Non essential journeys

3 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

In America, we like to "shoot first and ask questions later." The policy is as American as apple pie. What do you mean—apple pie is not really American? 

British police are expected to be citizens in uniforms not figures of repressive force. We want to be and are proud of the police, also proud of the NHS, of the judiciary, our Civil Service of the BBC. and much else.

Questioning and scrutiny come along with that pride. 

Isn't it wonderful not to have armed police throwing their weight around through fear, but doing the job with consensus, public support, and a sense of humour?

Edited by geogphotos
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Colblimp said:

I was stopped at a Garda (Irish Police) checkpoint on Saturday and asked what the purpose of my journey was.  I told the Garda I'm a press photographer and he waved me on and said 'stay safe'.  Accoring to the Irish Government's 'essential' job list, I'm an essential worker, which disturbs me a little as it reminds me of the movie 'Schindler's List'...

I am not entirely comfortable being labelled as a “key worker” because I have a press card.  Like you while working the police have been friendly  I was supposed to be going to Downing Street today but had to cancel as my wife may need to go to hospital today (non covid related) and a call from my son’s school indicated that he was not doing his homework.  (He told me he was).  Although I am enjoying brushing upon my simultaneous and quadratic equations to help him.  

Hopefully I can return to my news photography tomorrow, 

57 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

British police are expected to be citizens in uniforms not figures of repressive force. We want to be and are proud of the police, also proud of the NHS, of the judiciary, our Civil Service of the BBC. and much else.

Questioning and scrutiny come along with that pride. 

Isn't it wonderful not to have armed police throwing their weight around through fear, but doing the job with consensus, public support, and a sense of humour?

Blimey, Ian, you've said something sensible. Have a greenie...

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, John Morrison said:

Blimey, Ian, you've said something sensible.

John, could you please save your sarcasm and rudeness towards me because I am sick and tired of being teased and, yes, bullied by your constant niggling?

And I find it upsetting.

That would be great. Thanks. 👍

Edited by geogphotos
  • Dislike 1

38 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Good grief, people—I was kidding, of course! (And apple pie is British.)

Yes I know Ed. Hope my response didn't come over in a way I didn't intend towards you. 

Edited by geogphotos
  • Dislike 1

46 minutes ago, IanDavidson said:

I am not entirely comfortable being labelled as a “key worker” because I have a press card.  Like you while working the police have been friendly  I was supposed to be going to Downing Street today but had to cancel as my wife may need to go to hospital today (non covid related) and a call from my son’s school indicated that he was not doing his homework.  (He told me he was).  Although I am enjoying brushing upon my simultaneous and quadratic equations to help him.  

Hopefully I can return to my news photography tomorrow, 

I am not understanding the logic here. If you don't really consider yourself to be a key worker then why travel to Downing Street when it is already being covered by several other press photographers for yet another picture of a government minister or official not self-isolating. Surely that is not an essential journey if it is already being covered by other key workers. Perhaps press photographer stays at home to teach his son maths might be more important in documenting what is going on right now. Or maybne I am missing the point.

• Love 1

5 minutes ago, MDM said:

I am not understanding the logic here. If you don't really consider yourself to be a key worker then why travel to Downing Street when it is already being covered by several other press photographers for yet another picture of a government minister or official not self-isolating. Surely that is not an essential journey if it is already being covered by other key workers. Perhaps press photographer stays at home to teach his son maths might be more important in documenting what is going on right now. Or maybne I am missing the point.

Ian is a press photographer. He is allowed to go to work. It is essential for him to travel to get to his work. The law does not say that the work has to be essential.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

John, could you please save your sarcasm and rudeness towards me because I am sick and tired of being teased and, yes, bullied by your constant niggling?

I wasn't being sarcastic, Ian. Honest. You really did write something sensible...

• Love 2
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Ian is a press photographer. He is allowed to go to work. It is essential for him to travel to get to his work. The law does not say that the work has to be essential.

I know. I am not talking about what is legal. I am talking about what is ethical and socially responsible. We should not have to be bound by law, just commonsense. I was asking does he have to actual travel to Downing Street rather than take news pictures elsewhere - in other words is it essential for him to travel?

• Love 1

6 minutes ago, MDM said:

I know. I am not talking about what is legal. I am talking about what is ethical and socially responsible. We should not have to be bound by law, just commonsense. I was asking does he have to actual travel to Downing Street rather than take news pictures elsewhere - in other words is it essential for him to travel?

