late 1950’s was playing with friends at home and ran into the french windows. He lost the tip of his nose and had multiple cuts. I can’t remember if the tip of his nose was sewn back or not. Another boy lost his thumb when lifting up a street drain cover to recover a marble and it dropped on his hand. We seem to have lots of accidents in those days.

Edited by sb photos

23 minutes ago, sb photos said:

You were lucky to escape so lightly, hope the cuts heal soon. A boy in my school class during the late 1950’s was playing with friends at home and ran into the french windows. He lost the tip of his nose and had multiple cuts. I can’t remember if the tip of his nose was sewn back or not. Another boy lost his thumb when lifting up a street drain cover to recover a marble and it dropped on his hand. We seem to have lots of accidents in those days.

Yes, I am still a bit traumatized by the sight of the horrific scars a boy in my grade school class had after running through a glass door,  He was lucky to have survived.  His arm was just shredded!  Now in his sixties, I saw him recently at a local sandwich shop and I mentioned remembering that and he rolled up his sleeve to show that scars are still very much there. He didn't mind talking about it, he was a bit of a hyper kid who had many broken bones and what not in his younger days.  He even took up motocross - motorcycle racing.   How he is still alive is beyond me.

2 hours ago, Cecile Marion said:

Those gloves seem like a great idea. My older sister is on blood thinners. I’ll have to try to remember to get her a pair for her next birthday. 

One other thing your sister should have is this stuff called "Liquid Bandage", you can get it any pharmacy.    For bleeders like me, it is a must to have at the ready.  You brush it over the cuts and it will seal up the cut like a layer of skin.  It can sting a bit but if it stops the bleeding, the sting is well worth it.  My daughter flushed out all the cuts with a large syringe (no needle) filled with a saline solution before putting on the liquid bandage.  She often comes home from the hospital with all these first aid type stuff in her pockets and she just dumps it all in her first aid kit.  I told, last night, that I wished she could help the Ukrainians with her skills.

• Love 1

Gloves are a great idea.  I always make sure when I am cutting swede and celeriac which are very hard vegetables, I always wear thick gloves as the knife I use for cutting these  is very sharp and our family is known to be clumsy - well my sister more than me probably but I don't want to take any chances !

Carol

A sharp knife is the safest knife, Carol. But you have to be careful. I gave my good knife set to my daughter-in-law in Montreal. 

I have no room to do proper chopping and prepping in this insanely small kitchen. 

Edited by Ed Rooney
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

A sharp knife is the safest knife, Carol. But you have to be careful. I gave my good knife set to my daughter-in-law in Montreal. 

I have no room to do proper chopping and prepping in this insanely small kitchen. 

My worst cut was while cutting ham with a dull butcher knife. I had to bear down on the knife too hard. When it suddenly went through, I cut the index finger of the other hand to the bone.

My husband heard me gasp and came running in. He held my hand under the faucet until he saw the whit bone shining up at him. 
He said, “can you do this for awhile? I’ll be back.”

He was gone forever, so I got a tea towel and wrapped my hand, putting pressure on the cut and looked for him. He was laid out on his back on the couch, arm over his forehead, white as a ghost.

I’m glad he did that rather passing out on the kitchen floor!

Just because I’m left handed and look awkward to my right handed family members, they hate to see me with knives. So? Are they going to hold that ONE cut against me forever?

But yes, as Edo says, it wouldn’t have happened if my knife was sharp.

If the knife won't cleanly slice tomatoes it's blunt and needs to be sharpened. Good knifes hold their edge longer but no kitchen should be without a means of sharpening knives. 

Betty's story reminds me of an incident involving blood and my wife. I managed to call for an ambulance,  but being a wimp, I then passed out and struck my head on the fire surround. When the medics arrived I was lying on the floor and they assumed that I was the person requiring assistance, but fortunately no long term problem for either of us.

I'm not so bad with my own blood.  Having partially severed a finger while cutting meat for our now sadly departed dog I traipsed from the doctor's surgery to the drop in centre and finally to the local hospital in search of medical attention. Accident and emergency sorted it out. 

17 hours ago, sb photos said:

Another boy lost his thumb when lifting up a street drain cover to recover a marble and it dropped on his hand

Those are not even made of metal anymore. So they no longer have to be round- a plastic one won't kill anyone on the way down.

