Non essential journeys

1 minute ago, geogphotos said:

Yes Bob and I am more than willing to do my bit.

All I am asking for is an explanation as to how it makes the slightest difference.

Please do go ahead and offer that rather than this emotional stuff. 

It probably and hopefully wouldn't make a difference but how many people will say that and it will make a difference. 

29 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

In fact our regulations are exactly the same. But we don't have the military on patrol. A different approach. And no identity cards.

No they're not exactly the same...

We cannot go out except for essential reasons as I said... ie: no going out for exercise..no driving to a destination cause we're bored... no going out in pairs or family groups...

Phil

2 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

I edited the post but if he's not breaking the law how can he be fined?

Because different police forces are interpreting the rules differently. These are on the spot fines, would you really want to go through an appeal process to prove a point.

1 minute ago, Thyrsis said:

Yes it is! It’s non essential travel. If you walk to that rural church from home it’s exercise so that’s allowable. 

For example: Eggs are hard to find  here at the moment and my Police Officer son in law eats a lot of them.  If we had driven there with some eggs that would have been non essential travel and not acceptable. So we cycled a round trip of 10 miles, as our allowable daily exercise, and left them on the doorstep.

Okay, let's accept your definition of nonessential travel.

Can you explain how that saves lives. I am being straight, I just don't understand how it does. What about you fell off your bike and needed an ambulance?

1 minute ago, Thyrsis said:

Yes it is! It’s non essential travel.

See my post about the conflation between the travel and the work. Geog travels to work. His work is photographing churches. Non-essential travel is not allowed but travel to work is. The work does not have to be essential.

1 minute ago, spacecadet said:

See my post about the conflation between the travel and the work. Geog travels to work. His work is photographing churches. Non-essential travel is not allowed but travel to work is. The work does not have to be essential.

Apparently cycling to get eggs is essential.

• Love 1

Just now, BobD said:

Because different police forces are interpreting the rules differently. These are on the spot fines, would you really want to go through an appeal process to prove a point.

There is one law. It is not "different". Of course I would challenge it.

8 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

He's not "saying" it's his work.

It IS his work and he can prove it.

But it's not essential work... nobody depends on it for their life...

That is what is meant by essential,...

Things like food, medicine, sanitation, caring for vulnerable people...These are essential...

Phil

• Love 1

2 minutes ago, Phil Crean said:

Things like food, medicine, sanitation, caring for vulnerable people...These are essential...

Phil

The UK regulations do not require the work per se to be essential AFAICS. Merely for it to be impossible to do at home.

Edited by spacecadet

3 minutes ago, Phil Crean said:

Phil

I am not saying that it is essential.

I am asking why it matters if drive two miles to the coast, or 30 lies to a remote rural church.

And why I should risk being stopped by the police.

And if I stay at home how it saves a life.

Edited by geogphotos

Just now, spacecadet said:

The UK regulations do not require the work to be essential AFAICS. Merely for it to be impossible to do at home.

That is the big problem with the UK regs....

it seems they have learned nothing from the last three months...

Phil

Just now, geogphotos said:

I am asking why it matters if drive two miles to the coast, or 30 lies to a remote rural church.

Do you know 100% for sure that you are not carrying the virus?

If not then act as if you were a carrier and don't want to spread it...

Phil

2 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

Apparently cycling to get eggs is essential.

No it isn’t!

We didn’t ‘cycle to get eggs’. We cycled for exercise. But we were able to drop some eggs off on the way. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

Yes Bob and I am more than willing to do my bit.

All I am asking for is an explanation as to how it makes the slightest difference.

Please do go ahead and offer that rather than this emotional stuff. 

Of course, you're absolutely right, there are many non sequiturs in the lockdown rules,  and your presence in a church yard won't present any risk to anyone - providing you touch nothing. However, emergency legislation will always be of a broad and sweeping nature and so, to put it bluntly, this is a time to simply do what you're told rather than question the detail.

Surely the objective is of primary importance - flattening the curve to give the NHS a chance - and not bickering about the ways and whens and wherefores?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Phil Crean said:

Do you know 100% for sure that you are not carrying the virus?

If not then act as if you were a carrier and don't want to spread it...

Phil

I will sit in my car, drive to an empty coastline or an empty church in the middle of deep rural East Anglia.

I will not see a soul and will drive home again. 

1 minute ago, TeeCee said:

Of course, you're absolutely right, there are many non sequiturs in the lockdown rules,  and your presence in a church yard won't present any risk to anyone - providing you touch nothing. However, emergency legislation will always be of a broad and sweeping nature and so, to put it bluntly, this is a time to simply do what you're told rather than question the detail.

Surely the objective is of primary importance - flattening the curve to give the NHS a chance - and not bickering about the ways and whens and wherefores?

I am not bickering. 

8 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

The law is a broad brush. But for you to be excepted, others would have to be.

I think you have the work defence, but you do run that risk given the stated policy of various forces. As I said originally, you could ask about your own force's policy.

Unfortunately Suffolk Police have this

https://www.suffolk.police.uk/news/latest-news/16-03-2020/suffolk-chief-urges-compliance-new-government-measures

"travelling to and from essential work."

which isn't what the government guidance says. As I said confusing essential travel with "essential work" which they seem to have invented.

Edited by spacecadet

2 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

I will sit in my car, drive to an empty coastline or an empty church in the middle of deep rural East Anglia.

I will not see a soul and will drive home again. 

how did the gas / petrol get into your car?

1 minute ago, BobD said:

This is something that could never be known, who knows it could even be your own.

Eh?

Ian is observing the social distancing rules. Outside Ipswich everyone in Suffolk is probably doing that anyway.😀