Post a good thing that happened in your life today

Betty LaRue

Luis, my helper, mastered button holes with the button hole attachment I had for the treadle machine I gave him, and for this past week's dog walking, traded me a collapsible plastic table and a plastic chair that I'd had upstairs for close ups and still lives.   I asked if he was certain that would be a good even trade.  (Otherwise, we had to go to the bank).  He said yes.  His other old lady, the British Nurse (ret.) who lives three blocks away, said he might not have a table to eat on as they only had one bed for the three of them.   Luis did some alterations and repairs on some clothes for me, installing buttonholes as needed.   I'd given him the sewing machine a couple of years ago.  These alternations were free, but I may commission some clothes in the future. 

I can shoot tabletops downstairs and can rig up white poster board coves, but the plastic table I traded Luis for dog walking would be very useful for laying out cloth for cutting.  It's relatively easy to take apart and fold up, too.   And he might even sell it. 

I think he has some patterns with what I gave him.   I have a practice of getting rid of things if I don't use them for two years unless they are something I need for specific emergencies, like a vacuum/floor washer/wet vac, which comes in handy if rains flood into the house.   Luis and his wife got their first refrigerator when my British friend gave them her refrigerator which wasn't working but which his father could repair.  He's 30 or 31 now.  

If I can ever afford another Sony ASP-C camera (the a6400 is what I have in mind), I'll give Lewis the a6000 if it's still functional as a camera. The pop-up flash isn't working but nothing further has gone wrong since that stopped working a few years ago.   This is a sometime in the future purchase, sometime after I cancel my Netflix subscription and make some $$ and $$$ Alamy sales, if ever.  I have various Godox strobes and flashes, so could thrown in a small Nissin flash.   Godox has a small one that would work with my other Godox gear, but all of this depends on have more money, and isn't critical.

One of the things that happens here is gift exchange between friends, and Luis is a friend and not just a helper.  I'm still having trouble getting around so Luis arranges taxi rides with pickup at my door and then return from the grocery stores for around $3.50.   So, we'll go shopping a bit earlier than Friday next, and I'll pay him for cleaning the house and a bit extra for running errands.

I've got around 50 more photos from the old portfolio to put up, which is less than half of what I had up last year at the max.   May go over what I had up and see if I can rescue any others or just do a lot of table tops until I see what my right knee is going to do. 

1 hour ago, Rebecca Ore said:

I have a practice of getting rid of things if I don't use them for two years unless they are something I need for specific emergencies, like a vacuum/floor washer/wet vac, which comes in handy if rains flood into the house.   

If I can ever afford another Sony ASP-C camera (the a6400 is what I have in mind), I'll give Lewis the a6000 if it's still functional as a camera. The pop-up flash isn't working but nothing further has gone wrong since that stopped working a few years ago.   This is a sometime in the future purchase, sometime after I cancel my Netflix subscription and make some $$ and $$$ Alamy sales, if ever.  I have various Godox strobes and flashes, so could thrown in a small Nissin flash.   Godox has a small one that would work with my other Godox gear, but all of this depends on have more money, and isn't critical.

I wish that I could follow your lead and dispose of stuff that is no longer used we could free up space for things that are actually beneficial, but I find it hard to do. My grandfather used to say " If it eats no meat keep it", and I guess that's the way I am. This ranges from a useful stock of rusty nails at the allotment garden, to all of my old film cameras and older digital kit. I have a collection of old film cameras on display on a shelf in my office, I find them attractive objects. 

My Sony a6000 suffered a shutter failure after a hard life and general misuse. I can still use it to charge batteries, and it will still function as a camera after a fashion, but the kit lens gave up the ghost some years ago and our local repair man was unable to fix it. It still lies on my desk, I need to throw it out. I now use an a6500, a fine piece of kit, although the paint has already disappeared from the corners of the body, while I don't use any Sony lenses, relying instead on my collection of old film gear and a relatively new manual focus wide angle. I have a rule that any photo gear has to be bought from photo income, and with that decreasing, despite improving sales, I can't see any new purchases in the foreseeable future.

Edited by Bryan
  • Love 1

7 hours ago, Bryan said:

I have a collection of old film cameras on display on a shelf in my office, I find them attractive objects. 

I have such a display too but in a glass fronted cabinet to keep the dust off them.  Some I picked up are older than me.

Allan

I hear a dove this morning. We used to get them regularly but haven't seen any for a while. I think they are my favorite bird. Such a pretty sound as well as being a beautiful creature.

Paulette

• Love 1

1 hour ago, NYCat said:

I hear a dove this morning. We used to get them regularly but haven't seen any for a while. I think they are my favorite bird. Such a pretty sound as well as being a beautiful creature.

