Non essential journeys

I'm a bit puzzled by this. I can understand that National Parks are twitchy but do not fully understand why the police are so upset that a relatively small number of people have driven there to exercise.

One news report said that if their cars broke down it would place a burden etc. If my car broke down I would phone the RAC who presumably are having a quieter time that normal though no doubt with some staff off sick - but surely not a police matter as I would just have to wait longer.

On a personal level all I want to do is drive out to rural churches and take photos get back in car and repeat with next church. Is this now a punishable offence? 

Genuine question no loaded undertones.

Edited by geogphotos

18 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

On a personal level all I want to do is drive out to rural churches and take photos get back in car. Repeat. Is this now a punishable offence? 

The way some police forces are interpreting the lockdown regulations on non-essential travel, yes. Some are setting up road blocks and using drones.

It is your work so you may have that argument, but if the police disagree they can arrest you and drag you home, so beware. Perhaps you can find out your own force's approach.

I think they're confusing being able to go to work if you can't do it from home (which is allowed) and non-essential travel (which isn't). They seem to be saying that the work itself has to be essential, which I think is incorrect. It is worrying.

Edited by spacecadet
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

The way some police forces are interpreting the lockdown regulations on non-essential travel, yes. Some are setting up road blocks and using drones.

It is your work so you may have that argument, but if the police disagree they can arrest you and drag you home, so beware. Perhaps you can find out your own force's approach.

It is worrying.

I was asking about the reasoning. Whether I stay at home or drive, say 30 miles, to photograph a church and then drive back home seems to make no material difference as far as I can see. 

Am prepared to obey if I must be locked into the wonderful village of Shottisham and immediate environs but would like to know the reasons.

5 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

I was asking about the reasoning. Whether I stay at home or drive, say 30 miles, to photograph a church and then drive back home seems to make no material difference as far as I can see. 

Am prepared to obey if I must be locked into the wonderful village of Shottisham and immediate environs but would like to know the reasons.

Your reasoning is sound. But that may not stop you being ordered home or arrested if the police are misinterpreting the regulations. Saying it is your work (you can hardly photograph churches at home) should be the trump card but who knows. In your place I would continue.

Edited by spacecadet

At least here in Tenerife, Spain, we know exactly what is meant...

Essential travel is;

Going to the supermarket, pharmacy, medical centre, to work ,where it is permitted, to home, to assist vulnerable people.

Fines are being handed out and one guy from Santa Cruz just got a 6 month jail sentence for repeat offending.

I've been stopped twice whilst taking out the bins, and going to the supermarket, both essential journeys! 

We all here wish that the UK government were as clear.

Phil

• Like 1

Just now, Phil Crean said:

At least here in Tenerife, Spain, we know exactly what is meant...

Essential travel is;

Going to the supermarket, pharmacy, medical centre, to work ,where it is permitted, to home, to assist vulnerable people.

Fines are being handed out and one guy from Santa Cruz just got a 6 month jail sentence for repeat offending.

I've been stopped twice whilst taking out the bins, and going to the supermarket, both essential journeys! 

We all here wish that the UK government were as clear.

Phil

I read today that a woman was fined for sitting next to her husband in a car on his essential journey.

Just now, geogphotos said:

I read today that a woman was fined for sitting next to her husband in a car on his essential journey.

Yes that could be... if two in a car then 1 in front 1 in back behind passenger seat to maintain max separation...

Sounds daft for partners who are otherwise getting as close as they want in the home, but that's the law outside and no exceptions...

Phil

sadly i think we all get penalized for fact people seem to be unable to make distinctions.  in Montreal up to 3 days ago they had left park areas open, so my sister could go play ball with my Nephew, allowed as per guidelines (exercise and live at same address, with lots of space from anyone else) , but then you have impromptu games with young people, so now field has been locked off.  

1 minute ago, meanderingemu said:

sadly i think we all get penalized for fact people seem to be unable to make distinctions.  in Montreal up to 3 days ago they had left park areas open, so my sister could go play ball with my Nephew, allowed as per guidelines (exercise and live at same address, with lots of space from anyone else) , but then you have impromptu games with young people, so now field has been locked off.  

I can understand that.

But I live in an extremely rural area two miles from the coast. I can drive there and get some fresh salty air. 

Is that necessary. No.

The chance of being stopped by the police is zero.  

This is an example only. 

4 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

I can understand that.

But I live in an extremely rural area two miles from the coast. I can drive there and get some fresh salty air. 

Is that necessary. No.

This is an example only. 

They thought that in Cornwall . https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornwall-news/police-west-cornwall-pull-over-3985161

Just now, geogphotos said:

I can understand that.