(A circle doesn't have a minor axis. This about it).

5 hours ago, Bryan said:

If the knife won't cleanly slice tomatoes it's blunt and needs to be sharpened. Good knifes hold their edge longer but no kitchen should be without a means of sharpening knives. 

Betty's story reminds me of an incident involving blood and my wife. I managed to call for an ambulance,  but being a wimp, I then passed out and struck my head on the fire surround. When the medics arrived I was lying on the floor and they assumed that I was the person requiring assistance, but fortunately no long term problem for either of us.

I'm not so bad with my own blood.  Having partially severed a finger while cutting meat for our now sadly departed dog I traipsed from the doctor's surgery to the drop in centre and finally to the local hospital in search of medical attention. Accident and emergency sorted it out. 

Reminds me of a long time ago I was in hospital being treated for a nasty case of Weil's disease. My sister and her boyfriend were visiting just as I was having yet another needle shoved into my arm. Her boyfriend had a thing about needles, promptly fainted ripped his head open on the radiator and had to be carried to A&E, luckily just up the corridor.🙂

3 hours ago, spacecadet said:

Those are not even made of metal anymore. So they no longer have to be round- a plastic one won't kill anyone on the way down.

(A circle doesn't have a minor axis. This about it).

The drain covers in the road gutter outside the school were rectangular metal and very heavy. That was around 1958/9. Didn’t realise they had changed.

3 minutes ago, sb photos said:

The drain covers in the road gutter outside the school were rectangular metal and very heavy. That was around 1958/9. Didn’t realise they had changed.

Many newer ones are obviously plastic or some sort of composite, maybe GRP, but the two-part resin isn't too eco-friendly these days.

T'internet says polypropylene.

Couple of days ago, whilst taking photos in Venice, I swung my Canon 5D MkIII over my shoulder and the strap broke. My 70-200mm/F2.8 IS Mk I lens is now beyond repair. Bought it 18 years ago second hand, but still, loved it.  

• Love 1

19 minutes ago, vpics said:

Couple of days ago, whilst taking photos in Venice, I swung my Canon 5D MkIII over my shoulder and the strap broke. My 70-200mm/F2.8 IS Mk I lens is now beyond repair. Bought it 18 years ago second hand, but still, loved it.  

Now that’s a shame!

• Like 1

On 04/03/2022 at 14:07, spacecadet said:

Many newer ones are obviously plastic or some sort of composite, maybe GRP, but the two-part resin isn't too eco-friendly these days.

T'internet says polypropylene.

Maybe not eco friendly but they have the added bonus of preventing the local scroats lifting them and selling for scrap, like they were doing around our way a few years ago..!

16 minutes ago, Vincent Lowe said:

Maybe not eco friendly but they have the added bonus of preventing the local scroats lifting them and selling for scrap, like they were doing around our way a few years ago..!

Is Jeremy Corbyn a suspect?

2 hours ago, vpics said:

Oh my goodness that's awful - hoping it was at the end of your Venice trip rather than the beginning but either way, very upsetting.  Just wondering what strap you had and how it suddenly broke 😔

Carol

Maude, my gray tabby cat that's blind in one eye, went out two nights around and still hasn't returned.  Given that we've had people poisoning feral cats here by throwing poisoned chicken on roofs (what my helper, Luis, believed killed the dead cat he found in my studio), I'm not feeling much hope for her returning safely after two nights out. 

Earlier, my dog tripped Luis and that fall broke a bone in his foot, so he's been off and will be off until the end of the month at least.  His sustitute is a woman I'd met before, who my hotel owner friend gave a good reference for.  She's getting money from the government for taking care of a permanently disabled son or brother, and some additional money from a private charity, according to Luis.

Still on crutches, don't expect that will change anytime soon.   The cat who tripped me still is around.  My senior cat thinks being the only cat is just fine, and that wireless routers were created to serve as warming pads for her.

A half-grown kitten who looks a lot like Maude is casing my house out as a possible home.  My dog thinks two cats are better than three cats.

The more ideal outcome would be Maude finding a nice family, but too many ferals and abandoned cats around as it is. 

With farm sitting comes responsibility. In particular to animals. Especially dogs. So we’re caring for an OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Dog -with stick throwing-) adorable kelpie with boundless energy.

