Non essential journeys

2 minutes ago, Jools Elliott said:

Course I know you well enough Ian! I know that sticking a camera on a tripod is about as likely as me going to Vietnam tomorrow. It ain't going to happen!

But! And here's a thought for you, and I guarantee you will earn your money back, go and buy the table top tripod from Manfrotto. You can stick it in your pocket as it's that small. Costs about £25. It will enable you to slightly bend your own rules.

mtpixi-b-v4.jpg

I have a Velbon D-700. Impulse buy. Dragged it around on various trips unused. 

Have owned it for years. Just started learning how to use it.

Don't hold your breath on focus stacking but I made well try,.

Edited by geogphotos
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

See. Even you have been turned to the dark side :D

With the focus stacking I would suggest sticking your camera on your tripod and trying to control it remotely. You still got your Canon 5D Mark III? If it has Wifi and you have a smart phone then see if you can control the camera using the Canon App. 

20 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

You may already be doing this, but if you can reverse the centre column and hang the camera underneath it may work out better. May not work with a pan&tilt, though. May beed a ball and socket. And you don't need to buy any more stuff. I'll get my coat.

5 minutes ago, John Morrison said:

Hook, line and sinker...

Keep trying John. Lessons in self-isolation from a man living in a van by the side of the road!

Edited by geogphotos

19 minutes ago, Jools Elliott said:

See. Even you have been turned to the dark side :D

With the focus stacking I would suggest sticking your camera on your tripod and trying to control it remotely. You still got your Canon 5D Mark III? If it has Wifi and you have a smart phone then see if you can control the camera using the Canon App. 

Nah, don't do mobile phones. 😐

10 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

You may already be doing this, but if you can reverse the centre column and hang the camera underneath it may work out better. May not work with a pan&tilt, though. May beed a ball and socket. And you don't need to buy any more stuff. I'll get my coat.

No worries I am improvising trying to use it for slide copying, winding up the central column for height then pointing it down onto slide on lightbox. 

Edited by geogphotos

1 minute ago, geogphotos said:

Nah, don't do mobile phones. 😐

Tablet?

By the way. I can see why you didn't use the Velbon D-700. For you it is TOO big. Definitely consider that Manfrotto one. As it really is miniscule.

4 minutes ago, Jools Elliott said:

Tablet?

By the way. I can see why you didn't use the Velbon D-700. For you it is TOO big. Definitely consider that Manfrotto one. As it really is miniscule.

Yes it really is for big old-skool video cameras. I bought it on impulse around 20 years ago.

Lugged it all around Australia and New Zealand and hardly used it - did have children to carry it though!

No tablet. Only device is a cheap Chromebook used for checking emails in life before CV.

Edited by geogphotos

3 hours ago, geogphotos said:

I first noticed it when I had no idea who you were and you jumped in to tell me unasked that my photos of Lanzarote were rubbish when actually they were much better than yours!

Fake news and alternative facts. How silly  Never said that. Nasty nasty nasty lies I say. Nasty nasty nasty lies. My pictures are better than yours, total nonsense and completely idiotic. Nasty fake news nasty nasty nasty ad Infinitum   😇😇😇😇😇😇😇

• Love 1

29 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

Yes it really is for big old-skool video cameras. I bought it on impulse around 20 years ago.

Lugged it all around Australia and New Zealand and hardly used it - did have children to carry it though!

No tablet. Only device is a cheap Chromebook used for checking emails in life before CV.

Last resort. You have the cable still that connects your computer to the camera? That will work!

And again, definitely get that Manfrotto. It weighs 190g so you won't be lugging it around.

26 minutes ago, Jools Elliott said:

Last resort. You have the cable still that connects your computer to the camera? That will work!

And again, definitely get that Manfrotto. It weighs 190g so you won't be lugging it around.

You are just not going to accept any excuse from me are you! 😀

Yes I have the cable that connects camera and computer. 

Okay I will find out about image stacking. Maybe. 

Edited by geogphotos

39 minutes ago, BobD said:

Whatever the argument between you both, dragging criticism of each others work into it should be unacceptable and shows a distinct  lack of professionalism.

It didn’t happen. Hearsay. I would have to see the original thread but what was said is nonsense. 

Edit: I would never tell someone their work was rubbish even if it was. The alleged event is not recent and as should have been clear from my response total nonsense.

Edited by MDM
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, geogphotos said:

You are just not going to accept any excuse from me are you! 😀

No! You should do though! I have thought every so often of just ordering it and sending it to you as a surprise. I bet you would find uses for it and you could actually add things such as long exposure cityscapes to your portfolio as it's strong enough to do them.

;)

3 hours ago, Jools Elliott said:

Go have fun with that macro lens and discover a new world! Oh, and find a way to stabilize it so you can do focus stacking. Now there's a challenge for you!

Did I hear somebody say focus stacking. One of my new Covid-19 activities. Fascinating stuff. Moderately difficult technique and lots to learn but worth experimenting with.

These are my first attempts and still life is not one of my strong points so please nobody say they are rubbish 😀

close-up-image-of-an-organic-lemon-using

A lemon

close-up-image-of-an-orange-and-lemon-us

A lemon accompanied by an orange

Edited by MDM

Stephen Kinnock MP criticised by police for visiting his Dad ( delivering essential supplies he says) on his 78th birthday.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/mar/29/stephen-kinnock-targeted-by-police-for-visiting-father-neil

Edited by geogphotos
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

Stephen Kinnock MP criticised by police for visiting his Dad ( delivering essential supplied he says) on his 78th birthday.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/mar/29/stephen-kinnock-targeted-by-police-for-visiting-father-neil

Perhaps you now have your answer, with police from 300 miles away telling him off for delivering groceries to a legally-defined "vulnerable person" and others arresting a 13-year-old  for failing to identify himself (same piece). No prisoners.

Edited by spacecadet

44 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Perhaps you now have your answer, with police from 300 miles away telling him off for delivering groceries to a legally-defined "vulnerable person" and others arresting a 13-year-old  for failing to identify himself (same piece). No prisoners.

I had my answer to my question on page 2. Nonetheless I think it an interesting, thought provoking topic.

Being in a rural area there have been still quite a lot of serious looking cyclists ( proper bikes, all the clothes) passing through but think that is also dropping off now. Before my health problem and certainly a few years ago I would easily walk 20 miles - would that be allowed now even if a circular walk?

My daughter in Bristol tells me about a friend of hers who went for a very brisk, fast local walk in the city centre then sat down for a rest and as she sat on the bench got told off and to go home.

Curtain-twitchers seem to be having a great time reporting neighbours on new police 'hot-lines' for taking more than one walk a day etc

Edited by geogphotos

8 minutes ago, meanderingemu said:

be thankful you are only at this level, Quebec we now are starting to have police check points to prevent people to go to areas that have so far been less affected by the Virus.  

In UK I think that it is just a matter of time before all travel within the country is shut down unless deemed absolutely essential. It's already being hinted at and politicians are under pressure to act. 

Edited by geogphotos

1 hour ago, geogphotos said:

Before my health problem and certainly a few years ago I would easily walk 20 miles - would that be allowed now even if a circular walk?

Curtain-twitchers seem to be having a great time reporting neighbours on new police 'hot-lines' for taking more than one walk a day etc

20 miles circular walk - see the legislation. Yes.

Curtain-twitchers - yes, a lot of them about. Give it a few weeks though and the tide will turn.