Non essential journeys

Just now, BobD said:

It would have to be looked at how much power the government have handed the police to determine what is and what isn't allowed.

No, it wouldn't The police enforce the law as enacted. They don't decide what it is.

The problem is that they haven't had enough time to study the regulations, hence the confusion between essential travel, which is in the regulations, and essential work, which isn't.

6 minutes ago, BobD said:

This is something that could never be known, who knows it could even be your own.

Sorry Bob but I am not risking lives being out on my own a couple of miles or even 30 miles from home sitting in my car.

“Under strict measures to fight the coronavirus outbreak announced by Prime Minister Boris Johnson earlier this week, people are only allowed to leave the house for specific reasons:

• Shopping for "basic necessities", as infrequently as possible
  • One form of exercise a day such as a run, walk or cycle
  • Medical reasons, to provide care, or to help a vulnerable person
  • Travelling to and from work, but only if it is "absolutely necessary" and cannot be done from home”

Travelling by car to photograph churches is not ‘absolutely necessary’. 

• Love 1
  • Like 7

3 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

I am not bickering. 

Questioning may have been a better choice of phrase then, but the point remains the same. Our local Chief Constable was on TV last night, talking on this very point of people endlessly justifying their defiance when faced with this ruling. He said, "It's simply against the spirit of the thing - the purpose is to get people to stay at home".

• Like 1

1 minute ago, John Morrison said:

The real tragedy is that I can't just nip out to the shops for another bag of popcorn...

At least its a civilised debate rather than attacking people.

3 minutes ago, TeeCee said:

Questioning may have been a better choice of phrase then, but the point remains the same. Our local Chief Constable was on TV last night, talking on this very point of people endlessly justifying their defiance when faced with this ruling. He said, "It's simply against the spirit of the thing - the purpose is to get people to stay at home".

I am not being defiant.

1 minute ago, Thyrsis said:
  • Travelling to and from work, but only if it is "absolutely necessary" and cannot be done from home”

Travelling by car to photograph churches is not ‘absolutely necessary’. 

No.

To repeat, the work does not have to be necessary. The travel does. The government has not defined which types of work are necessary.

Howabout getting some van driving work doing home delivery ?

I've lost a load of my near future work, but have got plenty of van delivery work lined up (which I've done before). This will get me out and about, with the opportunity to take photographs, and get paid (even if the stock pictures earn zilch !).

• Love 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, geogphotos said:

So now that I have petrol I want to drive two miles to the coast for a walk. 

Clearly if I cycle and buy eggs thats cool.

Hmmm that would depend on how many bicycles are traveling on the road and what direction and speed they are traveling at compared to you.

For me the question is purely theoretical.  I'm in a high risk group (as is my wife), I don't need to make a living from my Alamy work, so the problem becomes moot.

However, I know what I wouldn't do.  I wouldn't persistently argue my case on an open forum and establish premeditation should I then travel out and run afoul of the law.

1 minute ago, Shergar said:

Hmmm that would depend on how many bicycles are traveling on the road and what direction and speed they are traveling at compared to you.

What happens if I am on my bike with the eggs and fall over?