Post a good thing that happened in your life today

Betty LaRue

7 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Focus on moving deliberately in slow motion. And now . . . Echo awaits. 

Slow is the only gear I have at the moment. And I can’t wait to see Echo.

Speaking of ticking boxes, there has to be medical ones. They had me on around the clock oxygen until 2 days ago. My levels fell in the 40s, a wonder I survived. My blood pressure fell extremely low, also, but is looking better, now. Distolic fell in the high 30s.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Slow is the only gear I have at the moment. And I can’t wait to see Echo.

Speaking of ticking boxes, there has to be medical ones. They had me on around the clock oxygen until 2 days ago. My levels fell in the 40s, a wonder I survived. My blood pressure fell extremely low, also, but is looking better, now. Distolic fell in the high 30s.

Mistake above. Oxygen level fell to 80s.

Good to hear from you, Betty. Sorry that it has been such a painful ordeal so far. No doubt things will improve a little every day. My hip replacement surgery four years ago (hard to believe) was a piece of cake compared to what you are going through.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

Good to hear from you, Betty. Sorry that it has been such a painful ordeal so far. No doubt things will improve a little every day. My hip replacement surgery four years ago (hard to believe) was a piece of cake compared to what you are going through.

Thanks to all for best wishes.

• Love 1

Ahh, Mark, Ian! Thank you! 🥰

Last night, after meetings between the head nurse, my daughter, Kim and myself, we embarked on a new plan of administering my meds. It worked. I slept well and the nurse said my snores raised the roof! That’s a pretty picture, isn’t it?

I’m expecting one of my therapists to come through the door any minute to torture me. Although the physical therapist and I have had great conversations covering NCAA college football. I mentioned raising Monarch butterflies as he was leaving yesterday. He put on the brakes and was fascinated. He thinks his daughter will be interested in raising them.

I dabbed on a bit of lipstick today, and realized I’m over the hump. I’m finally caring about how I look. I also realize that’s a direct link to controlling my pain. I’m told about 3 more weeks and I’ll  be much better.

I feel I’m not in control. Other people will say when I can go home, not me. I’m rather antsy about that.

I had a few bites of scrambled eggs, one piece of bacon, and apple juice this morning. I’m hoping that’s enough to stop the free-falling weight loss.

Somehow, I feel a bit separated from all of you. Probably because I’m not a working photographer right now. Seems weird.

Betty

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

Ahh, Mark, Ian! Thank you! 🥰

Last night, after meetings between the head nurse, my daughter, Kim and myself, we embarked on a new plan of administering my meds. It worked. I slept well and the nurse said my snores raised the roof! That’s a pretty picture, isn’t it?

I’m expecting one of my therapists to come through the door any minute to torture me. Although the physical therapist and I have had great conversations covering NCAA college football. I mentioned raising Monarch butterflies as he was leaving yesterday. He put on the brakes and was fascinated. He thinks his daughter will be interested in raising them.

I dabbed on a bit of lipstick today, and realized I’m over the hump. I’m finally caring about how I look. I also realize that’s a direct link to controlling my pain. I’m told about 3 more weeks and I’ll  be much better.

I feel I’m not in control. Other people will say when I can go home, not me. I’m rather antsy about that.

I had a few bites of scrambled eggs, one piece of bacon, and apple juice this morning. I’m hoping that’s enough to stop the free-falling weight loss.

Somehow, I feel a bit separated from all of you. Probably because I’m not a working photographer right now. Seems weird.

Betty

Get well soon!

• Love 1

Not a major win, but one of those necessary small pleasures: I dialed in the brewing process on my BonJour coffee dripper and with  23 or 24 day old coffee got the best mug ever from the local growers' coop roasted beans.  My helper brought in more freshly roasted beans (the coop has someone or some people who know how to run a Probat, nice moderate roast) as I finished off the older beans and explained why I was using a hand grinder and let him see and smell the grounds it produced.  Had been grinding a bit coarser, but what I set last night works better in the dripper and probably will work better with the pour overs.  My helper traded some dog walking for the automatic coffee machine, though I've gotten him using a French Press and the electric whirly blade grinder (I used it for flax seed and spices) when he wants coffee here.   I also gave him a smaller French press which he uses at home, but it's a one mug press.

My favorite grocery store wasn't out of the bronze cut square spaghetti, but had moved it from the specialties aisle to the regular pasta shelf.  And there was more bronze cut tagliatelle in the specialties section.   So now I have most of what I need for pasta putanesca: black olives, anchovies with capers (not the best thing for the dish with those mixed, but hey, it's Nicaragua), garlic, red pepper flakes.   If y'all don't know the YouTube channel "Pasta Grammar," I recommend it.  The Jinotega-made "Parmesan" isn't really but is a tasty enough semi-hard eating cheese.  While there is a food distributor in Managua that sells and delivers the real Parm, it's only available in half wheels or wheels and costs quite a lot.   LaColonia does have a second Parm that's made in the US. 

And I didn't hit anyone with the electric wheelchair yesterday.   Friday seems to be a good day to go since Thursday and Friday are stocking days so not too many customers. 

Next Friday, I'll try to get photos of the store.   I've had worse shopping experiences in rural Virginia and in the food desert in Philadelphia where I had to take the train into Center City to do shopping except on the summer days where an Amish family with a English driver brought in fresh vegetables once a week.  Here I can get basic staples in walking distance even on crutches.

Edited by Rebecca Ore
revising muscle memory mistake.

23 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

Good grief!! 4 years? 
And painful, yes. Not for sissies. PT worked me so hard today that I had to use a wheelchair to get back to my room.

