Jump to content

Post a good thing that happened in your life today


Betty LaRue
 Share

Recommended Posts

On the subject of Itchy stitches, years ago I was in plaster from Ankle to Hip on one leg due having my knee rebuilt after being to close to a rather large bang while serving in the armed forces. The stitches were itching like mad so my brainwave idea was to straighten out a wire coat hanger, slide it inside the plaster to scratch the itch, unfortunately the wire got tangled up in a stitch, the whole lot had to be cut off and re stitched/re plastered much to the annoyance of the surgeon!!!. 

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, aphperspective said:

On the subject of Itchy stitches, years ago I was in plaster from Ankle to Hip on one leg due having my knee rebuilt after being to close to a rather large bang while serving in the armed forces. The stitches were itching like mad so my brainwave idea was to straighten out a wire coat hanger, slide it inside the plaster to scratch the itch, unfortunately the wire got tangled up in a stitch, the whole lot had to be cut off and re stitched/re plastered much to the annoyance of the surgeon!!!. 

 

I did the same thing with my arm cast, only I used a clean chopstick from a sushi order!  It worked great (no tangling with the staples) but when the nurse took off the cast, she could tell I was scratching and gave me HELL, saying that I could have caused an infection.  She was right, I'm sure, but the itching was awful!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

 

I did the same thing with my arm cast, only I used a clean chopstick from a sushi order!  It worked great (no tangling with the staples) but when the nurse took off the cast, she could tell I was scratching and gave me HELL, saying that I could have caused an infection.  She was right, I'm sure, but the itching was awful!

Well the Captain Surgeon did threaten me with everything from Court martial to firing squad!! if I ever darkened the doors of his operating theatre again, after spend 18 hours in the first place fixing my duff limb. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Chuck Nacke said:

Had my first Giant Slalom ski race in 40 + years and finished in the top half of 200+ skiers.  Not happy about

my performance at 63 years-old, but finished, did not miss a gate.  "It Sucks being old.........."

 

Chuck

 63!! That is NOT old.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'll be turning 73 next week, and in many respects I feel better than I did at 63. Old age is a legitimate stage of life that has its rewards. I think that by wanting to remain "forever young," we miss out on the benefits of being "old." There are societies that have venerated old age (e.g. indigenous cultures). Ours has decided that it is something to avoid at all costs. I say this as a member of the "don't trust anyone over 30" generation. Now I don't trust anyone under 60. 👴

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’m doing very well. I have ticked off a lot of boxes with the therapists. My biggest fear was getting out of bed when I needed too,

I can, and it’s easy. I took a shower by myself today. Because of the fall I had when I arrived at Rehab, they don’t want me scratching my nose  unless someone attends.

My therapist discovered very low BP today, 70s over 32. Yes, 32. I feel lightheaded when that happens. It is a looming problem.

Edited by Betty LaRue
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Betty LaRue said:

I’m do very well. I have ticked off a lot of boxes with the therapists. My biggest fear was getting out of bed when I needed too,

I can, and it’s easy. I took a shower by myself today. Because of the fall I had when I arrived at Rehab, they don’t want me scratching my nose  unless someone attends.

My therapist discovered very low BP today, 70s over 32. Yes, 32. I feel lightheaded when that happens. It is a looming problem.


Glad to read that things seem. to be coming along pretty well.  How is the pain? Are you off pain meds?  Yes, independence is key, I’m sure Echo will be thrilled to see you home!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Michael, the pain is much better. I still have some but hard to tell if I can go off pain meds. I think they’ll take out the staples tomorrow. My taste is off…everything tastes very blunted, like when I had chemo. I had 3 bites of a tuna sandwich today, along with 2 bites of potato salad and 1 nibble of a pickle.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Michael, the pain is much better. I still have some but hard to tell if I can go off pain meds. I think they’ll take out the staples tomorrow. My taste is off…everything tastes very blunted, like when I had chemo. I had 3 bites of a tuna sandwich today, along with 2 bites of potato salad and 1 nibble of a pickle.

 

Pleased you pain has eased and it will be good to get the staples out. You will feel even better once you can come off the pain killers.  Wow BP as low as that! Hope they find an answer soon and find a solution to prevent it happening again.

 

Allan

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Is your leg OK now? So glad you can do things yourself. Waiting for someone to help you can be very frustrating. Keep up the happy attitude!

 

Paulette

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

 

Pleased you pain has eased and it will be good to get the staples out. You will feel even better once you can come off the pain killers.  Wow BP as low as that! Hope they find an answer soon and find a solution to prevent it happening again.

 

Allan

 

I have been plagued with the blood pressure issues since surgery, Allan. In fact, it may have caused my fall. I do think the pain meds is causing or contributing to my BP issues.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

I have been plagued with the blood pressure issues since surgery, Allan. In fact, it may have caused my fall. I do think the pain meds is causing or contributing to my BP issues.

 

Hope they sort the BP problem soon. Surely they must have some idea what is causing it if it is attributable to the surgery. Or maybe they do not want to admit surgery caused it.