Paulette

I agree. Are you talking about the Mourning Dove? I love them. I used to have a lot of them pecking up the seed fallen from my bird feeders in Oklahoma City. Then the Eurasian collared doves came, a bigger bird, and chased the smaller mourning doves away.

Eurasian collared dove

HM9DXD.jpg

Mourning dove

B039P2.jpg

Edited by Betty LaRue
  • Love 2

These are cute birds. I even like the Herring Gules I see here in Liverpool. They remind me of the French -- sometimes quarrelsome and trouble. But I like those gulls and I like the French too. I don't feel that anyone needs to be perfect.

Still no heat or hot water in my flat. On Allan's suggestion, I bought a space heater today. A big help. Cold showers? No thanks. I still remember how to do a military wash. 

Hey, Putin! Back off! I'll meet you on the mat. You do your judo and I'll do my tae kwon do. Okay, he'll probably win. But if I can connect once with my special strike, he'll be toast. Having an ex-KGB in charge of Russia is like having an ex-CIA dude in charge of America. Cut it out!

2 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

I agree. Are you talking about the Mourning Dove? I love them. I used to have a lot of them pecking up the seed fallen from my bird feeders in Oklahoma City. Then the Eurasian collared doves came, a bigger bird, and chased the smaller mourning doves away.

Eurasian collared dove

HM9DXD.jpg

Mourning dove

B039P2.jpg

Yes, Betty. The Mourning Dove. They do seem like peaceful birds but when a neighbor was feeding them with a flat bowl there were many contests to get to the seed. One smart bird just sat in the bowl.

Paulette

14 hours ago, Bryan said:

I wish that I could follow your lead and dispose of stuff that is no longer used we could free up space for things that are actually beneficial, but I find it hard to do. My grandfather used to say " If it eats no meat keep it", and I guess that's the way I am. This ranges from a useful stock of rusty nails at the allotment garden, to all of my old film cameras and older digital kit. I have a collection of old film cameras on display on a shelf in my office, I find them attractive objects.

I do regret trading off the Leica IIIf.  Luis's more practical suggestion was to sell things one isn't using.  I have some things that would be useful if I ever returned to the US, like a long winter coat.   The big question a paraphrase of  William Morris: "Is it beautiful or useful?"  Morris said to have nothing in your house that wasn't beautiful or useful.  My further question is "Can I take a better photo of it?" 

2 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Hey, Putin! Back off! I'll meet you on the mat. You do your judo and I'll do my tae kwon do. Okay, he'll probably win. But if I can connect once with my special strike, he'll be toast. Having an ex-KGB in charge of Russia is like having an ex-CIA dude in charge of America. Cut it out!

I believe George H.W. Bush was ex-CIA head.  I'd rather have a ex-intelligence guy who had been competent as head of a country than a rich kid who never grew up.  Putin, though, has always been a cowboy. 

20 hours ago, Bryan said:

My grandfather used to say " If it eats no meat keep it",

I gotta remember this one when my hubby complains about all the old material, hardware and other stuff I have kept over the last 20 years for products I don't make anymore.

Jill

6 hours ago, NYCat said:

Yes, Betty. The Mourning Dove. They do seem like peaceful birds but when a neighbor was feeding them with a flat bowl there were many contests to get to the seed. One smart bird just sat in the bowl.

Paulette

That's my issue with the Mourning Doves. Lovely birds, but even the Blue Jays won't take them on, and the just sit in the feeder like it's a nest. Funny, the smaller finches don't seem intimidated at all by the Mourning Doves, but the Jays won't go near them.

Jill

Love Mourning Doves too! Their coo is just so sublime.  I taught myself, when I was young boy, to copy the classic call by blowing air through my cupped hands.  Wish I could do a sample here.  I taught my son to do it when he was young and he is still better than I am, to this day/

9 hours ago, Cecile Marion said:

Love it! What an unusual looking bird. 

As far as wild life goes Australia is a most unusual country.

Allan

11 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

This little space heater is a marvel. It's 22 C in this studio flat now. God bless John Lewis and all his partners.

Pleased to be of help Edo.

Allan

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Still no heat or hot water in my flat. On Allan's suggestion, I bought a space heater today. A big help. Cold showers? No thanks. I still remember how to do a military wash. 

I always thought space heaters were very large and for use in warehouses.  I'm glad you now have heat Ed and hopefully it won't be too long before your hot water gets restored.  I always worry if our heating packs up what the best way of heating the house would be, previously we've relied on a fan heater which is rubbish and very inefficient so it's good know there are alternatives around.  Can I ask which model you got, there seem to be several....

Carol

• Alamy locked this topic