As per instructions, we take him for his daily run next to the ute. Today, sheep are on the road, so we drive slowly. We round the usual bend next to cut down trees. Come out the other side… no dog. First time ever. What happened? Has it hurt himself while jumping the fence? Broken a leg? Being bitten by a snake? I walked around the enclosure, calling to the top of my lungs. Nothing. Fear creeps in. Just in case, we decide to drive back to the farm, and he’s there waiting for us. Perhaps we were going too slowly for him today??

Seriously shaken, we’re glad it’s Happy Hour and pour ourselves a glass of wine. We’re playing a game of dice next to the panoramic window, still downcast, while from the corner of our eyes, we see him jumping the fence and running flat out like a cheetah, disappearing into the distance. Heart attack! Surely it can’t be. Not twice in a day.

Back to the ute, drive around the property, only to find him with another farmer who dropped by to announce that he’ll come tomorrow for shearing nearly 200 sheep. Which he did today.  Now that farmer announced he will come later in the week at night to shoot kangaroos and rabbits in the paddocks around us! The dog being terrified of thunder, we assume it will be the same with gunshots, so he’ll sleep with us. Enough emotion for the day… Who said retirement was boring?

• Love 1

5 hours ago, gvallee said:

With farm sitting comes responsibility. In particular to animals. Especially dogs. So we’re caring for an OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Dog -with stick throwing-) adorable kelpie with boundless energy.

As per instructions, we take him for his daily run next to the ute. Today, sheep are on the road, so we drive slowly. We round the usual bend next to cut down trees. Come out the other side… no dog. First time ever. What happened? Has it hurt himself while jumping the fence? Broken a leg? Being bitten by a snake? I walked around the enclosure, calling to the top of my lungs. Nothing. Fear creeps in. Just in case, we decide to drive back to the farm, and he’s there waiting for us. Perhaps we were going too slowly for him today??

Seriously shaken, we’re glad it’s Happy Hour and pour ourselves a glass of wine. We’re playing a game of dice next to the panoramic window, still downcast, while from the corner of our eyes, we see him jumping the fence and running flat out like a cheetah, disappearing into the distance. Heart attack! Surely it can’t be. Not twice in a day.

Back to the ute, drive around the property, only to find him with another farmer who dropped by to announce that he’ll come tomorrow for shearing nearly 200 sheep. Which he did today.  Now that farmer announced he will come later in the week at night to shoot kangaroos and rabbits in the paddocks around us! The dog being terrified of thunder, we assume it will be the same with gunshots, so he’ll sleep with us. Enough emotion for the day… Who said retirement was boring?

I did not realise that Kangaroos were classed as vermin. Always been under the impression they were protected.

Allan

7 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

I did not realise that Kangaroos were classed as vermin. Always been under the impression they were protected.

Allan

No, they can occur in plagues. They compete with sheep for food. I can sort of understand why they need culling but they were here before the sheep. I hope the farmer misses. 

Why does it conjure in my mind the scene in Crocodile Dundee of the roo shooting back at the bogans 'he's got a gun!!' 😂

M62BP2.jpg

• Love 2

On 08/03/2022 at 18:16, gvallee said:

No, they can occur in plagues. They compete with sheep for food. I can sort of understand why they need culling but they were here before the sheep. I hope the farmer misses. 

Why does it conjure in my mind the scene in Crocodile Dundee of the roo shooting back at the bogans 'he's got a gun!!' 😂

M62BP2.jpg

Reminds me of the wolves in the U.S. who’ve been hunted to near extinction because they kill cattle, sheep, etc. They were here first, too. But wolves can attack people if hungry enough, I don’t think kangaroos do that.

2 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

Reminds me of the wolves in the U.S. who’ve been hunted to near extinction because they kill cattle, sheep, etc. They were here first, too. But wolves can attack people if hungry enough, I don’t think kangaroos do that.

The shooting happened, just like the scene in Croc Dundee, as anticipated. I watched it from my bed! Ute driving through the paddock with a powerful search light and shooter on the roof. Then bang! We had kept the dog for the night with us in the motorhome. For a minute, we thought we had lost it. In 5 square metres! He was no longer on his cushion and nowhere to be seen. Looking for a black dog in pitch black! We finally found him under the farthest corner of the bed, shivering. He was terrified.