Post a good thing that happened in your life today

Betty LaRue

2 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Thanks for highlighting the treatments above. It is strange how things move on. I have been to the doctors a few times over the years with some complaint and was told, "Oh it is just a virus and it would clear up in time." ?????

Allan

Just to clarify, these drugs are not generally available in England. As far as I know, you have to be on a list which is decided on the basis of being significantly immunocompromised. I don't know if it is possible to be added to the list as I think it is decided on some fairly strict criteria from on high in the NHS, not by a GP.  It seems the situation is different in Wales which has been taking a very different approach to England throughout the pandemic.

I am not a medic but I think anti-viral drugs are reserved in general for serious conditions so that approach to letting viral illnesses run their course is probably still commonplace. However, Covid is not just any old viral disease - it is a potentially extremely nasty viral disease. It remains to be seen what the effects of Long Covid will be on public health and the economy in the long term. 

Edited by MDM
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Thanks for highlighting the treatments above. It is strange how things move on. I have been to the doctors a few times over the years with some complaint and was told, "Oh it is just a virus and it would clear up in time." ?????

Allan

I have probably mentioned this in the past, but I had the opposite experience.  I once delayed going to see the doctor with a persistent cold and was reprimanded for not coming sooner ! He specified antibiotics and the cold cleared up within a week.  Could have led to pneumonia apparently.

28 minutes ago, Bryan said:

I have probably mentioned this in the past, but I had the opposite experience.  I once delayed going to see the doctor with a persistent cold and was reprimanded for not coming sooner ! He specified antibiotics and the cold cleared up within a week.  Could have led to pneumonia apparently.

You must have developed a bacterial infection from the cold as antibiotics don't do anything for viral infections. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Bryan said:

Antibiotics are to treat bacterial illness not viral illness which is different or so I was lead to believe. I have had antibiotics a few times. One time it was for a cough which only came on when I laid down in bed. When I sat up it went away. Called the doc. and it was a bacterial infection in the lungs.

Allan

Must have been writing this as Mick was writing his reply.

Edited by Allan Bell
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Antibiotics are to treat bacterial illness not viral illness which is different or so I was lead to believe. I have had antibiotics a few times. One time it was for a cough which only came on when I laid down in bed. When I sat up it went away. Called the doc. and it was a bacterial infection in the lungs.

Allan

Must have been writing this as Mick was writing his reply.

Yes. Coughing up yellow/green phlegm is an indication of bacterial chest infection. Of course viral and bacterial infections can coexist. I was given some heavy duty antibiotics when hospitalised with Covid - presumably it was precautionary against secondary bacterial infection. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Dave Richards said:

Enough talk about Covid. It's here to stay!!

That is the crux of the problem. Unfortunately it is not going away and it is forever changing. Despite the putative mildness (whatever that actually means) of the Omicron variant, hospitalisations in the UK are at their highest level in a year and those working in frontline health care are telling a very different story to those propagating the notion that the pandemic is almost over.

Anyway this may be of interest to those who are still finding it difficult to get lateral flow test kits locally. I ordered lateral flow tests yesterday morning on the Gov.UK website and they have just arrived in the post. 

• Love 1
  • Like 2

I just got a text from Betty. She has made it through her ordeal and is moving on through "one pain pill at a time". She is doing physical therapy. She had a soft fall and they have done an X-ray today to see if there is any damage. She had told me she would try to text me from the hospital so I have been very worried not hearing from her. She is Ok though and sounding like herself.

Paulette

• Love 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, NYCat said:

I just got a text from Betty. She has made it through her ordeal and is moving on through "one pain pill at a time". She is doing physical therapy. She had a soft fall and they have done an X-ray today to see if there is any damage. She had told me she would try to text me from the hospital so I have been very worried not hearing from her. She is Ok though and sounding like herself.

Paulette

Glad to hear Betty made it through.  Hope the X-Rays are clean.

Jill

• Love 1

As a self-appointed, out-of-town expert on all things Scouse, I've discovered that Scouse has 4 levels. Here's the tasty one:

scouse-a-beef-and-vegetable-stew-popular

The other 3 Scouse levels are 1. Hardcore Scouse, understood only by natives of Liverpool's inner city, if even by them; 2. Midlevel Scouse, which to my shock and disbelieve I am starting to understand; and 3. Beatles Scouse, understood by most English speakers and some older Germans in Hamburg.

Edited by Ed Rooney
  • Love 2

12 hours ago, NYCat said:

Paulette

Thanks for the update Paulette, I've been wondering how Betty was doing. Sorry to hear that she had a fall!

Edited by Michael Ventura

1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

Have a great retirement, Steve. And thank you for your service.

Edo

46 minutes ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

All the very best Steve, look forward to seeing more of your yummy food images 😄

Carol

Thank you both. It will be nice to have some more photography time 🙂

• Love 1

2 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Have a great retirement, Steve. And thank you for your service.

Edo

1 hour ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

All the very best Steve, look forward to seeing more of your yummy food images 😄

Carol

I have to add my thanks too. If it were not for the brave souls like you our country would be much worse off.

Allan

• Love 2
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

I have to add my thanks too. If it were not for the brave souls like you our country would be much worse off.

Allan

Thanks Allen, that’s kind of you although I don’t consider myself as particularly brave, I always viewed it as just doing my job. Overall the general public are really supportive of our police and a few of them saved my skin on more than one occasion. 

• Love 2

5 hours ago, Steve Hyde said:

Well, after 41yrs with the Police Service (30yrs as a cop and 11yrs as a civilian investigator) I’ve taken the scary, but exciting, decision to retire at the end of March. As a result of putting in my notice to retire I received this comical text from my supervisor today.

Well done Steve ! 

If you're looking for something to do to fill your time you might consider gardening. The largest single representative group on our allotment site comprises police officers, retired and, one only, working.  You get to hear some fascinating tales sitting in the hut waiting for the rain to pass over.......

The second largest group comprises retired teachers and lecturers, nothing like as interesting.

• Love 1

6 hours ago, Steve Hyde said:

Well, after 41yrs with the Police Service (30yrs as a cop and 11yrs as a civilian investigator) I’ve taken the scary, but exciting, decision to retire at the end of March. As a result of putting in my notice to retire I received this comical text from my supervisor today.

’Hi Steve, I heard back from HR today. With your remaining leave you can finish on 23/02 at 1353hrs, lol’

its not all bad though. Hopefully I can take my meal break at the end of my last shift and finish at 1313hrs that day 🙂

Actually, all joking aside, I’ve few complaints. The force have been an excellent employer throughout my time with them.

Well done Mr H! 👍🎖️ !

• Love 1

10 hours ago, Bryan said:

Well done Steve ! 

If you're looking for something to do to fill your time you might consider gardening. The largest single representative group on our allotment site comprises police officers, retired and, one only, working.  You get to hear some fascinating tales sitting in the hut waiting for the rain to pass over.......

The second largest group comprises retired teachers and lecturers, nothing like as interesting.

Thank you Brian. Funnily enough we have a large set of allotments at the end of our road. It’s literally a two minute walk. We walk past them on one of our regular dog walks. They’re a sociable lot and nearly always speak as we pass by. In fact one little gang have made my wife an honourable member of their coffee group if she’s walking past at the right time. She’s always coming back with the odd courgette or cauliflower. We have discussed an allotment although there’s a long waiting list for the plots. I enjoy pottering around in the garden although splitting Hostas and growing tomatoes in pots is about as far as it goes. 

9 hours ago, Mr Standfast said:

Well done Mr H! 👍🎖️ !

Thank you James 🙂

• Love 1

• Alamy locked this topic