Presumably Ian knows his business, his sources, his subject, his markets. I certainly don't.

As to commonsense, quite right, the policeman who summonsed someone for buying items he decided were "non-essential" needs some of that.

Edited by spacecadet

1 minute ago, spacecadet said:

Presumably Ian knows his business, his sources, his subject, his markets. I certainly don't.

As to commonsense, tell that to the policeman who summonsed someone for buying items he decided were "non-essential".

Yes but he is putting it out here in a public forum and I am just giving an opinion based on the information provided. Social distancing only works if everyone buys into it. We can all find excuses if we go against the guidelines for social distancing. I am all for commonsense solutions.

As for commonsense, it is very easy to cherry pick the one or two silly cops and that is what makes the news as always. The real news is the many thousands of police out there risking their health and perhaps their lives for the common good. If everyone used commonsense, the police who are having to enforce social distancing could be much better employed elsewhere. 

• Love 1
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, MDM said:

Thanks for your response.  If you look at my profile you will see that the majority of my news photos recently are local.  However, I believe that multiple news sources are important Not all media organisations can afford pictures from my friends at PA and Getty.  The news agencies work to specific news agendas, I do not.  Alamy has been kind to me and if I can help by making highly marketable images (my Downing Street photos sell well) then I will do so.  It is still my job and I need to earn income....

In general terms a free and independent media is important.  We have seen regrettable occasions when the Government has restricted access to news briefings to selected media outlets..  No. 10 now has its own in-house photographer and video team releasing “news” footage that used to be covered by independent media.  In times of crisis it is most important that a free media continues to operate.

A demonstrator recently pointed out to me that the mere possession of a press card makes me more likely to obey police instruction etc, it did make me think...  

• Love 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 3

36 minutes ago, IanDavidson said:

A demonstrator recently pointed out to me that the mere possession of a press card makes me more likely to obey police instruction etc, it did make me think...  

The difference is you can't do your job from the very cell that the demonstrator wants to be taken to. You both speak truth to power, he shouts, you carry a big stick.

On re-reading the 2009 history of MI6, I note that the writer says that the mere fact that he was considered suitable to write it makes him unsuitable in some quarters.....

• Love 1

14 hours ago, aphperspective said:

Big road block just North of Clon on the N71 today Andy.

Yeah, shot it and one pic was used in the Irish Sun last night. 

Been trying to call you. 

• Love 1
  • Like 2

Cabin fever? This is cabin fever on steroids. It's impossible to form a sensible, logical attitude when things keep changing everyday. In the last three days, Barclays has closed an hour earlier each day—first 5PM, then 4, then 3. The Superdrug in Liverpool ONE has closed down.  

Does anyone know where I might find the entrance to Shangri-La? Or even their forum?

Edited by Ed Rooney
  • Love 1

In America, we like to "shoot first and ask questions later." 

Speaking of cabin fever I can't help but wonder about those "survivalists" retreated to their caves and cabins in their remoteness. I'm assuming they have deemed now is their moment. I fear they might very well shoot to kill if you ventured anywhere near them. Will we ever hear how this virus crisis worked for them?

6 minutes ago, Robert M Estall said:

In America, we like to "shoot first and ask questions later." 

Speaking of cabin fever I can't help but wonder about those "survivalists" retreated to their caves and cabins in their remoteness. I'm assuming they have deemed now is their moment. I fear they might very well shoot to kill if you ventured anywhere near them. Will we ever hear how this virus crisis worked for them?

I guess it is natural that everybody is looking at it as a validation for their views whether those are religious, political, environmental etc and hoping that a new society will emerge which reflects their own particular ideology or beliefs. 

Things could get much much worse - food shortages for example -  and I am very thankful not to be living in a country where civilians are armed with military grade weapons deemed necessary because other civilians are also armed with the same. 

Edited by geogphotos

29 minutes ago, BobD said:

I think cabin fever is setting in.

I think you're right :) 

Fascinatingly, I also note several almost text-book examples of the Dunning–Kruger effect in action.

DD

4 minutes ago, dustydingo said:

I think you're right :) 

Fascinatingly, I also note several almost text-book examples of the Dunning–Kruger effect in action.

DD

I haven't read the textbook, but might you not be exhibiting it, or at least appear to be exhibiting it, merely by mentioning it?😮

Edited by spacecadet