Non essential journeys

2 minutes ago, Nick Hatton said:

That would be fine  but the next guy might think I will just have a peep inside.

Sorry that doesn't make any sense. To me.

Edited by geogphotos

8 minutes ago, MDM said:

It is not just about deaths - it is also about preventing the health service from being overrun. 

This is the whole point, I’m sure you are all hearing the new phrase “Flattening the curve”,  and that is what staying home is trying to do, look at Italy and Spain, they are beyond what the capacity of their health service can cope with. Ian, your project is totally reasonable in normal circumstances, it just means you need to stay home and everyone else to try and do your bit for this dreadful virus. Ian you are sacrificing your church project for a few weeks or months in order to help save lives. If one person sees you doing traveling then another will want to and another.......... You are safe at home and so are others.

• Love 1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Phil Crean said:

At least here in Tenerife, Spain, we know exactly what is meant...

Essential travel is;

Going to the supermarket, pharmacy, medical centre, to work ,where it is permitted, to home, to assist vulnerable people.

Fines are being handed out and one guy from Santa Cruz just got a 6 month jail sentence for repeat offending.

I've been stopped twice whilst taking out the bins, and going to the supermarket, both essential journeys! 

We all here wish that the UK government were as clear.

Phil

In fact our regulations are exactly the same. But we don't have the military on patrol. A different approach. And no identity cards.

Edited by spacecadet

3 minutes ago, Gordon said:

It clearly states NON ESSENTIAL TRAVEL !!!!!!!!!!!!!

The police have better things to do than stopping cars of photographers

who feel that taking a photo of a church that has  been there for 500 years is  essential or urgent

EVERYONE has a part to play 

By just staying at home & limiting movement to shopping and local exercise

helps take the pressure of the over stretched services by following the new law

The man from the RAC has better things to do than sort a car out for someone who just wants to take a "pic"

That means he cant help an emergency worker or NHS staff

Please see tonight's news

Its no a national holiday

Yes I feel very strongly about this ,my daughter is on the front line of the  NHS   

they have been working flat out for weeks to prepare to save as many lives as possible

they are already stretched --and the first wave has not even hit yet

Gordon 

Gordon I feel your passion. 

But don't understand your connections.  

Edited by geogphotos

8 minutes ago, Gordon said:

It clearly states NON ESSENTIAL TRAVEL !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Er, no.

You are clearly involved but take a step back.

Geog is taking photographs.

That is his work.

He cannot photograph mediaeval churches from home.

As some police forces are, you are conflating the travel with the work. The regulations do not require the work to be essential, only the travel to it.

from the advice:

Only go outside for food, health reasons or work (but only if you cannot work from home)

Edited by spacecadet

Just now, meanderingemu said:

but he won't get the Virus from Geog since he didn't touch anything, and coughed in his sleve.  

I'm the guy standing in the churchyard FAR away. The churches want to stay open for prayer and visits especially given ...etc etc. 

The churches are open. I don't make them open by driving there.

1 minute ago, geogphotos said:

Gordon I feel your passion. 

Thanks 

but please stay at home & do what we should do to save lives

But

Like us all we can take this time to sort out our photos

check the rubbish captions we put on pics in a hurry years ago on that great pic that we cant understand why no one has ever viewed  let alone  Zoomed in

Great time to make those back ups

and yes plan your next project

Stay Safe

Gordon

• Like 1

Just now, Gordon said:

Thanks 

but please stay at home & do what we should do to save lives

But

Like us all we can take this time to sort out our photos

check the rubbish captions we put on pics in a hurry years ago on that great pic that we cant understand why no one has ever viewed  let alone  Zoomed in

Great time to make those back ups

and yes plan your next project

Stay Safe

Gordon

what you should do has not changed in the last 4-6 weeks.  Please confirm that you  were socially isolating then.  

1 minute ago, meanderingemu said:

what you should do has not changed in the last 4-6 weeks.  Please confirm that you  were socially isolating then.  

Yes I have

My father in law is  93 year old with dementia  & mother in law has blood cancer

if they get this they haven't a chance 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, John Morrison said:

Nope... just a difference of opinion... plus an existential threat to humanity...

Please expand.

Whether or not I drive two miles to the coast and the link with a 93 year old person with dementia etc

Edited by geogphotos

Ian, I would just appeal to your better judgement.

I know you are probably creating a record of the churches you are photographing but they will still be there when all this blows over.

Many people can take a camera out and say it is their work but on the off chance of making a few dollars by selling one on Alamy in the next few months is it really worth it?

Say you get stopped and issued a £60 fine (£30 if you pay in 14 days), that would knock a chunk out of any potential earnings.

We must all do our bit.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BobD said:

I know you are probably creating a record of the churches you are photographing but they will still be there when all this blows over.

Many people can take a camera out and say it is their work but on the off chance of making a few dollars by selling one on Alamy in the next few months is it really worth it?

Say you get stopped and issued a £60 fine (£30 if you pay in 14 days), that would knock a chunk out of any potential earnings.

We must all do our bit.

He's not "saying" it's his work.

It IS his work and he can prove it.

Edited by spacecadet

Just now, BobD said:

We must all do our bit.

Yes Bob and I am more than willing to do my bit.

All I am asking for is an explanation as to how it makes the slightest difference.

Please do go ahead and offer that rather than this emotional stuff. 

2 hours ago, geogphotos said:

I'm a bit puzzled by this. I can understand that National Parks are twitchy but do not fully understand why the police are so upset that a relatively small number

One news report said that if their cars broke down it would place a burden etc. If my car broke down I would phone the RAC

2 hours ago, geogphotos said:

On a personal level all I want to do is drive out to rural churches and take photos get back in car and repeat with next church. Is this now a punishable offence? 

Genuine question no loaded undertones.

Yes it is! It’s non essential travel. If you walk to that rural church from home it’s exercise so that’s allowable. 

For example: Eggs are hard to find  here at the moment and my Police Officer son in law eats a lot of them.  If we had driven there with some eggs that would have been non essential travel and not acceptable. So we cycled a round trip of 10 miles, as our allowable daily exercise, and left them on the doorstep.

• Like 1