• Love 1

Good to hear you're on the mend Betty !

My good thing yesterday is that my wife is quickly recovering from her minor op and her facial scars are rapidly receding. We enjoyed a long coastal walk in sunshine and I took a few photos. Stopping for a bite to eat in a small cafe we were offered toasted cheese scones, I've never had that before and they were quite tasty. 

The builders are making excellent progress with our small house extension. I'm very impressed with the attention to detail by the bricklayer, despite working in cold temperatures he's something of a perfectionist, kept going by numerous mugs of coffee. The garden is a mess, but we've yet to endure the wall coming down and the resulting dust within the house. I remember David Kilpatrick - come back David - advising us to photograph anything we buy, and the building work is providing some new opportunities.

• Love 1
  • Like 1

I had my shower, washed my hair and feel squeaky clean. Pain level, 2.  It seems I’ve become the favorite patient around here, or so I was told. <blush> The sun is shining, and it’s good to be alive.

If I could only muster a bit of spit in my mouth…Those painkillers do a number on that. My mouth is so dry I can barely talk! 

• Love 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Betty LaRue said:

I had my shower, washed my hair and feel squeaky clean. Pain level, 2.  It seems I’ve become the favorite patient around here, or so I was told. <blush> The sun is shining, and it’s good to be alive.

If I could only muster a bit of spit in my mouth…Those painkillers do a number on that. My mouth is so dry I can barely talk! 

I am so glad they finally got a handle on helping you with your pain. So nice to hear you being your usual cheery self. I'm not surprised that you are the favorite.

Paulette

• Love 3

21 hours ago, John Morrison said:

They say that to all the girls, Betty. 😎

I know! A fickle bunch!

21 hours ago, NYCat said:

I am so glad they finally got a handle on helping you with your pain. So nice to hear you being your usual cheery self. I'm not surprised that you are the favorite.

Paulette

Thank you, Paulette. I don’t know how I would have gotten through without a positive attitude. It was definitely tested.

I’m not looking forward to PT this morning. It seems my right leg has gone on holiday and left a sharp pain behind. It’s a good thing I’m not allowed to walk without a walker.

• Love 1

Good to hear you are on the road to recovery. Dry mouth?  It was suggested to me that sucking a fruit jelly sweet helps to keep the mouth lubricated. There are even medical gummies to be had which are supposed to do the same job.

Allan

2 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

I know! A fickle bunch!

Thank you, Paulette. I don’t know how I would have gotten through without a positive attitude. It was definitely tested.

I’m not looking forward to PT this morning. It seems my right leg has gone on holiday and left a sharp pain behind. It’s a good thing I’m not allowed to walk without a walker.

Physiotherapists are wonderful people and they do a world of good. However, keep in mind that in medieval times, they would have been working in torture chambers. 😉

I met an old friend at a photo gallery that turned out to be closed! I had thought to check whether it was open on Mondays and the website said it was. Apparently, almost all of the Chelsea art district is closed on Mondays. Arrrgh. We walked around a bit and then had lunch at the Empire Diner. Here is a nice piece about the history and the time I first knew it...http://www.pcblackmagic.com/empire/history.htm  It was such a bad neighborhood in the 70s that we would take a taxi to and from. It was the place to go after a show. Fun to be there again. Then I walked home down a mostly deserted High Line and through the meatpacking district. No more meat now… or trans hookers. My how things change. New York is an amazing place even though it seems a bit zombie-like lately with empty storefronts and Broadway shows having to close because they've had to cancel too many performances because of Omicron in the cast. Sad. There are still a lot of huge modern buildings being built in the Chelsea art district but one wonders who will be in them. The area is so dead right now. I suppose its time will come again.

Paulette

Edited by NYCat
  • Love 2

6 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

The 32 staples in my back are itching like crazy.

Don't scratch them too hard you might pull them out.

Allan

On the subject of Itchy stitches, years ago I was in plaster from Ankle to Hip on one leg due having my knee rebuilt after being to close to a rather large bang while serving in the armed forces. The stitches were itching like mad so my brainwave idea was to straighten out a wire coat hanger, slide it inside the plaster to scratch the itch, unfortunately the wire got tangled up in a stitch, the whole lot had to be cut off and re stitched/re plastered much to the annoyance of the surgeon!!!. 

36 minutes ago, aphperspective said:

On the subject of Itchy stitches, years ago I was in plaster from Ankle to Hip on one leg due having my knee rebuilt after being to close to a rather large bang while serving in the armed forces. The stitches were itching like mad so my brainwave idea was to straighten out a wire coat hanger, slide it inside the plaster to scratch the itch, unfortunately the wire got tangled up in a stitch, the whole lot had to be cut off and re stitched/re plastered much to the annoyance of the surgeon!!!. 

I did the same thing with my arm cast, only I used a clean chopstick from a sushi order!  It worked great (no tangling with the staples) but when the nurse took off the cast, she could tell I was scratching and gave me HELL, saying that I could have caused an infection.  She was right, I'm sure, but the itching was awful!

8 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

I did the same thing with my arm cast, only I used a clean chopstick from a sushi order!  It worked great (no tangling with the staples) but when the nurse took off the cast, she could tell I was scratching and gave me HELL, saying that I could have caused an infection.  She was right, I'm sure, but the itching was awful!

Well the Captain Surgeon did threaten me with everything from Court martial to firing squad!! if I ever darkened the doors of his operating theatre again, after spend 18 hours in the first place fixing my duff limb. 

• Alamy locked this topic