 

I am in the process of assisting with a survey being run by the University of Cambridge in screening for Atrial Fibrillation with ECG to reduce strokes. I have a small ECG meter sat on my desk and have to take my ECG 4 times a day for three weeks. Into my forth day today. The machine transmits my readings somewhere when it has finished doing the reading. The results will not be available for a few weeks after it is finished. Hope I am ok and do not need anything doing.

 

Allan

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

I have been plagued with the blood pressure issues since surgery, Allan. In fact, it may have caused my fall. I do think the pain meds is causing or contributing to my BP issues.

 

That sounds like a pretty good theory. Some of those pain meds can be very powerful. They must be hard on the body.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have bad news, but for continuity, I’ll continue here.
When I shower, the people here have not used the protective sticky bandages to keep my incision dry. Then the wet one stays on until they decide to do a bandage change.

Today, I went to the surgeon’s office to get the staples removed. The PA found the staples/skin infected. Not only do I have to wait another week to get them removed, I have to take a round of antibiotics. The PA was furious. And I’m not happy.

  • Sad 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, NYCat said:

Is your leg OK now? So glad you can do things yourself. Waiting for someone to help you can be very frustrating. Keep up the happy attitude!

 

Paulette

No, my leg is still behaving badly. My happy face is slipping.

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sorry to hear of your recent woes, but stay positive Betty, you'll get through it.

 

On the good thing front, the winter continues relatively mild here, with the prospect of double digit temperatures at the weekend. My overwintering broad beans may yet  survive,  but there's a long way to go. There was a news report of snow causing mayhem in Athens, so anything can happen. 

 

Our house extension continues apace, and the builders have assured me that they won't be breaching the house wall until the extension is fully glazed. All of the guys involved are getting on a bit, in their early sixties with the exception of the labourer who confirmed that he was 59 and beginning to feel his age. I used to resent having a desk job and being stuck indoors, but watching these people work in near freezing temperatures makes me realise I've had an easy time. We're keeping them supplied with hot drinks, a convoluted order, some for tea others coffee, no sugar, one sugar, two sugars etc.

Edited by Bryan
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

I have bad news, but for continuity, I’ll continue here.
When I shower, the people here have not used the protective sticky bandages to keep my incision dry. Then the wet one stays on until they decide to do a bandage change.

Today, I went to the surgeon’s office to get the staples removed. The PA found the staples/skin infected. Not only do I have to wait another week to get them removed, I have to take a round of antibiotics. The PA was furious. And I’m not happy.

 

I hope somebody is giving hell to the people who are not taking care of you properly. The staff of a hospital from top to bottom is so important. I was fortunate to have my cancer treatment at Sloan-Kettering and I had a conversation once with a technician about the pride they feel in the place. It kept them always wanting to do their best and I benefited from that.

 

Paulette

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

I have bad news, but for continuity, I’ll continue here.
When I shower, the people here have not used the protective sticky bandages to keep my incision dry. Then the wet one stays on until they decide to do a bandage change.

Today, I went to the surgeon’s office to get the staples removed. The PA found the staples/skin infected. Not only do I have to wait another week to get them removed, I have to take a round of antibiotics. The PA was furious. And I’m not happy.

 

Lets hope this is the last incident and your permanently on the mend soon. My only experience of staples was when I had my left hip replaced around 7 years ago and all went well. If you aren't already, it might be useful keeping a record of any adverse incidents and relevant dates and times just in case you end up taking legal action.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Bryan said:

Sorry to hear of your recent woes, but stay positive Betty, you'll get through it.

 

On the good thing front, the winter continues relatively mild here, with the prospect of double digit temperatures at the weekend. My overwintering broad beans may yet  survive,  but there's a long way to go. There was a news report of snow causing mayhem in Athens, so anything can happen. 

 

Our house extension continues apace, and the builders have assured me that they won't be breaching the house wall until the extension is fully glazed. All of the guys involved are getting on a bit, in their early sixties with the exception of the labourer who confirmed that he was 59 and beginning to feel his age. I used to resent having a desk job and being stuck indoors, but watching these people work in near freezing temperatures makes me realise I've had an easy time. We're keeping them supplied with hot drinks, a convoluted order, some for tea others coffee, no sugar, one sugar, two sugars etc.

You & your wife are good people. I would feel fortunate to work for you.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, NYCat said:

 

I hope somebody is giving hell to the people who are not taking care of you properly. The staff of a hospital from top to bottom is so important. I was fortunate to have my cancer treatment at Sloan-Kettering and I had a conversation once with a technician about the pride they feel in the place. It kept them always wanting to do their best and I benefited from that.

 

Paulette

My three children as a group braced my caregivers upon return from the surgeon’s office. My daughters had tears of sorrow and fury. And you don’t want to mess with my son. The head cheese of the hospital came to my room later and interviewed us. I’m getting antibiotics twice a day and a dressing change twice a day.

Edited by Betty LaRue
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.