Non essential journeys

1 hour ago, meanderingemu said:

be thankful you are only at this level, Quebec we now are starting to have police check points to prevent people to go to areas that have so far been less affected by the Virus.  

I heard Legault on TV today asking people not to to go to places like Cote du Nord and the Gaspé that haven't been infected much yet, but he didn't mention police checks. I imagine/hope that the QPP are just stopping casual visitors who don't really need to visit those areas. That said, the curve is still getting steeper in Quebec, so it's easy to understand the concern.

1 minute ago, John Mitchell said:

I heard Legault on TV today asking people not to to go to places like Cote du Nord and the Gaspé that haven't been infected much yet, but he didn't mention police checks. I imagine/hope that the QPP are just stopping casual visitors who don't really need to visit those areas. That said, the curve is still getting steeper in Quebec, so it's easy to understand the concern.

the police checks were introduced yesterday at 4pm.  It sounds that only residents would be allowed.... also includes all North and Saguenay...

We are getting hit badly because Spring break was in February, and there was a couple big weddings with people from NY on March 12th

We're currently allowed to travel to our allotment gardens to grow food, I'm planting stuff too early as I fear they might clamp down further on travel, (or that I might get the bug and have to  self isolate), although that's a bike ride of less than one mile. Ideally the spuds should go in mid April in these parts to avoid frost damage, but I'm planting now and they will have to take their chance with the weather. Even older hands tell me that potatoes normally recover from freezing, you lose the tops, but the plant survives to produce new, I hope that's true!

More generally I'm concerned about food supply. In the UK we import a lot of stuff, but a combination of a reduced workforce in the producing countries and travel restrictions may see a reduced quantity available. I suspect that, at best, we'll see  increased prices, and if things get worse, rationing. It's maybe time to consider planting in your own back garden!  Without a garden you can grow salad crops in containers on a balcony or in a back yard.

Bush tomato f1 hybrid Tumbler growing in a hanging basket, north east England, UK - Stock Image

Tomato Tumbler will grow happily in a reasonably sized hanging basket, even in the windswept wastes of NE England! Not frost tolerant however.
Edited by Bryan
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Bryan said:

We're currently allowed to travel to our allotment gardens to grow food, I'm planting stuff too early as I fear they might clamp down further on travel, (or that I might get the bug and have to  a self isolate), although that's a bike ride of less than one mile. Ideally the spuds should go in mid April in these parts to avoid frost damage, but I'm planting now and they will have to take their chance with the weather. Even older hands tell me that potatoes normally recover from freezing, you lose the tops, but the plant survives to produce new, I hope that's true!

More generally I'm concerned about food supply. In the UK we import a lot of stuff, but a combination of a reduced workforce in the producing countries and travel restrictions may see a reduced quantity available. I suspect that, at best, we'll see  increased prices, and if things get worse, rationing. It's maybe time to consider planting in your own back garden!  Without a garden you can grow salad crops in containers on a balcony or in a back yard.

Planting a veggie garden sounds like a good idea. Does your allotment have armed guards to repel the hordes of hungry barbarians? 😁

Actually, I'm only half-kidding. If food supplies do run short, things could get even more dystopian.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, John Mitchell said:

Planting a veggie garden sounds like a good idea. Does your allotment have armed guards to repel the hordes of hungry barbarians? 😁

Actually, I'm only half-kidding. If food supplies do run short, things could get even more dystopian.

Hopefully it won't come to that, but there have been reports of criminals breaking into closed business premises and stealing from trucks etc. It must have been a problem during the war years, but it seemed that people pulled together then, and I'd like to think that the same will happen now. Whatever, we'll continue to need Canadian grain, so maybe you could plant some of that in your garden John!

My Québécois daughter-in-law in Montreal keeps me informed. My step son, Hanny, got out of hospital Saturday (not a virus problem). 

I have 3 people here now who want to help me if I need it. So far I have not. All of them have brought me dry pasta and loo paper. The loo paper is dry too. 