Is that necessary. No.

This is an example only. 

i understand, but then you hear of line ups in park, and people getting lost on hikes requiring SAR resources.    I just don't know why it's so hard for people to use common sense. and sadly you a reasonable person end up paying because of them

we have a required quarantine for people coming back into country, and you had people stopping to shop on way home.  If they think you are a danger, why did you think it's OK to go into a shop?  Now they had to clarify, it's mandatory, and police will check on you, and some massive fines for non compliance.....

The police are enforcing the wishes of the government because they believe if people stay home that will help contain the virus and reduce the amount of deaths. Come on, its so easy for it to get out of control you don't need me telling you that. The people have been asked to stay at home done deal! you are going to have to wait for the finale answer on how many lives did it save, no one knows yet.  When this is over and done with the Question will be who did too much and who did too little . What side are you on?

Edited by Shergar
  • Love 2

38 minutes ago, meanderingemu said:

Have you seen those videos out of India showing police hitting people with sticks if they were out on the streets? Hopefully it won't come to that. Ouch!

Keep on rockin' (with some common sense) in the free world...

• Love 1

4 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

Have you seen those videos out of India showing police hitting people with sticks if they were out on the streets? Hopefully it won't come to that. Ouch!

Keep on rockin' (with some common sense) in the free world...

no i hadn't, trying to limit my intake of news the 15 minutes headlines, and this forum, as for me the whole following CV has been a major anxiety source for 6-8 weeks

5 minutes ago, meanderingemu said:

no i hadn't, trying to limit my intake of news the 15 minutes headlines, and this forum, as for me the whole following CV has been a major anxiety source for 6-8 weeks

Here you go:

https://nationalpost.com/news/world/covid-19-india-this-is-how-local-police-punish-anyone-who-violates-nations-21-day-lockdown

I can understand that with 1.3 billion people, overcrowded cities, homelessness, etc. India is a virus bomb waiting to go off and so the laws have to be enforced. However, this kind of thing has no place in a country that calls itself a democracy.

Edited by John Mitchell
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

In India, Police use action first before even listening to the person. This is in most circumstances and more during protest , lock down etc. Luckily UK is far better place where you get a chance to reason your travel.

Just now, Gnans said:

In India, Police use action first before even listening to the person. This is in most circumstances and more during protest , lock down etc. Luckily UK is far better place where you get a chance to reason your travel.

Those are bullies with uniforms, not legitimate police officers IMO.

• Love 1

1 minute ago, John Mitchell said:

Those are bullies with uniforms, not legitimate police officers IMO.

Unfortunately that is the reality. These actions are more by lower grade officers who are annoyed by people who do not respect lock down.

There are a quite number of good police who talk and try to explain things to people. Police and fireman perform a dance explaining the importance of hand wash to avoid virus spread (sorry no sub titles)

31 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

My question is over what has been gained by stopping those people - how has it helped save lives?

17 minutes ago, Shergar said:

The police are enforcing the wishes of the government because they believe if people stay home that will help contain the virus and reduce the amount of deaths. Come on, its so easy for it to get out of control you don't need me telling you that. The people have been asked to stay at home done deal! you are going to have to wait for the finale answer on how many lives did it save, no one knows yet.  When this is over and done with the Question will be who did too much and who did too little . What side are you on?

It is not just about deaths - it is also about preventing the health service from being overrun. I don't like it but I accept it. Unfortunately laws have to be made to deal with the lowest common denominator and if people insist on flouting the request not to gather in public then they have to legislate for that. If people used common sense it wouldn't  be necessary. Common sense would say that Ian's drive to the coast would be indeed totally harmless to anyone but the problem is that everyone will do the same as has happened in many rural areas. 

• Love 3
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, MDM said:

It is not just about deaths - it is also about preventing the health service from being overrun. I don't like it but I accept it. Unfortunately laws have to be made to deal with the lowest common denominator and if people insist on flouting the request not to gather in public then they have to legislate for that. If people used common sense it wouldn't  be necessary. Common sense would say that Ian's drive to the coast would be indeed totally harmless to anyone but the problem is that everyone will do the same as has happened in many rural areas. 

But everyone is not doing the same around here. It's the same as normal except that fewer people are on the roads because of what you say above. 

If me not going to the coast saves lives I will certainly stop. I am trying to understand the connection. 

Just now, Nick Hatton said:

Sadly the bottom line is that you could have the virus on your hands drive to your church 30 mile away open the door and hey presto virus has spread to that village

And if I only stand in the churchyard take a few snaps and get back into the car?

• Love 1