Post a good thing that happened in your life today

Betty LaRue

3 minutes ago, Bryan said:

Bah humbug etc 😉

Preparing for our Xmas day walk, but where to go?   The air temperature is higher at the coast, but the east wind stronger there. Inland of us historic Durham city is colder, but less windy, the predicted "feels like" temperature is minus 1 degC in both locations.   Need to be well wrapped up., mitts rather than gloves, I won't be taking many photos.

Shall we swap a few degrees? 43C today. 44C tomorrow. I give you 10, you give me 10. Deal?

2 minutes ago, gvallee said:

Shall we swap a few degrees? 43C today. 44C tomorrow. I give you 10, you give me 10. Deal?

Deal done 🙂😉

Back to accents. The average southern English person can't pronounce "sixth" correctly, even those trained in these matters on the BBC, they all drop the x.  Doesn't bother me, but drives the Mrs mad.

• Love 1

4 minutes ago, Bryan said:

Deal done 🙂😉

Back to accents. The average southern English person can't pronounce "sixth" correctly, even those trained in these matters on the BBC, they all drop the x.  Doesn't bother me, but drives the Mrs mad.

I don't think I have a problem with 'sixth' but I do have a huge problem with your vowels. All of them.

22 hours ago, MDM said:

Thanks Allan. The peace I am hoping for is that the builders who have been working next door for months will take a few days off so I have a rest from drills, hammers, angle grinders, power saws and various other noises and me not having to drown it out with really loud music or noise cancelling headphones.

I'm alone as well until sometime tomorrow - my wife has gone to Newcastle to collect our son so he doesn't have to take public transport home - way too risky for me at the moment. 

From working days with big contracts building and altering food factories the building trade stopped work for two weeks over Christmas and New Year.

Hope you can have two weeks peace at least.

Allan

Je ne parle pas Français is about half of my French. Pointing at food and drink and saying cette is the other half. Can the French say the name Jorge correctly? 

Good luck today, Gen. The LBC radio news just said this will be the hottest Christmas ever in parts of Australia. 🤪

• Love 1

1 minute ago, Ed Rooney said:

Je ne parle pas Français is about half of my French. Pointing at food and drink and saying cette is the other half. Can the French say the name Jorge correctly? 

Good luck today, Gen. The LBC radio news just said this will be the hottest Christmas ever in parts of Australia. 🤪

At least you can write 'francais' with a sedilla. I still haven't figured out how on my tablet. Not that I looked to be honest. 

We survived the day. 6pm now. It was diabolically hot. We had icecreams, went for a swim, stayed under our aircon. Finally opened the very chilled bubbly bottle and had a Christmas cheer. It will be hotter tomorrow. Panting...

• Love 1
  • Like 1

Merry Christmas! The Voices of Ascension sent a video of their Christmas concert... everyone masked except the soloists and conductor... I was there on a different night. Pretty emotional to have them back for the first time.

Paulette

• Love 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Bryan said:

Bah humbug etc 😉

Preparing for our Xmas day walk, but where to go?   The air temperature is higher at the coast, but the east wind stronger there. Inland of us historic Durham city is colder, but less windy, the predicted "feels like" temperature is minus 1 degC in both locations.   Need to be well wrapped up., mitts rather than gloves, I won't be taking many photos.

i'll take -1 real feel at this point.  heading into -14.  supposed to go up to -5, but with increasing clouds so warmer with worse light....     keep spare batteries close to body, and off i go....  

stay sane. 

1 hour ago, gvallee said:

At least you can write 'francais' with a sedilla. I still haven't figured out how on my tablet. Not that I looked to be honest. 

We survived the day. 6pm now. It was diabolically hot. We had icecreams, went for a swim, stayed under our aircon. Finally opened the very chilled bubbly bottle and had a Christmas cheer. It will be hotter tomorrow. Panting...

have you tried pressing on the c and holding, most systems i have seen then give you all the options including a ç .... (i also usually have toggle keyboard switches FR/EN, but this is convenient when i need other language characters like Š ø ț ) 

• Love 1

13 minutes ago, meanderingemu said:

have you tried pressing on the c and holding, most systems i have seen then give you all the options including a ç .... (i also usually have toggle keyboard switches FR/EN, but this is convenient when i need other language characters like Š ø ț ) 

Bingo! Merci Jean-François. 

