Non essential journeys

Just now, Thyrsis said:

Blinkered, selfish, ******

This is the biggest ‘thing’ that has happened in our life time. 

I want my son in law to be safe patrolling the streets of London. I want a future for my children and my grandchildren.

This is not about me so I am doing what is right for them. 

What you are doing is all about you. 

Righto. 

1 minute ago, Thyrsis said:

Blinkered, selfish, ******

This is the biggest ‘thing’ that has happened in our life time. 

I want my son in law to be safe patrolling the streets of London. I want a future for my children and my grandchildren.

This is not about me so I am doing what is right for them. 

What you are doing is all about you. 

My daughters partner is also a London 'copper'

• Love 1
  • Like 2
  • Dislike 1

2 minutes ago, BobD said:

My daughters partner is also a London 'copper'

Yeah well obviously I am out to kill all of them , health workers, angels and babies.

Baby seals too.

Sheesh.

Edited by geogphotos
  • Like 1
  • Dislike 4

1 minute ago, geogphotos said:

Yeah well obviously I am out to kill all of them , health workers, angels and babies.

Sheesh.

I don't understand the connection, I was just stating a fact.

You are now dragging your own thread down to a farce.

• Like 1

Just now, BobD said:

I don't understand the connection, I was just stating a fact.

You are now dragging your own thread down to a farce.

3 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

Baby seals too.

Sheesh.

Ian has been drowning his sorrows too much maybe. I suggest we all leave him to sleep it off !🤬🤬

2 minutes ago, Thyrsis said:

Ian has been drowning his sorrows too much maybe. I suggest we all leave him to sleep it off !🤬🤬

Please do.

I always love these 'we all' suggestions. 

Edited by geogphotos

I'll just say this is the best explanation I've seen...

https://thespinoff.co.nz/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/Covid-19-Transmission-graphic-01.gif?fbclid=IwAR1zqOwKIigqBReBEHUVY3WUir4PTxVvZIE5SzjZy379LG5tl62lNL3GMlM

The virus doesn't move. People move. Therefore halt movement = halt the virus.

Phil

• Love 1
  • Like 4

11 minutes ago, Phil Crean said:

I'll just say this is the best explanation I've seen...

https://thespinoff.co.nz/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/Covid-19-Transmission-graphic-01.gif?fbclid=IwAR1zqOwKIigqBReBEHUVY3WUir4PTxVvZIE5SzjZy379LG5tl62lNL3GMlM

The virus doesn't move. People move. Therefore halt movement = halt the virus.

Phil

Sure, but movement without interacting with other people does not cause that. Driving to stand and look out to sea or stand in a rural churchyard does not involve any interaction.

Riding a cycle to buy eggs might sound more virtuous than driving to photograph a church but both involve movement.  

Too much emotion. 

But I do worry about the police taking on powers to stop and ask people what they are doing. 

What until they tell you to stop photographing, 

Edited by geogphotos

36 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

It became a farce about three pages back.

It became a farce at the outset. This started, and remains, a pointless argument against a simple instruction.
Just do as you're told, stay home and stop wasting everyone's time with endless point scoring.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, TeeCee said:

It became a farce at the outset. This started, and remains, a pointless argument against a simple instruction.
Just do as you're told, stay home and stop wasting everyone's time with endless point scoring.

I disagree. 

You are entitled to your opinion.

11 minutes ago, Normspics said:

@geogphotos  The opinion is stay the f**k at home

Tell TeeCee with his pics from Sunday 22nd March on a crowded beach who clearly did not stay at home even when asked to do so.

Click on my blue link as a comparison. 

Photography is still possible in these dark days. Or should be if we don't lock ourselves down for no reason.

Travelling safely to do our job without affecting anybody else - what is the problem?

Edited by geogphotos

10 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

Tell TeeCee with his pics from Sunday 22nd March on a crowded beach who clearly did not stay at home even when asked to do so.

Click on my blue link as a comparison. 

Photography is still possible in these dark days. Or should be if we don't lock ourselves down for no reason.

Travelling safely to do our job without affecting anybody else - what is the problem?

My daily exercise, I live a few minutes walk from the seafront. Kept my distance too, didn't need to go onto the beach. Again, this entire thread is purely an exercise in creating a pointless argument.

• Love 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, NYCat said:

Does reading this thread count as a self-isolation activity?

Paulette

Sure you don’t mean a self-flaggelation activity? How utterly utterly utterly pointless.

Hey anybody actually got Covid-19 yet? 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, geogphotos said:

Bob, all I asked about is the REASONING for this. I am not challenging it. 

And to be honest all that has come back is heaps of emotion. I understand and share the emotion but would still like to know the justification as to how restricting access to the countryside saves lives. I would think quite likely it will help keep people sane and save lives.

Ian, I get it. What you want to do hurts nobody. But the government cannot make hundreds of exceptions. They have to make the rules as short as possible and understandable to all.

This is a case of the few rotten apples spoiling the barrel.  The police are probably stressed, overworked, and are doing their best to try to keep people at home. They don’t have the patience to stop 50 people in a day and listen to their reasoning, even if it is valid. And many of them are already seeing compatriots falling ill through doing their jobs. So they might be testy.

The more people on the roads, streets, driving around encourages Wilbur, who has a mild case but feels fine and is going stir crazy to think going out to a lonely place won’t hurt anything. 
But Wilbur might not have your intellect, and he might pick up an interesting stone to look over, then drop it.  An hour later, Willamina, who also is seeing a few people driving past her home, out and about, decides she’ll go to the lonely place for her sanity. She sees the rock and not only thinks it’s interesting, but takes it home to add to her rock collection. She hands it to her infirm father to look over. After all, it’s just a rock from out in the lonely.

Some people are one brick short of a load and do things you, Ian, would not do. Because of those, there has to be broad rules. The careful people pay the price, but careful people make mistakes, too.

Betty

Edited by Betty LaRue
  • Love 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, Shergar said:

Does she know Ian ???

Do you mean "Does she know, Ian?" or "Does she know Ian?" Maybe both?

Edited by MDM
  • Love 1

Ian, The biggest problem is what we don't know . If they are right about coronavirus aerosol transmission when they say it can stay  in the air for up to 2hrs. You have no idea who was at the church 2 hrs before you, who was riding their bike to the coast an hour before you did and even if you wiped the pump handle you have no idea what's in the air from the car driver that was at the pump before you. And that and that alone should answer you question how does it save lives. And until we know you should stay in. 

"The reason the measles is so, well, viral, is that the microbe is so small and hardy that it is able to stay suspended in the air where an infected person coughed or sneezed for up to two hours, making it one of the only viruses that can exist as a true aerosol.

Now there are conflicting reports on whether the new coronavirus can. The studies suggesting that it can be aerosolized are only preliminary, and other research contradicts it, finding no aerosolized coronavirus particles in the hospital rooms of Covid-19 patients".

Edited by Shergar
  • Like 3
  • Dislike 1