Non essential journeys

4 hours ago, spacecadet said:

The UK regulations do not require the work per se to be essential AFAICS. Merely for it to be impossible to do at home.

Not true.That may be the case in England, I couldn't possibly comment; but here in Scotland it's far clearer: "if staff cannot work from home, employers should ask themselves whether their business is "essential" to the fight against coronavirus."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-52017771

Iain appears to be trolling, and I've just bounced into the thread to correct a half-truth and am leaving again.

Edited by Cryptoprocta
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, NYCat said:

I've never heard of such a thing.

:) if only . . . 

DD

• Love 2
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, dustydingo said:

:) if only . . . 

DD

I take pics of places. Geography Photos. eg) Alamy have posted picture requests for usually busy places which are now quiet. 

I am obeying all the rules and advice.

I have not gone out since the rules have been tightened.

I am hoping that I can still do some work, even if it is non-essential, over the coming months. 

The national press report 'confusion' over the rules. 

Edited by geogphotos

11 minutes ago, Inchiquin said:

Because:

1. If you do it, others will think it's OK for them to do it, and if one of them is infected someone could die.

2. If you break down, have an accident, skid off the road or encounter any other mishap that prevents an emergency vehicle from getting through, someone could die.

3. If, following (1) above, too many others follow your example and cause congestion, thus preventing an emergency vehicle from getting through, someone could die.

It's totally selfish, and in these extraordinary times the last thing we need is selfishness.

Incidentally, if the coast was only 2 miles from my home I would be walking there every day!

Alan

Yes we are very lucky with coast, river estuary, heathland and woods all around us on this peninsula.

Walking is the main pastime I'd say. 

6 minutes ago, Alex Ramsay said:

Living deep in the country I have had exactly this dilemma, and eventually came to much the same conclusions as Alan above. I've blogged about it here - https://alexanderramsay.wordpress.com/

Alex

Good blog and I also liked the Brexit one! 

The dilemma is more acute because we are photographers. I would only ever follow police advice and thanks to you and others for your thoughts and insights. 

When I said that I am hoping to do some photography in the coming months - that is entirely dependent on police and government rules. I just hope that the situation improves and the rules can be relaxed.

Edited by geogphotos
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Cryptoprocta said:

Not true.That may be the case in England, I couldn't possibly comment; but here in Scotland it's far clearer: "if staff cannot work from home, employers should ask themselves whether their business is "essential" to the fight against coronavirus."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-52017771

Sorry but you cannot say my statement is untrue. How Scotland chooses to interpret the language is up to it as health is a devolved matter.. The bold text isn't what the government advice says.

I'll repeat it for the last time. The travel has to be essential. The work doesn't. AFAICS some police forces are misinterpreting it.

The situation is changing rapidly. Last week the Nat Trust were opening all their gardens to the public for free. People were being encouraged to visit the countryside.

Then there were all those pictures of Mother's Day and overcrowded beaches, parks, gardens, and Monday evening saw the 'lockdown' announcement

Maybe things will get better in a few weeks.

No wonder that people are confused ( a better word than 'selfish' I'd say)

This was only a week ago:

I0000WWbBoym7es4.jpg

Edited by geogphotos

14 hours ago, geogphotos said:

I read today that a woman was fined for sitting next to her husband in a car on his essential journey.

That's just plain daft if they live together and aren't normally isolating from one-another.

Mark

44 minutes ago, LawrensonPhoto said:

Just been browsing your website, you might like to fix some of the print purchases as I can buy several of them for £0.00 plus £7.50 postage!

Subtotal
£0.00
Tax
-
Shipping
£7.50
Total
See Villa Fracanzan, Italy.
There may be others

Thanks, that'll give me something to do!

44 minutes ago, M.Chapman said:

That's just plain daft if they live together and aren't normally isolating from one-another.

Mark

Daft it may be but one thing you should never do is argue with the Guardia Civil. It is as likely to be as pointless as this entire thread and will probably have much more serious consequences. 

• Love 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Ian, I get it. What you want to do hurts nobody. But the government cannot make hundreds of exceptions. They have to make the rules as short as possible and understandable to all.

This is a case of the few rotten apples spoiling the barrel.  The police are probably stressed, overworked, and are doing their best to try to keep people at home. They don’t have the patience to stop 50 people in a day and listen to their reasoning, even if it is valid. And many of them are already seeing compatriots falling ill through doing their jobs. So they might be testy.

The more people on the roads, streets, driving around encourages Wilbur, who has a mild case but feels fine and is going stir crazy to think going out to a lonely place won’t hurt anything. 
But Wilbur might not have your intellect, and he might pick up an interesting stone to look over, then drop it.  An hour later, Willamina, who also is seeing a few people driving past her home, out and about, decides she’ll go to the lonely place for her sanity. She sees the rock and not only thinks it’s interesting, but takes it home to add to her rock collection. She hands it to her infirm father to look over. After all, it’s just a rock from out in the lonely.