• Love 2

Although the driving conditions too Bristol today weren't marvellous, listening to Joni Mitchell's Blue in the car more than compensated, making the journey very enjoyable. Joni's music was just as great today as when released just over 50 years ago.

• Love 2

10 minutes ago, sb photos said:

Although the driving conditions too Bristol today weren't marvellous, listening to Joni Mitchell's Blue in the car more than compensated, making the journey very enjoyable. Joni's music was just as great today as when released just over 50 years ago.

Joni's music can make anything better, especially the Blue album! Hard to believe it is 50 years old now.

• Love 2

20 hours ago, Bryan said:

Bah humbug etc 😉

It's just after 6am here, temperature predicted to be around 8C so not cold. Just leaving Horfield for a walk down to Bristol centre and then back for a family breakfast. Only carrying a single D750/24-70 'just in case'.

• Love 1
  • Like 1

As last year, due to Covid, we spent Xmas day alone, we did manage a nitheringly cold windy walk at the coast, and, sheltering behind a wall, I even took a photo of a pitching offshore support vessel battering its way between the piers and into  the relative calm of the harbour. We decided to walk inland to return to the car, a different world. 

But the good thing was an evening zoom meeting with our two sons and their partners. Fortunately our younger son's family testing +ve for Covid are in otherwise  good health without symptoms. Our elder son and kids are coming over later today, no peace for the wicked !

6 hours ago, Bryan said:

Xmas day alone,

We happened to do so again but only because of childrens' arrangements and not Bozo's diktats. Anyway it meant we didn't have to share the venison or the '83 claret. We had a Zoom at 0900GMT/2200NZDT and all those in the Northern Hemisphere will be together on Wednesday IRL fingers crossed.

The usual sherry party (well, first in 2 years) on Friday with a dozen or so, everyone is testing regularly.. Speaking to 1500 people over a couple of weeks at vaccine centres would have been another good way to get infected but it hasn't happened. People are risk-managing down here it seems.

Edited by spacecadet
  • Love 1

On 25/12/2021 at 10:15, gvallee said:

It was a French monk who worked out Vietnamese using the Western alphabet. It seems that he had a large box of accent marks to use and use them he did. In school the Vietnamese learn their language in both ABCs and Chinese characters. 

Thành phố Hồ Chí Minh -- yikes!

• Love 2

1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

It was a French monk who worked out Vietnamese using the Western alphabet. It seems that he had a large box of accent marks to use and use them he did. In school the Vietnamese learn their language in both ABCs and Chinese characters. 

Thành phố Hồ Chí Minh -- yikes!

the use of accents always seemed over the top in Vietnamese even coming from French. 

• Like 1

I feel many of you have been struggling with an answer of what to get me for Christmas 2021. I believe this is the case, because I've not gotten anything so far. 🤨

I believe I've found the answer. Perhaps a bit pricey but so practical. You all might consider getting one for Gen Downunder too. She's been having trouble with repairs lately. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9XhLca9JSk

Edited by Ed Rooney

30 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

I feel many of you have been struggling with an answer of what to get me for Christmas 2021. I believe this is the case, because I've not gotten anything so far. 🤨

I believe I've found the answer. Perhaps a bit pricey but so practical. You all might consider getting one for Gen Downunder too. She's been having trouble with repairs lately. 

The Mrs and I solved the Xmas present problem by buying a book each, to be kept under wraps until the kids arrived. We then lost the books, but did find them in time.  The idea was that we would have a present to give to each other in front of the grandchildren, but she read hers before Xmas arrived and in any event they never got wrapped.  I'm struggling through "What's Life", not an easy read, but something I feel I should know.....

I have enough difficulty parking our tiny caravan on some of those tight pitches you find on European campsites, that thing would be a nightmare. 😬

18 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

I see it is built by Dumbell.

Allan

• Alamy locked this topic