The clocks changed yesterday in the UK and EU, perhaps for the last time in spring.

Edited by Ed Rooney
  • Love 1

I was stopped at a Garda (Irish Police) checkpoint on Saturday and asked what the purpose of my journey was.  I told the Garda I'm a press photographer and he waved me on and said 'stay safe'.  Accoring to the Irish Government's 'essential' job list, I'm an essential worker, which disturbs me a little as it reminds me of the movie 'Schindler's List'...

• Love 1

8 hours ago, Bryan said:

We're currently allowed to travel to our allotment gardens to grow food, I'm planting stuff too early as I fear they might clamp down further on travel, (or that I might get the bug and have to  self isolate), although that's a bike ride of less than one mile. Ideally the spuds should go in mid April in these parts to avoid frost damage, but I'm planting now and they will have to take their chance with the weather. Even older hands tell me that potatoes normally recover from freezing, you lose the tops, but the plant survives to produce new, I hope that's true!

Bush tomato f1 hybrid Tumbler growing in a hanging basket, north east England, UK - Stock Image

Tomato Tumbler will grow happily in a reasonably sized hanging basket, even in the windswept wastes of NE England! Not frost tolerant however.

I'm fortunate in having a very big fruit and veg garden. Even more fortunate is that I have to pass by part of it en route to my studio  and darkroom when I 'commute to work' every morning. I have permanent raised beds with asparagus, raspberries, strawberries and globe artichokes. I either eat those or use them as 'models'. There are some here: https://www.pete-davis-photography.com/platinum-printing

Also a greenhouse with tomatoes, cucumbers and mixed salad stuff. Between my ongoing photographic work in preparation for two forthcoming exhibitions, on hold but going ahead when this hiatus is over, keeping up with orders for print sales, plus my postgraduate teaching which is continuing online and the garden, I'm as busy as ever. Just as well in these times. 

Pete Davis

https://www.pete-davis-photography.com/

http://peteslandscape.blogspot.com/

https://www.instagram.com/petedavisphoto/

• Like 1

16 hours ago, BobD said:

I like the one where the wife couldn't fit in the car so travelled home in the boot.

You couldn't make it up.😁 

Here is the BBC report on that. Drove over 200 miles roundtrip to collect a £15 Ebay purchase and then on the return journey the car was quite full so.....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-52088987

2 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Andy, I'm wondering if the Garda asked to see a press card? I had one in NYC long ago, and another in Rome. Saigon called for two. Cops in NYC don't take your word for anything. 

No, Ed, I just pointed to my cameras and all was good.  I don't have a press card, but always carry tear sheets in the car in case I'm questioned. 

• Love 1

16 hours ago, Bryan said:

Hopefully it won't come to that, but there have been reports of criminals breaking into closed business premises and stealing from trucks etc. It must have been a problem during the war years, but it seemed that people pulled together then, and I'd like to think that the same will happen now. Whatever, we'll continue to need Canadian grain, so maybe you could plant some of that in your garden John!

Coincidentally, I'm taking pre-orders for "Canadian grain" right now. Better hurry while supplies last! 😛

I doubt that there will be food shortages here in the land of plenty. After all, Canada is a massive country with a population about the same as  California's. We'll be sure to put something aside for you guys if the going gets really tough.

Edited by John Mitchell

I0000ZbLyK5MNoLA.jpg

The part about shops is that some have been told not to sell Easter eggs because they are not essential goods.

I've asked for two Mars Bars and a Milky bar to be taken into consideration.😀

Edited by geogphotos

14 hours ago, spacecadet said:

What for, Ed? The bloke with the windows didn't seem very dangerous.

In America, we like to "shoot first and ask questions later." The policy is as American as apple pie. What do you mean—apple pie is not really American? 

• Love 1

17 hours ago, spacecadet said:

What for, Ed? The bloke with the windows didn't seem very dangerous.

Tell that to his wife. Travelling in the boot of a car on a motorway. Maybe he had special seatbelts. The police might be better armed with straightjackets.