Some people are one brick short of a load and do things you, Ian, would not do. Because of those, there has to be broad rules. The careful people pay the price, but careful people make mistakes, too.

Betty

+1

A couple of points: each policeman is not interpreting the remarks of the PM themselves. They do what the captain of their unit tells them to. It's a military approach. And like many others, cops are out there in front taking risks. That's what they do.

Ian is trying to do the right thing. He only asked us all for clarification. We would all like to continue working, no? 

Edo

• Love 1

And in other news, police in Suffolk are looking for a man the local media are now terming "The Outlaw". He is considered to be extremely dangerous and should not be approached as he is likely to start an argument that has no resolution and he may be unknowingly infected with Covid-19. He can be easily recognised as he may be wearing only women's underwear (believed to be his wife's knickers) and some strange headgear. He is likely to be carrying a camera. He has been recently sighted in the vicinity of village churches throughout the region. It is not known if this is for religious reasons. If you see him, you should probably hide as there is no chance of getting through to the police who are completely overwhelmed trying to keep up with the legislation and controlling others like The Outlaw.

Edited by MDM
  • Love 1

11 minutes ago, MDM said:

Daft it may be but one thing you should never do is argue with the Guardia Civil. It is as likely to be as pointless as this entire thread and will probably have much more serious consequences. 

Arguing with Guardia Civil maybe pointless, but I don't think this thread is. As a result of reading it my wife and I are further modifying our activities. We were going to walk from our house across open country to another village and back today, taking a picnic with us. But as a result of the posts here, we'll just walk around our own village and have our picnic when we get back. It's useful seeing the range of perspectives, some of which I hadn't thought of.

Mark

• Love 1

1 minute ago, M.Chapman said:

Arguing with Guardia Civil maybe pointless, but I don't think this thread is. As a result of reading it my wife and I are further modifying our activities. We were going to walk from our house across open country to another village and back today, taking a picnic with us. But as a result of the posts here, we'll just walk around our own village and have our picnic when we get back. It's useful seeing the range of perspectives, some of which I hadn't thought of.

Mark

Exactly.

What really is pointless is writing on a thread to say that it is pointless.  

9 minutes ago, MDM said:

And in other news, police in Suffolk are looking for a man the local media are now terming "The Outlaw". He is considered to be extremely dangerous and should not be approached as he is likely to start an argument that has no resolution and he may be unknowingly infected with Covid-19. He can be easily recognised as he may be wearing only women's underwear (believed to be his wife's knickers) and some strange headgear. He is likely to be carrying a camera. He has been recently sighted in the vicinity of village churches throughout the region. It is not known if this is for religious reasons. If you see him, you should probably hide as there is no chance of getting through to the police who are completely overwhelmed trying to keep up with the legislation and controlling others like The Outlaw.

This morning I have been mostly photographing Ramsholt church. Which was actually locked so the Outlaw couldn't nick anything

And here is a gift to anybody interested in Suffolk churches. Simon Knott's fantastic website:

http://www.suffolkchurches.co.uk/ramsholt.htm

Edited by geogphotos

9 minutes ago, M.Chapman said:

Mark

All this information is out there and easily understood by anybody with average intelligence (and you are clearly well above average in that department). The pointlessness is that it is not going to change anything at the moment, least of all Ian's mind. 

This is the time of Covid-19. Imagine for a second that you are one of the really unfortunate ones who develop this to a critical degree. Would you really want to spend your last days arguing over this or anything else that in the greater scheme of things is completely trivial? Time for some fun guys.

Edited by MDM

13 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

+1

A couple of points: each policeman is not interpreting the remarks of the PM themselves. They do what the captain of their unit tells them to. It's a military approach. And like many others, cops are out there in front taking risks. That's what they do.

Ian is trying to do the right thing. He only asked us all for clarification. We would all like to continue working, no? 

Edo

Thanks Edo and Betty. You have it spot on! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MDM said:

All this information is out there and easily understood by anybody with average intelligence (and you are clearly well above average in that department). The pointlessness is that it is not going to change anything at the moment, least of all Ian's mind. 

This is the time of Covid-19. Imagine for a second that you are one of the really unfortunate ones who develop this to a critical degree. Would you really want to spend your last days arguing over this or anything else that in the greater scheme of things is completely trivial? Time for some fun guys.

Please don't assume that you can make character assessments about me. Thanks.

Whoa people!

Lets' all step back from this a moment and take a couple of deep breaths before this thread is shut down by the moderators.

Allan

• Like 1